Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Billy Graham and Jews, Christianity and Judaism

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    132
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    33

    Billy Graham and Jews, Christianity and Judaism

    https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/bill...apes-1.5844419

    Graham said some scurrilous things about Jews during the Nixon administration. While it was a while ago (almost a half century), I wonder if it represents a strain of Christian thought.

    On the one hand, it is Jews who have an inordinate amount of influence in this country, in Hollywood and the media, and on the other hand we have the nation of Israel fulfilling the prophetic utterances of the Lord in a culmination of history. That was basically the argument put forward by Graham (and others) a half century ago. It seems to be quite common today within Christianity. Has the outlook changed, or is the language more circumspect today?

  2. #2
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    38,441
    Amen (Given)
    3526
    Amen (Received)
    18198
    This was settled many years ago. Why bring it up again now that he is dead?

  3. Amen Bill the Cat, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,642
    Amen (Given)
    1233
    Amen (Received)
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/bill...apes-1.5844419

    Graham said some scurrilous things about Jews during the Nixon administration. While it was a while ago (almost a half century), I wonder if it represents a strain of Christian thought.

    On the one hand, it is Jews who have an inordinate amount of influence in this country, in Hollywood and the media, and on the other hand we have the nation of Israel fulfilling the prophetic utterances of the Lord in a culmination of history. That was basically the argument put forward by Graham (and others) a half century ago. It seems to be quite common today within Christianity. Has the outlook changed, or is the language more circumspect today?
    It it does represent an unfortunate strain of Christian thought in history, but I believe Billy Graham apologized and changed for this long ago.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  6. #4
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    40,222
    Amen (Given)
    8807
    Amen (Received)
    20430
    If you want to discuss Christians and Jews, might I suggest starting a thread on the subject without Billy Graham? He's no longer here to defend himself.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  7. Amen Sparko, Jedidiah, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
  8. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    132
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    If you want to discuss Christians and Jews, might I suggest starting a thread on the subject without Billy Graham? He's no longer here to defend himself.
    I don't see this as some attack on Graham, it was brought into the thread memorializing him. Since it can be argued that Graham is an important historical figure, I think examining his ideas within the broader context of the faith, and the context of Christians' views at that time as well as today.

    I am not really sure it was settled many years ago. While Graham recanted and likely repented, his initial reaction to rumors was to deny the charge (which was out of character for him, he was quite forthright on his views, even the changes in his outlook).

  9. #6
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    38,441
    Amen (Given)
    3526
    Amen (Received)
    18198
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    I don't see this as some attack on Graham, it was brought into the thread memorializing him. Since it can be argued that Graham is an important historical figure, I think examining his ideas within the broader context of the faith, and the context of Christians' views at that time as well as today.

    I am not really sure it was settled many years ago. While Graham recanted and likely repented, his initial reaction to rumors was to deny the charge (which was out of character for him, he was quite forthright on his views, even the changes in his outlook).
    And yet you never brought this up until after he died. Must not have been a big deal then.

  10. #7
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    40,222
    Amen (Given)
    8807
    Amen (Received)
    20430
    It's not about Billy Graham....

    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    I don't see this as some attack on Graham, it was brought into the thread memorializing him. Since it can be argued that Graham is an important historical figure, I think examining his ideas within the broader context of the faith, and the context of Christians' views at that time as well as today.
    It's about Billy Graham...

    I am not really sure it was settled many years ago. While Graham recanted and likely repented, his initial reaction to rumors was to deny the charge (which was out of character for him, he was quite forthright on his views, even the changes in his outlook).
    Let it go.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  11. Amen Jedidiah, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
  12. #8
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Next to you
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,849
    Amen (Given)
    1443
    Amen (Received)
    3825
    I think it would be one thing if Billy Graham repeatedly made those kinds of comments throughout his life. Then it would be worth bringing up, whether or not he recently died. However he said them once decades ago and apologized for them.

    Having said that I'm not a big "be very careful to not speak ill of the dead" type of person when it comes to public figures. None of his family are here to take offense and he was a public figure and representative of Christianity to millions, so his legacy should be fair game.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  13. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    132
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    33
    How common are those ideas today?

    Mel Gibson's infamous tirade basically covered the same ground as Graham's. So it is not a relic of the past, conspiracy theories abound today. And many theories posit a group of Jews as a guiding hand in history.

    I will repeat myself, I think Graham very likely repented of his comments. Not sure if his comments were a mirroring of other's (Nixon's) views, or an idea he held and embraced. But it is possible that he held those views, they were common in America in the mid twentieth century.

    I think it represents a unique form of anti-Semitism, the acceptance of jewish conspiracy theory, along with the support of Israel, which is in effect a mixture of anti- and philo- Semitism. Jewish conspiracy theories are generally condemned as anti-Semitism when expressed outside of a Christian context. But when they are expressed within a context of biblical Christianity which recognizes a role for Israel in eschatology, the conspiracy theory is not seen as anti-Semitic.

    Maybe it comes down to what is the role of the Body of Christ in addressing anti-Semitism. So I can rephrase the OP with the question: Should we send our children to a vacation bible school if our goal is to have them grow up rejecting Jewish conspiracy theories?. We would not send them to a camp run by some supremacist group because of a desire to isolate our children from such ideas. But would allowing children to attend a bible school program at a local church make it more likely or less likely that they would grow up accepting ideas of a worldwide Jewish conspiracy?

  14. #10
    tWebber demi-conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,561
    Amen (Given)
    114
    Amen (Received)
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    But would allowing children to attend a bible school program at a local church make it more likely or less likely that they would grow up accepting ideas
    Only thing that matters is whether ideas are true or not.

    o I can rephrase the OP with the question: Should we send our children to a vacation bible school if our goal is to have them grow up rejecting Jewish conspiracy theories?.
    Demi has related question: Should we send our children to lib college if our goal is to have them grow up rejecting lib dogma?
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •