Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump is coming for your guns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There was a "reality" show recently, I forget the name, which put a bunch of "fugitive" contestants in competition with active and retired law enforcement to see how hard it would really be to go on the run. It wasn't NCIS level, but it was still impressive how easily they were able to track people down. Of course there were rules, such as they had to stay within a certain geographic region (so no running from California to Maine), and naturally the contestants couldn't do anything illegal to stay under the radar, so the odds were in favor of the cops. One pair did manage to make it to their exit point to win the $100,000 prize, although the show implied that the police were literally just minutes behind them.

I did wonder how much of the show was genuine and how much of it was propaganda to make it seem like the police were all-knowing in order to discourage people from trying to run.
    Yeah I remember that. "Hunted" -- I think a lot of it was staged. Not sure if the contestants were in on it. but heck, they had camera crews following them around. Kinda hard to be inconspicuous with cameras following you around and what is to stop the camera crews from reporting their location?

Also there was one scene where they were remotely connected to a camera at a filling station and they did the zoom-in-to-read-the-tags thing. I work cases with filling stations and supermarkets all the time. I can tell you of not one that has cameras that are connected to the internet that police can get on, and none that are high resolution, and none that even do full motion video. Every single one I have worked with has crappy low resolution cameras that record fuzzy video at about 3 frames per second and records only to a local specialized security DVR. That was definitely fake. (you can see the type of video they have by watching crime of the week scenes on shows like LivePD.)

If I were on the show I would ditch all electronics, ditch the camera crew and just hide out in a hotel somewhere until I won.
    Last edited by Sparko; 03-20-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Yeah I remember that. "Hunted" -- I think a lot of it was staged. Not sure if the contestants were in on it. but heck, they had camera crews following them around. Kinda hard to be inconspicuous with cameras following you around and what is to stop the camera crews from reporting their location?

Also there was one scene where they were remotely connected to a camera at a filling station and they did the zoom-in-to-read-the-tags thing. I work cases with filling stations and supermarkets all the time. I can tell you of not one that has cameras that are connected to the internet that police can get on, and none that are high resolution, and none that even do full motion video. Every single one I have worked with has crappy low resolution cameras that record fuzzy video at about 3 frames per second and records only to a local specialized security DVR. That was definitely fake.

If I were on the show I would ditch all electronics, ditch the camera crew and just hide out in a hotel somewhere until I won.
      Yes there was something about the show that didn't seem entirely authentic.

On a related note, back in my former life as a news videographer, the local police brought a VHS security tape to the station for us to make a copy of to put on the air. Unfortunately, our VHS machine malfunctioned, damaging the tape and causing a line of static to appear across the frame... and right across the suspect's face. To make matters worse, it was the original tape. The police hadn't made a back-up before bringing it to us, so we effectively destroyed a key piece of evidence that could have helped identify the culprit.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Yes there was something about the show that didn't seem entirely authentic.

On a related note, back in my former life as a news videographer, the local police brought a VHS security tape to the station for us to make a copy of to put on the air. Unfortunately, our VHS machine malfunctioned, damaging the tape and causing a line of static to appear across the frame... and right across the suspect's face. To make matters worse, it was the original tape. The police hadn't made a back-up before bringing it to us, so we effectively destroyed a key piece of evidence that could have helped identify the culprit.
        I read somewhere that they "simulated" what the police could do. Like since they couldn't get actual warrants for information the producers would provide the information that they could have gotten with a warrant after the appropriate delay. Or since they couldn't actually get access to ATM cameras, they simulated it. I think they "simulated" some things way too much, like the filling station camera which was just not realistic. The show definitely wasn't fair. They had way too many rules for the contestants to follow to give the hunters advantages. Like they had to move 5 miles every 48 hours, could not go to the same place twice, had to use the ATM with the supplied card at least twice even if they didn't need the money.

here I found it:
        https://www.realityblurred.com/reali...se-car-rental/
        https://www.realityblurred.com/reali...nd-the-scenes/

Comment

I read somewhere that they "simulated" what the police could do. Like since they couldn't get actual warrants for information the producers would provide the information that they could have gotten with a warrant after the appropriate delay. Or since they couldn't actually get access to ATM cameras, they simulated it. I think they "simulated" some things way too much, like the filling station camera which was just not realistic. The show definitely wasn't fair. They had way too many rules for the contestants to follow to give the hunters advantages. Like they had to move 5 miles every 48 hours, could not go to the same place twice, had to use the ATM with the supplied card at least twice even if they didn't need the money.

here I found it:
          https://www.realityblurred.com/reali...se-car-rental/
          https://www.realityblurred.com/reali...nd-the-scenes/
          It's kinda like the controversy around "storage wars" - that some of the lockers were "salted" with valuable pieces to make the show more interesting.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It's kinda like the controversy around "storage wars" - that some of the lockers were "salted" with valuable pieces to make the show more interesting.
            There was another show (Take the money and run)like that where they gave contestants a briefcase with $100K in it and they had to run with the money and keep away from people hunting them, they only had something like 1 hour to hide it and the hunters had a GPS and could track their path and where they stopped, but not what they did while stopped. I remember thinking if I were playing it I would just drive down the highway and toss the briefcase into the woods along the side of the road and never slow down, then pull over somewhere to pretend I was hiding it to keep them busy. Then go back later and win. There is no way the hunters could know that you did it or where you tossed it. But nobody ever did that.

Comment

There was another show (Take the money and run)like that where they gave contestants a briefcase with $100K in it and they had to run with the money and keep away from people hunting them, they only had something like 1 hour to hide it and the hunters had a GPS and could track their path and where they stopped, but not what they did while stopped. I remember thinking if I were playing it I would just drive down the highway and toss the briefcase into the woods along the side of the road and never slow down, then pull over somewhere to pretend I was hiding it to keep them busy. Then go back later and win. There is no way the hunters could know that you did it or where you tossed it. But nobody ever did that.
              MaGee would have tasked a satellite to come over you and watch every step, and take a super-resolution picture of the briefcase going out the window.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Probably because the rules specifically forbade it.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment