Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical. All guns dissapear. What happens?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Good idea!
    If it's such a good idea, perhaps you could explain how, exactly, we would "outlaw poverty", since we've been "at war" with it since 1964.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    If all guns dissapeared right now what would happen? Or more accurately what would possibly happen?.

If you asked me it would be short lived.
    If you mean that all guns just vanished, then I suspect people would quickly go out and buy more and replace them.

If you mean all guns are outlawed, collected, and destroyed - I suspect a black market in guns would quickly spring up and many of the guns would eventually be replaced.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    If you mean that all guns just vanished, then I suspect people would quickly go out and buy more and replace them.
    I'm thinking he meant all guns universally, in which case there would be none to buy. However, as I pointed out earlier, I think some people would get very rich designing, manufacturing, and selling new ones.

If you mean all guns are outlawed, collected, and destroyed - I suspect a black market in guns would quickly spring up and many of the guns would eventually be replaced.
    Pretty much same as above - or imported from countries where guns are still being manufactured.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm thinking he meant all guns universally, in which case there would be none to buy. However, as I pointed out earlier, I think some people would get very rich designing, manufacturing, and selling new ones.

Pretty much same as above - or imported from countries where guns are still being manufactured.
    It simply a hypothetical. What would happen if guns didn't exist, and couldn't exist?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It simply a hypothetical. What would happen if guns didn't exist, and couldn't exist?
    Yeah, I got that, Captain Oblivious.

Neither was I, so rather than assume, I asked. (Look at the thread title)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If it's such a good idea, perhaps you could explain how, exactly, we would "outlaw poverty", since we've been "at war" with it since 1964.
    I thought it was pretty obvious that suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but apparently some folks are taking it seriously.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Australia is an interesting case study. Assuming Wikipedia is correct, there were as many murders that left three or more dead in the 20-years before guns were banned as there were in the 20-years after guns were banned.
    I count 11 from 1997-2016 and 15 from 1977-1996. Even including the Melbourne incident from 2017 and the Monash incident with only 2 deaths in the 20 years after doesn't result in as many murders after as before.
    Last edited by Roy; 03-05-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    Mountain Man: A skin cell is a skin cell. It doesn't grow, it doesn't organize, it doesn't adapt, it doesn't self-sustain, it doesn't metabolize, it doesn't respond to stimuli.

8. Amen Charles amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I thought it was pretty obvious that suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but apparently some folks are taking it seriously.
    It's JimL.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wait, WHAT? and guns 'couldn't exist'?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wait, WHAT? and guns 'couldn't exist'?
    Perhaps a slower energy release from burning gunpowder that prevented the explosive reaction.
    Mountain Man: A skin cell is a skin cell. It doesn't grow, it doesn't organize, it doesn't adapt, it doesn't self-sustain, it doesn't metabolize, it doesn't respond to stimuli.