Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hypothetical. All guns dissapear. What happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "just as lethal" which is not a phrase I used. I said that it depends on the circumstance. Getting stabbed in the heart versus shot in the heart will leave you equally dead. From a distance, yes, a gun is the weapon of choice. In close quarters or when fighting hand-to-hand, a knife would be much more practical. Guns have the disadvantage of being extraordinarily noisy while knives can kill silently. It's all very situational, which is why soldiers are armed with both guns and knives.
    I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have a gun in a hand-to-hand fight than a knife. Also, I was never issued a knife in the military, and I don't know anyone who ever was, even those who got sent to the sandbox. I'm sure someone out there gets a knife...probably Navy SEALS or something, but it's not standard military issue with regular grunts. In most circumstances, most of the time, a gun is going to be far far more effective than a knife. Everyone knows this. I willing to bet that even you know this, but you won't admit that here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It depends on what you mean by "just as lethal" which is not a phrase I used. I said that it depends on the circumstance. Getting stabbed in the heart versus shot in the heart will leave you equally dead. From a distance, yes, a gun is the weapon of choice. In close quarters or when fighting hand-to-hand, a knife would be much more practical. Guns have the disadvantage of being extraordinarily noisy while knives can kill silently. It's all very situational, which is why soldiers are armed with both guns and knives.
      Not only that, in close quarters, guns can be more lethal to the police officer because he has limitations on when he can employ it - criminals don't.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        In most circumstances, most of the time, a gun is going to be far far more effective than a knife.
        Again, it depends entirely on the circumstance. You may be able to argue that there are more situations in which a gun can be lethal, but that doesn't make knives inherently less lethal in the right situation.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Hmm, sorry, you're right.
          I just might add that to my signature!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I just might add that to my signature!
            I think he was just commenting on your political slant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I think he was just commenting on your political slant.
              Go to your room.

Comment

This is a public notice that my "amen" of JimL's post #89 was intentional, and not simply "pulling a CP" (where I was attempting to report him and accidentally amen'd him).

Not only does he acknowledge I'm right (something we accuse him of never doing) but the boy actually has a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  So you are saying that removing all guns won't make a difference, then?
                  If you could remove guns for good it would make a big difference, though that's not what I'm advocating. Laws regarding the ownership and use of guns is no different than the regulating other things for the good of society.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    If you could remove guns for good it would make a big difference, though that's not what I'm advocating. Laws regarding the ownership and use of guns is no different than the regulating other things for the good of society.
                    So even if you could remove all existing guns, it wouldn't make a difference because people would still find ways to get new guns. Is that what you are saying?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      So even if you could remove all existing guns, it wouldn't make a difference because people would still find ways to get new guns. Is that what you are saying?
                      No. Damn Sparky, you seem to be having great difficulty with comprehension today. Perhaps you're not getting enough sleep?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have a gun in a hand-to-hand fight than a knife. Also, I was never issued a knife in the military, and I don't know anyone who ever was, even those who got sent to the sandbox. I'm sure someone out there gets a knife...probably Navy SEALS or something, but it's not standard military issue with regular grunts. In most circumstances, most of the time, a gun is going to be far far more effective than a knife. Everyone knows this. I willing to bet that even you know this, but you won't admit that here.
                        First of all, I agree with you that a gun is usually the better choice, but MM IS correct that in certain situations, the knife wins. Myth Busters did a scenario where the person with the knife started within 21 ft of the gun. The knife won most of the time. Now, the parameters were a little sketchy the gun had to start holstered and the knife was already out, so, I would have liked to see them start with both holstered. Now, if the gun is out like the knife, then yeah, I think the test would have been different. Also, I carry my gun with one in the chamber...but the safety is on.

https://youtu.be/ckz7EmDxhtU
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          But hypotheticals, by definition, really need to be based at least in some hope of reality.

hypothesis: a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

It's silly to discuss something inconceivable as a hypothetical, like "guns couldn't exist". Unpossible!
                          Next time some theist suggests I consider what will happen when I faced his deity after death, I'll refer him to you
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Don't you think it's a bit silly the measures you'll go to in order to wiggle out of the general observation that the lethality of any given weapon is entirely dependent on the circumstances in which it is used?

"Guns are more lethal!"

Really? Tell that to the 29 people who were killed in a knife attack in China in 2014. Would they somehow be more dead if the attackers had used guns?
                            Why don't you tell those who survived because they were able to run away from the attackers, but who might have been dead if the attackers had used guns, that guns are not more lethal.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Yep. A negligible decrease proving that people don't need guns to kill each other.
                              Not only is a decrease from 15 to 11 not negligible, but you claimed there was no decrease.

Was that a lie, or merely a mistake? If it was a mistake, why haven't you admitted it, as you previously claimed you do? Or was that a lie?
                              Last edited by Roy; 03-06-2018, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Guns have the disadvantage of being extraordinarily noisy while knives can kill silently. It's all very situational, which is why soldiers are armed with both guns and knives.
                                Kitchen knives, perhaps, since they supposedly "kill just as readily as" combat knives.

Hey, MM! Do soldiers get issued with grapefruit knives?
                                Last edited by Roy; 03-06-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment