Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Graham and Jews, Christianity and Judaism

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I generally agree. But Billy Graham doesn't have to be involved, either. There is a conversation that needs to be had with what we as Christians do with passages like Revelation 3:9, which were historically used by Christians in the Middle Ages to justify pogroms against Jewish communities.
    Well ok, I don't see that one as being as relevant as John 8, where Jesus Himself says TO JEWS that any who do not believe Him to be I AM will die in their sins, or Rom. 11, where Paul says they are enemies in regard to the Gospel.

Unpalatable as it may be, Christianity is exclusionary, and even Jews, who are in a sense our kin, are damned if they do not become part of the New Covenant.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Well ok, I don't see that one as being as relevant as John 8, where Jesus Himself says TO JEWS that any who do not believe Him to be I AM will die in their sins, or Rom. 11, where Paul says they are enemies in regard to the Gospel.

Unpalatable as it may be, Christianity is exclusionary, and even Jews, who are in a sense our kin, are damned if they do not become part of the New Covenant.
    ? Recognizing that all non believers are condemned is not antisemitism.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    ? Recognizing that all non believers are condemned is not antisemitism.
    Tell Jews that, as a Christian, you believe they stand condemned unless they convert. You don't think they will regard that as antisemitic?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Tell Jews that, as a Christian, you believe they stand condemned unless they convert. You don't think they will regard that as antisemitic?
    If I apply it to all non Christians, they are simply wrong.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If I apply it to all non Christians, they are simply wrong.
    Fair point.

They would likely be offended at being lumped with all other infidels, but that is not the same as saying there is something *especially* faithless or otherwise wrong about them.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I took a course on the history of the Holocaust in college, from a Jewish professor with family who went through it. We looked at the history of antisemitism and some of the Bible passages which were explicitly used as justification for pogroms. On one of my papers, I noted that this was stupid because Jesus was Jewish. I got an A
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I took a course on the history of the Holocaust in college, from a Jewish professor with family who went through it. We looked at the history of antisemitism and some of the Bible passages which were explicitly used as justification for pogroms. On one of my papers, I noted that this was stupid because Jesus was Jewish. I got an A
    No thinking person can in any way support antisemitism, or the distortion of scripture that may be used in such support.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No thinking person can in any way support antisemitism, or the distortion of scripture that may be used in such support.
    You'd think so, but Martin Luther became almost violently anti-semitic late in life (advocating burning synagogues and destroying their houses), and I'd say he was a thinking person.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Let me amend my comment to say, "No thinking person today can in any way support antisemitism, or the distortion of scripture that may be used in such support." antisemitism was far more common then than now. Today a large number of unthinking folks are moving in the same destructive pattern that we saw in the past.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Many do not.

Demi does not understand why you are hanged up on bible school and anti-semitism, also does not see link.
    You are right, many do not send their children to a liberal college, and often the expressed purpose is to avoid inculcating those values.

If the church which has the vacation bible school is also a place where those ideas exist and go unchallenged, the ideas in effect become part of the backdrop of "acceptable ideas" which one can hold.

I go and keep friends with Mr Rosenthal. . . and people of that sort, you know. And all, I mean not all Jews, but a lot of the Jews are great friends of mine, they swarm around me and are friendly to me because they know I am friendly to Israel. But they don't know how I feel about what they are doing to this country. And I have no power, no way to handle them, but I would stand up if under proper circumstances.