Faith
    Trinitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Thoughts on Living Biblically

How is this new series?

The link can be found here.

----

What did I think of this new series? Letís plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

My wife and I DVRed the new series, Living Biblically, wanting to see what it would be like. We came in skeptical. We were thinking we would see a series making fun of Christians and any mention of religion. So what did we see?

The series involves a man named Chip Curry who suddenly has a best friend die on him and his mother is convinced her son is not in a better place because he stopped going to church. When Chip says he doesnít go, then the mother says that heíll see his friend again. This sends Chip into a depression. He goes to a workplace where heís just your average guy and one of his other friends, who is married, likes to talk about his extra-marital exploits. To top it all off, Chipís wife announces sheís pregnant, so how is Chip going to be ready to be a good father?

At the bookstore looking for a book to turn his life around, he comes across the Bible, but when about to put it up, a light just shines on him. It is one of the lights in the store, but he takes it as a sign. He tells a priest in a confessional then that he plans to live his life strictly according to the Bible.

This is one low point where the priest laughs and says that that canít be done. Of course, there is no mention of hermeneutics or the relationship of the law and the Gospel together and how they work out. The next thing said is that Chip is wearing mixed fabrics, which is a violation of Leviticus.

Chipís wife is concerned about this major change. She says sheís not particularly religious and asks if they will have any fun anymore. Sadly, her concern is understandable. A lot of times people who present themselves as very Christian or religious happen to be some of the most boring people you will ever meet. Lee Strobel in his book The Case for Christ wrote about how when his wife converted, he was worried sheíd spend all her time in Bible studies and become a sexual prude.

Chipís first crisis in his new life concerns his cheating co-worker. The priest tells him an adulterer should be stoned. That wonít happen because itís 2018. Later, Chip is with his wife at a restaurant where he meets the priest and a rabbi. Chipís friend comes in with another woman. Chip goes over to confront him and ends up throwing a rock in the guyís face and runs out with his wife saying they will indeed still have fun.

The next day at work Chipís co-worker confronts him and in a refreshing scene actually thanks him. He says that he and his wife are going to go to get counseling. He told her everything and theyíre going to work on their relationship. Allie and I found this pleasantly surprising. You donít often find on a TV show that one shouldnít cheat on their spouse and that a marriage is worth working on.

There was some humor. Itís not the funniest show, but it wasnít the worst thing that I had seen and I was pleasantly surprised. I told Allie I could see myself using this in a Sunday School class some to explain how hermeneutics really works. We should all strive to live Biblically after all, but what does that mean? Why do Americans particularly have a big hang-up over literalism?

We plan to keep watching just to see how it is. Itís important after all to keep up with the culture and see whatís going on. Hopefully weíll keep being surprised.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I saw the previews and thought like you did that it was just another show to make fun of the bible. I haven't seen the show yet.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Keep us updated - so far, I have no desire to watch it, because it does seem, from the teasers, to be set up to make Christianity a joke. But I'll keep an eye on your reporting!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is this kind of like that book by Rachel Held Evans?
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    anyone watch "Kevin probably saves the world?"

It is definitely NOT biblical or Christian - it is a comedy about an angel-like woman and a screwup guy that is one of the "last righteous souls" who has to find other ones and in the meantime he goes around helping others.

Like I said, it is not Christian, but it is a pretty good show about helping others with a bunch of goofiness tossed in.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I wasn't home to see it. Here is a positive review from a guy at Daily Wire.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think the danger (or downside) to these kinds of shows is that they present a form of godliness, but never address the real Truth - that Jesus died for sinners, and there's "a payday some day". Kind of "you don't have to be saved to be nice*".

*yes, I think you can be nice without being saved, but that's not the point

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

8. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think the danger (or downside) to these kinds of shows is that they present a form of godliness, but never address the real Truth - that Jesus died for sinners, and there's "a payday some day". Kind of "you don't have to be saved to be nice*".

*yes, I think you can be nice without being saved, but that's not the point
    they all boil down to "works" - whether you are doing good deeds to find the other "righteous" or following the bible to "live biblically"

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I wasn't home to see it. Here is a positive review from a guy at Daily Wire.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Is this kind of like that book by Rachel Held Evans?
    It's based on the book by A. J. Jacobs.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist