Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The “Sermons” of Jordan Peterson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The “Sermons” of Jordan Peterson

If I was a Christian, I’d subsist on the taped lectures of psychologist Jordan Peterson for my sermons. Church is boring because the teaching portion is mostly intellectually unsatisfying. Most pastors can’t teach because they’re not original thinkers, and it’s easy to put together a sermon that cribs from your own past material (which often cribs from other published sermons and support material). Peterson isn’t afraid to acknowledge evolution and all its ugliness and extract interesting insights from it. That’s brave and it takes brains.

There are no well-known intellectuals in Christianity today. The purported ones like Plantinga, Craig, Zacharias, and Moreland all have some kind of weird controversy in their pasts in which they stumbled on this issue. Heck, you even have R.C. Sproul who has affirmed his belief in young earth.

2 Timothy 4

1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of His appearing and His kingdom:

2. Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and encourage with every form of patient instruction.

3 For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires.

4 So they will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      2 Timothy 4

1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of His appearing and His kingdom:

2. Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and encourage with every form of patient instruction.

3 For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires.

4 So they will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
      Re: verse 2, you’re woefully unprepared in and out of season to defend the Bible in relation to reality, like Peterson has done.

Re: verse 3, theists have always argued about what is sound doctrine and killed each other over it. Paul’s wrong to imply that’s a new or coming phenomenon.

Re: verse 4, the truth about evolution is ugly and not attractive in the soul-stirring sense, and it’s brave to face it head on. It’s childish to ignore it just because it scares you.

Implying that rogue06 and others who accept it have itching ears for a myth is downright unsavory, but that’s what happens when you convert the Bible to a children’s pop-up book. Grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        Blah, blah, blah.

Implying that rogue06 and others who accept it have itching ears for a myth is downright unsavory, but that’s what happens when you convert the Bible to a children’s pop-up book. Grow up.
        I wasn't pointing to rogue or anybody else who believes in evolution at all. I was referring to you, who will listen to somebody who preaches what YOU want to hear. You like a certain person because they tell you what you want, not the truth of the gospel. Evolution is a very minor point compared to the whole thrust of the gospel, which is salvation through Jesus Christ and no other.

Nice try for a dodge, though.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I don't understand the point given that Peterson is not a Christian. I believe he claims to be a cultural Christian but he does not acknowledge that Jesus raised from the dead, claiming agnosticism on the issue.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Does he even claim to be a cultural Christian? I thought he just saw Christianity as a net good with all around good values but he himself is an agnostic, maybe a deist.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

As scripture says, they will seek words that suit what they want to hear.

Comment

I wasn't pointing to rogue or anybody else who believes in evolution at all. I was referring to you, who will listen to somebody who preaches what YOU want to hear. You like a certain person because they tell you what you want, not the truth of the gospel. Evolution is a very minor point compared to the whole thrust of the gospel, which is salvation through Jesus Christ and no other.

Nice try for a dodge, though.
                You haven’t listened to any of his lectures, so you don’t even know what he says. None of what he says is easy to listen to but frightening and hard to apply.

Conversely, most sermons are about 30 minutes and tailored for easy digestion. If you can recommend a sermon that you like, I can examine it and compare to any of Peterson’s lectures on the Bible. Let’s start there.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                  Does he even claim to be a cultural Christian? I thought he just saw Christianity as a net good with all around good values but he himself is an agnostic, maybe a deist.
                  I think he said he lives as if the Bible is true or something to that effect.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

As scripture says, they will seek words that suit what they want to hear.
                    What in particular did you find difficult to hear?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I don't understand the point given that Peterson is not a Christian. I believe he claims to be a cultural Christian but he does not acknowledge that Jesus raised from the dead, claiming agnosticism on the issue.
                      I think you should be more mystified why a person such as that would exist in the first place, psychologically speaking.

Comment

You haven’t listened to any of his lectures, so you don’t even know what he says. None of what he says is easy to listen to but frightening and hard to apply.

Conversely, most sermons are about 30 minutes and tailored for easy digestion. If you can recommend a sermon that you like, I can examine it and compare to any of Peterson’s lectures on the Bible. Let’s start there.
                        On what topic. I have many sermons that are good, imo, but I don't know which one you could compare with Peterson, especially if he isn't a believer in the first place.

Comment

Peterson isn't a Christian, but he's a pretty good speaker and he has a lot of good advice for young men. As mentioned before, even though he's agnostic himself, he believes that the morality advocated in the Bible is ideal, so he has a lot of advice that steers young men onto that sort of value track.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                          "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                          Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

On what topic. I have many sermons that are good, imo, but I don't know which one you could compare with Peterson, especially if he isn't a believer in the first place.
                            Start with The Flood.

It doesn’t matter whether he’s not a “believer in the first place,” since you’d disbelieve many who’d claim to be so. Pat Robertson and Benny Hinn being two obvious examples.

Comment

I think you should be more mystified why a person such as that would exist in the first place, psychologically speaking.
                              That's a separate issue altogether though I agree it makes little sense.

Comment