Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Randomness and chance or Fractal relationships in Chaos Theory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Natural law is a name of order.
    Yes, sort of, but your answer is incomplete.

Since there are different definitions and uses of 'natural law' I want to make it clear in this case I using it as the ultimate natural laws that underlie our physical existence, and re reflected in the natural laws of science.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-07-2018, 08:40 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Yes, sort of, but your answer is incomplete.

Since there are different definitions and uses of 'natural law' I want to make it clear in this case I using it as the ultimate natural laws that underlie our physical existence, and re reflected in the natural laws of science.
      Name one law which is not a matter of order. Even language and the meaning and use of words is a matter of order too.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Name one law which is not a matter of order. Even language and the meaning and use of words is a matter of order too.
        'Matter of order?' The natural laws of science do indeed describe the order of the physical existence from the human scientific perspective. The assumption of science is that there are natural laws that underlie our physical existence that reflect the scientific natural laws.

It is the order in the universe that the scientific methods have developed the natural laws we base our science on.

Chaos Theory simply describes the variation in the outcome of cause and effect events within the constraints of natural Laws in our universe in terms of fractal math.

What's your point?!?!?!
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-09-2018, 09:53 PM.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The following is research in the order and predictability in genetic mutations of the most primitive prokaryotic life (bacteria and archaea).

pangenome -In the fields of molecular biology and genetics, a pan-genome (pangenome or supragenome) is the entire set of genes from all strains within a clade.

Source: https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2304934120

Contingency, repeatability, and predictability in the evolution of a prokaryotic pangenome

Alan Beavan https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8219-6742, Maria Rosa Domingo-Sananes https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3339-8671, and James O. McInerney https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1885-2503 james.mcinerney@nottingham.ac.ukAuthors Info & Affiliations
          Edited by W. Doolittle, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada; received March 27, 2023; accepted November 5, 2023
          December 26, 2023

Significance

Different strains of the same prokaryotic species often show significant variation in gene content. Whether this variation is due to genetic drift or selection is not well understood. If the latter, we expect sets of genes to be consistently and repeatedly gained or lost together, or sequentially. We used machine learning to predict the presence of variable genes in a large set of Escherichia coli strains, using other variable genes as predictors. We find a large proportion of genes are predictable, suggesting selection plays a role in their acquisition, loss, and maintenance. We show that some genes are consistently associated with the presence or absence of others. These results have implications for understanding evolutionary dynamics in prokaryotic genomes.Abstract

Pangenomes exhibit remarkable variability in many prokaryotic species, much of which is maintained through the processes of horizontal gene transfer and gene loss. Repeated acquisitions of near-identical homologs can easily be observed across pangenomes, leading to the question of whether these parallel events potentiate similar evolutionary trajectories, or whether the remarkably different genetic backgrounds of the recipients mean that postacquisition evolutionary trajectories end up being quite different. In this study, we present a machine learning method that predicts the presence or absence of genes in the Escherichia coli pangenome based on complex patterns of the presence or absence of other accessory genes within a genome. Our analysis leverages the repeated transfer of genes through the E. coli pangenome to observe patterns of repeated evolution following similar events. We find that the presence or absence of a substantial set of genes is highly predictable from other genes alone, indicating that selection potentiates and maintains gene–gene co-occurrence and avoidance relationships deterministically over long-term bacterial evolution and is robust to differences in host evolutionary history. We propose that at least part of the pangenome can be understood as a set of genes with relationships that govern their likely cohabitants, analogous to an ecosystem’s set of interacting organisms. Our findings indicate that intragenomic gene fitness effects may be key drivers of prokaryotic evolution, influencing the repeated emergence of complex gene–gene relationships across the pangenome.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-28-2023, 08:35 AM.

Frank

Comment

More research into the predictability of genetic mutation in evolution:

Source: https://phys.org/news/2024-01-evolution-random-previously-thought.html

Evolution is not as random as previously thought, finds new study

by University of Nottinghamdent relationships of predictable genes and their predictors. The nodes are gene families, or groups of gene families with the same PAP, and the edges are coincidence relationships with the arrow pointing at the node whose presence is predicted by the other. Credit: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2023). DOI: 10.1073/pnas.2304934120
            A new study has found that evolution is not as unpredictable as previously thought, which could allow scientists to explore which genes could be useful to tackle real-world issues such as antibiotic resistance, disease, and climate change.

The study, which is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), challenges the long-standing belief about the unpredictability of evolution and has found that the evolutionary trajectory of a genome may be influenced by its evolutionary history, rather than determined by numerous factors and historical accidents.

The study was led by Professor James McInerney and Dr. Alan Beavan from the School of Life Sciences at the University of Nottingham, and Dr. Maria Rosa Domingo-Sananes from Nottingham Trent University.

"The implications of this research are nothing short of revolutionary," said Professor McInerney, the lead author of the study. "By demonstrating that evolution is not as random as we once thought, we've opened the door to an array of possibilities in synthetic biology, medicine, and environmental science."

The team carried out an analysis of the pangenome—the complete set of genes within a given species, to answer a critical question of whether evolution is predictable or whether the evolutionary paths of genomes are dependent on their history and so not predictable today.

© Copyright Original Source

Frank

Comment