Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Thoughts on Living Biblically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Living Biblically

How is this new series?

The link can be found here.

----

What did I think of this new series? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

My wife and I DVRed the new series, Living Biblically, wanting to see what it would be like. We came in skeptical. We were thinking we would see a series making fun of Christians and any mention of religion. So what did we see?

The series involves a man named Chip Curry who suddenly has a best friend die on him and his mother is convinced her son is not in a better place because he stopped going to church. When Chip says he doesn’t go, then the mother says that he’ll see his friend again. This sends Chip into a depression. He goes to a workplace where he’s just your average guy and one of his other friends, who is married, likes to talk about his extra-marital exploits. To top it all off, Chip’s wife announces she’s pregnant, so how is Chip going to be ready to be a good father?

At the bookstore looking for a book to turn his life around, he comes across the Bible, but when about to put it up, a light just shines on him. It is one of the lights in the store, but he takes it as a sign. He tells a priest in a confessional then that he plans to live his life strictly according to the Bible.

This is one low point where the priest laughs and says that that can’t be done. Of course, there is no mention of hermeneutics or the relationship of the law and the Gospel together and how they work out. The next thing said is that Chip is wearing mixed fabrics, which is a violation of Leviticus.

Chip’s wife is concerned about this major change. She says she’s not particularly religious and asks if they will have any fun anymore. Sadly, her concern is understandable. A lot of times people who present themselves as very Christian or religious happen to be some of the most boring people you will ever meet. Lee Strobel in his book The Case for Christ wrote about how when his wife converted, he was worried she’d spend all her time in Bible studies and become a sexual prude.

Chip’s first crisis in his new life concerns his cheating co-worker. The priest tells him an adulterer should be stoned. That won’t happen because it’s 2018. Later, Chip is with his wife at a restaurant where he meets the priest and a rabbi. Chip’s friend comes in with another woman. Chip goes over to confront him and ends up throwing a rock in the guy’s face and runs out with his wife saying they will indeed still have fun.

The next day at work Chip’s co-worker confronts him and in a refreshing scene actually thanks him. He says that he and his wife are going to go to get counseling. He told her everything and they’re going to work on their relationship. Allie and I found this pleasantly surprising. You don’t often find on a TV show that one shouldn’t cheat on their spouse and that a marriage is worth working on.

There was some humor. It’s not the funniest show, but it wasn’t the worst thing that I had seen and I was pleasantly surprised. I told Allie I could see myself using this in a Sunday School class some to explain how hermeneutics really works. We should all strive to live Biblically after all, but what does that mean? Why do Americans particularly have a big hang-up over literalism?

We plan to keep watching just to see how it is. It’s important after all to keep up with the culture and see what’s going on. Hopefully we’ll keep being surprised.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

I saw the previews and thought like you did that it was just another show to make fun of the bible. I haven't seen the show yet.

Comment

Keep us updated - so far, I have no desire to watch it, because it does seem, from the teasers, to be set up to make Christianity a joke. But I'll keep an eye on your reporting!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is this kind of like that book by Rachel Held Evans?
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

anyone watch "Kevin probably saves the world?"

It is definitely NOT biblical or Christian - it is a comedy about an angel-like woman and a screwup guy that is one of the "last righteous souls" who has to find other ones and in the meantime he goes around helping others.

Like I said, it is not Christian, but it is a pretty good show about helping others with a bunch of goofiness tossed in.

Comment

I wasn't home to see it. Here is a positive review from a guy at Daily Wire.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I think the danger (or downside) to these kinds of shows is that they present a form of godliness, but never address the real Truth - that Jesus died for sinners, and there's "a payday some day". Kind of "you don't have to be saved to be nice*".

*yes, I think you can be nice without being saved, but that's not the point
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I think the danger (or downside) to these kinds of shows is that they present a form of godliness, but never address the real Truth - that Jesus died for sinners, and there's "a payday some day". Kind of "you don't have to be saved to be nice*".

*yes, I think you can be nice without being saved, but that's not the point
                they all boil down to "works" - whether you are doing good deeds to find the other "righteous" or following the bible to "live biblically"

Comment

I wasn't home to see it. Here is a positive review from a guy at Daily Wire.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    Is this kind of like that book by Rachel Held Evans?
                    It's based on the book by A. J. Jacobs.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Sounds like a parody of living Biblically. That is the sort of stuff we hear from TWeb atheists. Mixed fabrics indeed.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Sounds like a parody of living Biblically. That is the sort of stuff we hear from TWeb atheists. Mixed fabrics indeed.
                        It is in the Bible so bringing it up shouldn't be automatically off limits.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          It is in the Bible so bringing it up shouldn't be automatically off limits.
                          Many of the laws mentioned in the Old Testament weren't intended for just any ol person who happened to be living in Israel, or for one individual to take upon himself. Tons of those laws were intended to be accomplished by Priests that the common Israelite would have had little part in. I had never heard of this Jacobs character before this thread, but apparently in his attempt to "live Biblically" he did things like stone adulterers, blew the shofar and refrained from trimming the corners of his facial hair. Generally speaking, the priests were the ones who blew the shofar, not lay Israelites. You didn't typically just stone people you thought were committing adultery...even adulterers received a trial, and the penalty ranged from divorce to stoning. Growing the corners of his facial hair is probably fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Many of the laws mentioned in the Old Testament weren't intended for just any ol person who happened to be living in Israel, or for one individual to take upon himself. Tons of those laws were intended to be accomplished by Priests that the common Israelite would have had little part in. I had never heard of this Jacobs character before this thread, but apparently in his attempt to "live Biblically" he did things like stone adulterers, blew the shofar and refrained from trimming the corners of his facial hair. Generally speaking, the priests were the ones who blew the shofar, not lay Israelites. You didn't typically just stone people you thought were committing adultery...even adulterers received a trial, and the penalty ranged from divorce to stoning. Growing the corners of his facial hair is probably fine.
                            While this is true, I'm more expressing concern that modern Christians dismiss references to such things as shellfish, mixed fabrics, or even stoning adulterers/homosexuals as "just the Old Testament" with seeming little concern for the context or why any of this was there.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              While this is true, I'm more expressing concern that modern Christians dismiss references to such things as shellfish, mixed fabrics, or even stoning adulterers/homosexuals as "just the Old Testament" with seeming little concern for the context or why any of this was there.
                              Isn't the Christian dismissal of Old Testament laws typically based on their acknowledgement that Christ fulfilled the law in our stead?

Comment