Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Bizarre and Entertaining titles of things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre and Entertaining titles of things

I'm going to post some of my favorite song titles (because I'm listening to music and so have this on my mind). Share your favorite titles of stuff; preferably, the weirder the better.

Finnish death metal band Demilich released one album in 1993, called Nespithe. The song titles are among my favorite song titles ever; see for yourself:

1 "When the Sun Drank the Weight of Water"
    2 "The Sixteenth Six-Tooth Son of Fourteen Four-Regional Dimensions (Still Unnamed)"
    3 "Inherited Bowel Levitation - Reduced Without Any Effort"
    4 "The Echo (Replacement)"
    5 "The Putrefying Road in the Nineteenth Extremity (...Somewhere Inside the Bowels of Endlessness...)"
    6 "(Within) The Chamber of Whispering Eyes"
    7 "And You'll Remain... (In Pieces in Nothingness)"
    8 "Erecshyrinol"
    9 "The Planet That Once Used to Absorb Flesh in Order to Achieve Divinity and Immortality (Suffocated to the Flesh That It Desired...)"
    10 "The Cry"
    11 "Raped Embalmed Beauty Sleep"

I think tracks 2 and 3 are my favorites. If you can tell me what those tracks--or tracks 1 and 5--are about, I'll send you a cookie in the mail. Well, maybe.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

"How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days".
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Best band name - Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus

The Swirling Eddies had some good stuff - particularly on the album Outdoor Elvis, which contained TWO songs which nearly got them shut down - "Athur Fhardy's Yodeling Party" (for a lyric line which didn't bear up well under Freudian psychoanalysis) and "Hide the Beer, the Pastor's Here" (which listed a whole bunch of Christian colleges at the end who didn't appreciate the inclusion). Zoom Daddy has some good track titles, too - "I had a bad experience with the CIA, and now I'm gonna show you my feminine side", "God went bowling", etc. It's totally not your style of music, though.

Tourniquet went a little overboard with medical terminology, particularly on Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Best band name - Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus

The Swirling Eddies had some good stuff - particularly on the album Outdoor Elvis, which contained TWO songs which nearly got them shut down - "Athur Fhardy's Yodeling Party" (for a lyric line which didn't bear up well under Freudian psychoanalysis) and "Hide the Beer, the Pastor's Here" (which listed a whole bunch of Christian colleges at the end who didn't appreciate the inclusion). Zoom Daddy has some good track titles, too - "I had a bad experience with the CIA, and now I'm gonna show you my feminine side", "God went bowling", etc. It's totally not your style of music, though.

Tourniquet went a little overboard with medical terminology, particularly on Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance.
        For medical terminology, grindcore band Vomitorial Corpulence's album Skin Stripper is a gem. (Note: I really don't like grindcore)

Comment

Btw, to my knowledge a copy of Demilich's album can actually be downloaded for free--in a band-sanctioned manner (yeah, I know you can download anything, but this is legit). The music is weird enough to fit the titles, but it's actually very good.

Edit: should be downloadable from the band's webpage here, if anyone is interested.
          Last edited by Zymologist; 03-01-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            For medical terminology, grindcore band Vomitorial Corpulence's album Skin Stripper is a gem. (Note: I really don't like grindcore)
            The band is awful, though. I appreciate the vocal style, but this band's lyrics are wholly impenetrable.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I read a Lovecraft mythos short story the other day by Jeffrey Thomas called "I Married a Shoggoth." If you're at all familiar with the Lovecraft mythos, that title makes no reasonable sense at all.

I actually rather liked the story, though.

Comment

Well, I uploaded one of my soundtracks and it labeled itself "Breath Souffle World", which is hilariously wrong for "Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild". Does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  Well, I uploaded one of my soundtracks and it labeled itself "Breath Souffle World", which is hilariously wrong for "Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild". Does that count?
                  Sure, that counts.

A couple obscure old-school death metal bands I've found out about lately (no, I'm not making these up):

Demented Ted

Lemming Project

Jumpin' Jesus (man, I have no idea)

Another band called Incubator released an album called "McGillroy the Housefly." Now, if that doesn't make you want to headbang until your neck hurts, I don't know what will.

Comment

I read a Lovecraft mythos short story the other day by Jeffrey Thomas called "I Married a Shoggoth." If you're at all familiar with the Lovecraft mythos, that title makes no reasonable sense at all.

I actually rather liked the story, though.
                    Have you read The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson? Apparently it's what inspired Lovecraft.

sigpic

Comment

Have you read The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson? Apparently it's what inspired Lovecraft.
                      I have it and I've started it...I fully intend to finish it. It's an odd read for sure.

Comment

I have it and I've started it...I fully intend to finish it. It's an odd read for sure.
                        Same here.

sigpic

Comment

Same here.
                          I actually liked the over-the-top archaic style of it, but at the same time it made it an exhausting book to read.

Comment

I actually liked the over-the-top archaic style of it, but at the same time it made it an exhausting book to read.
                            It's a perfect book for my commute - I'm more or less a captive audience. I'll probably pick it back up again after Easter.

sigpic

Comment

"Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over", "Assistant to the Regional Manager", "Gimme Half", from The Devil Wears Prada. Almost all of their earlier stuff is similarly titled. The titles have nothing at all to do with the lyrics.
                              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment