Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The “Sermons” of Jordan Peterson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's audio here and a transcript. I'm sure it's longer than 30 minutes, though.

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-...e-global-flood

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      There's audio here and a transcript. I'm sure it's longer than 30 minutes, though.

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-...e-global-flood
      Thanks. Here’s Peterson’s lecture on The Flood, which is 2 hours 30 minutes. Let’s come back and discuss which is more illuminating and applicable.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        Thanks. Here’s Peterson’s lecture on The Flood, which is 2 hours 30 minutes. Let’s come back and discuss which is more illuminating and applicable.
        I have to be upfront with you, whag. I'm frankly not interested in hearing what an unbeliever has to say about scriptural things. So I don't think I'll be listening to Peterson.

It won't bother me if you decide not to hear MacArthur for similar reasons.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I have to be upfront with you, whag. I'm frankly not interested in hearing what an unbeliever has to say about scriptural things. So I don't think I'll be listening to Peterson.

It won't bother me if you decide not to hear MacArthur for similar reasons.
          That’s really weird. I’m not bothered by it, though.

No, since you decided to discuss a sermon by a man who believes all evolutionists are lost, I’m more than glad to dive in. I’ll report back.

Comment

Start with The Flood.

It doesn’t matter whether he’s not a “believer in the first place,” since you’d disbelieve many who’d claim to be so. Pat Robertson and Benny Hinn being two obvious examples.
            Not all Bible believing Christians interpret the Bible to be young earth, so this is a pointless exercise.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Not all Bible believing Christians interpret the Bible to be young earth, so this is a pointless exercise.
              Then I guess I’m only targeting those who doubt the salvation of evolutionists, or those who write boring fault-filled sermons, like MacArthur who Mossy linked to.

Comment

Then I guess I’m only targeting those who doubt the salvation of evolutionists, or those who write boring fault-filled sermons, like MacArthur who Mossy linked to.
                Just as I thought you would say. You aren't interested in what scripture says or means. You only want to hear those who tell you what you want to hear.

So, carry on in this thread. I've had my say.

Comment

Most of MacArthur's sermons are not on the subject of old vs young earth. Most are perfectly good Bible based study.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Most of MacArthur's sermons are not on the subject of old vs young earth. Most are perfectly good Bible based study.
                    But that's what whag asked for, so that's what I gave him.

I'm sure there are lots of online sermons that whag can find that fit into his ideal "preacher" messages that soothe his ears and don't bother with proclaiming Jesus Christ.

Comment

I like Tim Keller myself.

Comment

There are no well-known intellectuals in Christianity today.
                        John Stackhouse needs to be much more widely known. Tim Keller comes to mind too.

You do know Sproul is dead, right?
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The Flood myth is pretty foundational as a story, but MacArthur gets it wrong almost immediately. He says that anyone who calls it local essentially calls God a liar:

Lemme tell you something. If that was a local flood, then God didn't tell him the truth...Has there ever been another local flood? Of course, there are plenty of local floods. It was a lie if the flood was local. There have been tens of thousands of local floods. We read about 'em all the time. We're gonna read about some this spring, in which people will die...When God said, "I'm making a promise never, ever to destroy people again in a flood like this," He couldn't have been referring to a local flood. That happens all the time...
                          Jordan Peterson does a much better job grasping the anthropological, psychological, and social import of the Noah story without getting hung up on jabbing anyone in his audience who doesn’t accept a global flood.

Whose presentation has more depth?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            John Stackhouse needs to be much more widely known. Tim Keller comes to mind too.

You do know Sproul is dead, right?
                            I was not informed of his death, no. I’ll check out those other guys.

Comment

But that's what whag asked for, so that's what I gave him.

I'm sure there are lots of online sermons that whag can find that fit into his ideal "preacher" messages that soothe his ears and don't bother with proclaiming Jesus Christ.
                              It soothed your ears to hear you’re not a primate. MacArthur practically massages your earlobes with exotic essential oils.

I’ll ask you again: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post523198

Comment

If I was a Christian, I’d subsist on the taped lectures of psychologist Jordan Peterson for my sermons. Church is boring because the teaching portion is mostly intellectually unsatisfying. Most pastors can’t teach because they’re not original thinkers, and it’s easy to put together a sermon that cribs from your own past material (which often cribs from other published sermons and support material). Peterson isn’t afraid to acknowledge evolution and all its ugliness and extract interesting insights from it. That’s brave and it takes brains.

There are no well-known intellectuals in Christianity today. The purported ones like Plantinga, Craig, Zacharias, and Moreland all have some kind of weird controversy in their pasts in which they stumbled on this issue. Heck, you even have R.C. Sproul who has affirmed his belief in young earth.

I agree with you that Dr Peterson has given some fascinating lectures, they're well worth a listen. He is a deep and complex thinker. I don't think that a direct comparison with church sermons is particularly valid or helpful however, as the purpose and the target audience are different. And there are few people indeed who can speak on Dr Peterson's level.
                                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment