Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump is coming for your guns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm color blind, so...
    Cut the gray wire. No! The other gray wire!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Where is all the uproar from the 2nd amendment nuts. At the White House meeting on guns yesterday Trump advocated for all kinds of new regulations. If what Trump said at that meeting regarding new laws regulating arms came out of Obama's mouth you'd all be going insane with outrage. So, what's up 2nd amendment crazies, where is all the uproar?
      Jimmy, I just got a private text from Trump, cause I'm one if his staunchest supporters, ya know, and he said he only did that to make really dumb extremist lefties post stupid stuff on discussion boards.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Cut the gray wire. No! The other gray wire!
        Especially in YELLOW LIGHT!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Especially in YELLOW LIGHT!
          How can you be sure the light is yellow?

Ahhhh, because it makes you sad.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm color blind, so...
            That's why in real-life, the wire colors are usually contrasting (such as black and white), or they have a pattern like stripes, or physical ridges so you distinguish the wires by touch.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              That's why in real-life, the wire colors are usually contrasting (such as black and white), or they have a pattern like stripes, or physical ridges so you distinguish the wires by touch.
              Bomb makers are well know for following such protocols

Comment

And, on TV, the police (or whoever) can always know the bomb maker because of his "signature".

(and they always manage to find a tiny piece of detonator, or a blood sample, or a fingerprint.....)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Yes, bomb experts in movies know everything there is to know about disarming a bomb except which of the last two wires to cut.

James Cameron had a novel play on tha trope in the movie The Abyss: they knew which color of wire to cut, but because of the strong yellow light source illuminating the work area, they couldn't distinguish one color from the other.
                  You don't need to know what color to use, and a smart bomber would mix up the colors or use all of the same color. You just need to know which one will send juice to the blasting cap or whatever will spark the bomb and cut it.

Comment

And, on TV, the police (or whoever) can always know the bomb maker because of his "signature".
                    or hackers.

Comment

Trump is NOT coming for your hackers!

Comment

Well, yeah, I was talking about a movie like The Abyss where the protagonist is disarming a nuclear warhead.

But you're right, most amateur bomb-makers likely use whatever wire they happen to have on hand.

Speaking of movies, The Hurt Locker has probably one of the most realistic depictions of a bomb disposal expert. It has none of the usual Hollywood tropes.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post

Go for it, libs!!!
                          How was it??
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

(and they always manage to find a tiny piece of detonator, or a blood sample, or a fingerprint.....)
                            Not just TV. A bomb exploding doesn't cause the components to disintegrate. They always find fragments.

Comment

Not just TV. A bomb exploding doesn't cause the components to disintegrate. They always find fragments.
                              Yeah, just not as "quick and clean" as on TV. Kinda like MaGee on NCIS just "calling up traffic cams" and spotting the getaway vehicle, and identifying he's "at a Truck stop on I95 right now". WAIT, he just ran his credit card... Ah, he just made a cell phone call, and the tower is one block east of ....

Comment

Yeah, just not as "quick and clean" as on TV. Kinda like MaGee on NCIS just "calling up traffic cams" and spotting the getaway vehicle, and identifying he's "at a Truck stop on I95 right now". WAIT, he just ran his credit card... Ah, he just made a cell phone call, and the tower is one block east of ....
                                Well heck they only have a hour to solve the crime! Unless it is a two-parter.
                                Every show has to have a tech genius that miraculously finds all the pieces of the puzzle and moves the show along. Before computers, they had to rely on Huggy Bears and other CI's to keep them moving in the right direction. In sci-fi movies it is usually some professor that just knows everything automagically.

Comment