Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump is coming for your guns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    How are you any different? You say that killers will get the same death count even without guns. But then when Trump dares mention the confiscation of the more dangerous guns, you cry that you’ll be defenseless. Which is it? If criminals will kill without guns, what’s stopping you from killing without guns?

If it’s a matter of ease and death count—since it’s harder to kill 20 people with one car/knife/bomb than it is with one gun—then now you see the point of the outcry.
    Because blowing up my house or running people down would be counterproductive to the goal of defense and knives expose the user to the possibility of counter attack, having it taken, and the one with size, skill, and strength has the advantage. Guns are more precise and make things more equal because they can be wielded by a someone with a terminal illness and elimate size or strength considerations. They are also more useful for defense than bombs or running someone down. Criminals are likely to be younger males in decent health that don’t care about laws. They are more likely to have the size and strength advantage over their victims and since laws are things they don’t care about, they stand a better chance of having a gun vs those of us that care about laws. The goal of the mass killer is to up the body count so the imprecise nature of bombs or running people down in vehicles isn’t a hinderence to the mass killer.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I don't plan to kill anyone with or without guns whag, but I would rather defend myself with a gun than a knife. I think taking guns away from criminals is a good thing, but taking them away from law abiding citizens who don't use them to murder people is a bad thing.

Sorry, you said it is harder to kill 20 people with a bomb than a gun?

OK I can't take you seriously any longer.
      You know what I meant. Bombs take more preparation than loading guns. They’re complicated and you can blow yourself up.

Comment

You know what I meant. Bombs take more preparation than loading guns. They’re complicated and you can blow yourself up.
        Bombs aren't that complicated. You could probably make a decent pipe-bomb using materials you have on hand in your house. And accidentally blow yourself up? Sure, but you could also accidentally shoot yourself with a gun.

You also mentioned cars. Do you think someone might accidentally run themselves over?

Let's see what other excuses you have for making a silly statement.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Because I know that he is actually an unprincipled idiot. He did the same thing when he had the DACA meeting at the White House then changed his tune the next day after his puppeteers got hold of his strings once again.
          It may be that he is realizing that the majority of the people are rising up against, and becoming more powerful than, the gun lobby, even in his own party, and demand something be done, which would be a good thing. But I wouldn't give the credit to him, I'd give it to the people, particularly the kids who are speaking out and threatening the jobs of republican reps. including the President.
          I like how you spin the fact that his theater works on you every single time as Trump being an unprincipled idiot. There's def a dunce here, but it's not Trump.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Bombs aren't that complicated. You could probably make a decent pipe-bomb using materials you have on hand in your house. And accidentally blow yourself up? Sure, but you could also accidentally shoot yourself with a gun.
            Building and detonating a pipe bomb at a precise moment is more complicated than you say. And, yes, the gun might accidentally fire but that’s different than a bomb prematurely going off.

You also mentioned cars. Do you think someone might accidentally run themselves over?

Let's see what other excuses you have for making a silly statement.
            The car example is silly. It’s impossible to ban knives and cars because of our reliance on them. We can’t live without knives and vehicles, but we can live without the kinds of guns that Trump has considered banning.

Comment

Building and detonating a pipe bomb at a precise moment is more complicated than you say. And, yes, the gun might accidentally fire but that’s different than a bomb prematurely going off.
              All the more reason to keep guns legal instead of forcing the mentally ill to produce back alley armaments. Keep school shootings safe, legal and rare.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Building and detonating a pipe bomb at a precise moment is more complicated than you say.
                It's really not.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  All the more reason to keep guns legal instead of forcing the mentally ill to produce back alley armaments. Keep school shootings safe, legal and rare.
                  Guns are legal, so no issue.

Comment

It's really not.
                    It really is. You’re not thinking, per usual.

Comment

It really is. You’re not thinking, per usual.
                      It’s so difficult that a bunch of inner city gang members, that haven’t graduated high school, seem to be able to build and use them.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        It’s so difficult that a bunch of inner city gang members, that haven’t graduated high school, seem to be able to build and use them.
                        Liberals can only make their arguments work if they pretend that guns are the best, if not only means of committing mass murder.

Comment

Liberals can only make their arguments work if they pretend that guns are the best, if not only means of committing mass murder.
                          Which is weird, considering how a bomb was used in 1995 to kill 168 and injure over 680 and it did that in the blink of an eye with a bomb. The worse US mass shooters can barely get a third of that body count.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Literally, Yahoo's "top-of-the-fold" headline right now:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26696[/ATTACH]

There you go.
                            NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch, AKA Cruella De Vil.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Where is all the uproar from the 2nd amendment nuts. At the White House meeting on guns yesterday Trump advocated for all kinds of new regulations. If what Trump said at that meeting regarding new laws regulating arms came out of Obama's mouth you'd all be going insane with outrage. So, what's up 2nd amendment crazies, where is all the uproar?
                              There needs to be a discussion - you're unhappy because Trump is trying to make that happen?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                Why aren't you singing his praises because of this?
                                Unpossible!
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment