Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Shall We Do Local Chuch?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    TM, I went ahead and zapped the other copy of the thread per your request.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Faith
    BYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk
    There would be strict rules against the involvement of the pastor's relatives (besides his wife) in church leadership. Under no circumstances could any of his relatives be employees of the church. Under no circumstances would the son, son-in-law, other relative be allowed to succeed as the pastor of the church. This would probably also include the other major leader positions in the church. I am really trying hard to avoid having the church becoming the family business.
    The very first "church" employed relatives. Even though he wasn't one of the original twelve Apostles, James took over the leadership of the church from his brother Jesus in Jerusalem. In ancient times, it wasn't uncommon for the relative of a rabbi to take his position should he die. Furthermore, if Hegesippus (c.110-180) is to be believed (as quoted by Eusebius), James' successor upon his martyrdom was Jesus' and James' cousin, Simeon

Source: Eusebius of Caesarea, Church History, Book III, Chapter 11

1. After the martyrdom of James and the conquest of Jerusalem which immediately followed, it is said that those of the apostles and disciples of the Lord that were still living came together from all directions with those that were related to the Lord according to the flesh (for the majority of them also were still alive) to take counsel as to who was worthy to succeed James.

2. They all with one consent pronounced Symeon, the son of Clopas, of whom the Gospel also makes mention; to be worthy of the episcopal throne of that parish. He was a cousin, as they say, of the Saviour. For Hegesippus records that Clopas was a brother of Joseph.

© Copyright Original Source

Eusebius repeats this in book 4 as well. Also notice that the apostles and disciples came together with the other relatives of Jesus which hints that they were in leadership roles as well.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    What, specifically, did you have in mind with a "contract"?
    In this post

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post45560 you listed 3 kinds of governing documents. You didn't mention the contract with the pastor. I wonder why. Another reason is, I was curious.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth Im after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    King's Gambit, maybe change "chuch" to "church" in the thread title?? And after fixing the spelling, maybe delete this post??
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth Im after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
    King's Gambit, maybe change "chuch" to "church" in the thread title?? And after fixing the spelling, maybe delete this post??
    I don't have the right to edit posts to correct spelling, sorry.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In this post

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post45560 you listed 3 kinds of governing documents. You didn't mention the contract with the pastor. I wonder why. Another reason is, I was curious.
    Ah! I didn't list a "contract with the Pastor" because, in my personal experience, I have never had to deal with that.

The Bylaws and/or the Policies & Procedures line out what is expected -- how to call a Pastor, what his duties and responsibilities are, compensation package, termination, etc.

The only time I've seen this as a separate document would be in the case of an "intentional interim". Where the Church is without a Pastor, but is not yet ready to call the next permanent Pastor. Perhaps the previous Pastor was a bad experience, so they need some time before another Pastor. In that case, there will often be an "intentional interim" --- a Pastor (bivocational or retired) who will "fill in" for an agreed upon definite time period, and who, by contract, will NOT seek, or be considered for, the position as Permanent Pastor.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I hereby pledge to no longer post when tired or rushed .

Bad things happen.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I hereby pledge to no longer post when tired or rushed .

Bad things happen.
    Meh... I went through a period when EVERY THREAD I STARTED had a misspelling in the title.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Meh... I went through a period when EVERY THREAD I STARTED had a misspelling in the title.
    I got to point out nearly every one

Good times.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I got to point out nearly every one

Good times.
    What's a brother for?