Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Living Biblically

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sounds like a parody of living Biblically. That is the sort of stuff we hear from TWeb atheists. Mixed fabrics indeed.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Sounds like a parody of living Biblically. That is the sort of stuff we hear from TWeb atheists. Mixed fabrics indeed.
    It is in the Bible so bringing it up shouldn't be automatically off limits.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Many of the laws mentioned in the Old Testament weren't intended for just any ol person who happened to be living in Israel, or for one individual to take upon himself. Tons of those laws were intended to be accomplished by Priests that the common Israelite would have had little part in. I had never heard of this Jacobs character before this thread, but apparently in his attempt to "live Biblically" he did things like stone adulterers, blew the shofar and refrained from trimming the corners of his facial hair. Generally speaking, the priests were the ones who blew the shofar, not lay Israelites. You didn't typically just stone people you thought were committing adultery...even adulterers received a trial, and the penalty ranged from divorce to stoning. Growing the corners of his facial hair is probably fine.

4. Amen Cow Poke, Jedidiah, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Many of the laws mentioned in the Old Testament weren't intended for just any ol person who happened to be living in Israel, or for one individual to take upon himself. Tons of those laws were intended to be accomplished by Priests that the common Israelite would have had little part in. I had never heard of this Jacobs character before this thread, but apparently in his attempt to "live Biblically" he did things like stone adulterers, blew the shofar and refrained from trimming the corners of his facial hair. Generally speaking, the priests were the ones who blew the shofar, not lay Israelites. You didn't typically just stone people you thought were committing adultery...even adulterers received a trial, and the penalty ranged from divorce to stoning. Growing the corners of his facial hair is probably fine.
    While this is true, I'm more expressing concern that modern Christians dismiss references to such things as shellfish, mixed fabrics, or even stoning adulterers/homosexuals as "just the Old Testament" with seeming little concern for the context or why any of this was there.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    While this is true, I'm more expressing concern that modern Christians dismiss references to such things as shellfish, mixed fabrics, or even stoning adulterers/homosexuals as "just the Old Testament" with seeming little concern for the context or why any of this was there.
    Isn't the Christian dismissal of Old Testament laws typically based on their acknowledgement that Christ fulfilled the law in our stead?

7. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Isn't the Christian dismissal of Old Testament laws typically based on their acknowledgement that Christ fulfilled the law in our stead?
    I daresay your average Christian would be unable to articulate that.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is a distortion that has been addressed many times. Adrift handles it right in this thread.

ETA:
    I daresay your average Christian would be unable to articulate that.
    Whether "your average Christian would be unable to articulate that" or not does not change the facts of the matter. It remains a distortion of scripture.
    Last edited by Jedidiah; 02-28-2018 at 10:15 PM.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you read the review at Daily Wire, you'll see one of the brains behind the series is Johnny Galecki (Leonard Hofstadter). He assures one and all that they hope to be "respectful." At the risk of sounding like a set-up to a bad joke, they have as advisors a priest and a rabbi.

I have completely negative expectations.

I do not at all mind a rude, profane series ("Archer," for instance) that makes no pretense of being "respectful" toward Christianity or the Bible. I laugh at it for what it is. But something like this just can't work, at least in any way Christians can accept.

At some point, they'll have to address "hot button" topics like abortion and homosexuality. They won't be able to do that in a way that "respects" conservative Christianity and Judaism.

At some point, they won't be able to just flick aside the "mixed fabrics" stuff. They'll have to deal with the problem of "living Biblically" according to the Obsolete Covenant or the New Covenant. They'll have to deal with the exclusive and exclusionary facets of Christianity -- or else just keep it light and too boring to watch.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's an interesting book. Though he's Jewish, most of his family is agnostic and so is (was?) he. He paid at least lip service to following the intent rather than the strict letter of the law, but struggled with consistency in that regard. He was pretty forthright about his struggles with lying and prayer.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

12. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    It remains a distortion of scripture.
    I think you're missing my point. My concern is that many Christians write off the Old Testament altogether. It's no wonder that modern atheists are very good at using it to catch Christians flat footed.