Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Snopes and Facebook "fact check" obvious satire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snopes and Facebook "fact check" obvious satire

So, the Babylon Bee, a site that openly advertises itself as satire, wrote an article humorously claiming that CNN had purchased industrial sized washing machines to help reporters spin the facts:

Source: Babylon Bee

ATLANTA, GA—In order to aid the news station in preparing stories for consumption, popular news media organization CNN purchased an industrial-sized washing machine to help its journalists and news anchors spin the news before publication.

The custom-made device allows CNN reporters to load just the facts of a given issue, turn a dial to “spin cycle,” and within five minutes, receive a nearly unrecognizable version of the story that’s been spun to fit with the news station’s agenda.

One reporter was seen inserting the facts of a recent news story early Thursday morning.

https://babylonbee.com/news/cnn-purc...s-publication/

© Copyright Original Source

They posted the article to their Facebook page, and while you would have be Tassman and JimL levels of stupid to not recognize it was satire, Snopes sprang into action to "fact check" the article, claiming that

And now that the the obviously satirical piece had been declared "false" by a trusted (ha!) fact-checker, Facebook did its duty by flagging the piece as "fake news", and any user who tried to share the article had their post automatically edited to direct readers to Snopes instead.
    So, for the sin of tweaking CNN, not only is Facebook threatening the Babylon Bee with extinction, but those who share this satire are being flagged as spreaders of fake news.

When a powerful, mindless, faceless, left-wing bureaucracy wants to chill free speech, this is exactly how they go about it.

This is Kafka 101, a world where you do not know what the rules are because there are no rules — so you freeze and do nothing, which is exactly what the left wants. Never forget that this is exactly what Obama’s IRS did to the Tea Party in the lead up to the 2012 election.

Additionally, when one recalls how CNN threatened to dox a private citizen for making a silly YouTube video that targeted the last-place network, this act of corporate fascism against the Babylon Bee — and the chilling message it is meant to send to anyone who would dare mock the left-wing establishment — is even less surprising.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journal...shing-machine/

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

What brand was it?

Comment

the whole point is to purge right wingers from social media. it's why it was a horrible mistake to ignore the banishing of the dailystormer from the internet, or fail to back up trump during the charlotesville confrontation. the left knows there will be no real pushback from the right so they can now use all the institutions they control to purge whoever they want.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        What brand was it?
        washer.jpg

I don't know, but it's BIG!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There are still people out there who fall for satire, even a few who manage to fall for The Onion.

Incidentally, The Babylon Bee is probably the best/only example I can think of where the "Christian knock off version" is better than the original. The Onion just isn't funny to me.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            There are still people out there who fall for satire, even a few who manage to fall for The Onion.

Incidentally, The Babylon Bee is probably the best/only example I can think of where the "Christian knock off version" is better than the original. The Onion just isn't funny to me.
            The Onion has it's moments, but The Babylon Bee fills the Christian Satire void that the Wittenburg Door left in my life.
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              So, the Babylon Bee, a site that openly advertises itself as satire, wrote an article humorously claiming that CNN had purchased industrial sized washing machines to help reporters spin the facts:

ATLANTA, GA—In order to aid the news station in preparing stories for consumption, popular news media organization CNN purchased an industrial-sized washing machine to help its journalists and news anchors spin the news before publication.

The custom-made device allows CNN reporters to load just the facts of a given issue, turn a dial to “spin cycle,” and within five minutes, receive a nearly unrecognizable version of the story that’s been spun to fit with the news station’s agenda.

One reporter was seen inserting the facts of a recent news story early Thursday morning.

They posted the article to their Facebook page, and while you would have be Tassman and JimL levels of stupid to not recognize it was satire, Snopes sprang into action to "fact check" the article, claiming that

And now that the the obviously satirical piece had been declared "false" by a trusted (ha!) fact-checker, Facebook did its duty by flagging the piece as "fake news", and any user who tried to share the article had their post automatically edited to direct readers to Snopes instead.
              So, for the sin of tweaking CNN, not only is Facebook threatening the Babylon Bee with extinction, but those who share this satire are being flagged as spreaders of fake news.

When a powerful, mindless, faceless, left-wing bureaucracy wants to chill free speech, this is exactly how they go about it.

This is Kafka 101, a world where you do not know what the rules are because there are no rules — so you freeze and do nothing, which is exactly what the left wants. Never forget that this is exactly what Obama’s IRS did to the Tea Party in the lead up to the 2012 election.

Additionally, when one recalls how CNN threatened to dox a private citizen for making a silly YouTube video that targeted the last-place network, this act of corporate fascism against the Babylon Bee — and the chilling message it is meant to send to anyone who would dare mock the left-wing establishment — is even less surprising.

Keep in mind, we have some of those on the left who continue to insist this never happened and that it is nothing but a "right-wing meme" in spite of the fact that the IRS issued an apology but claims it was only the action of a few low ranking individuals.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

The Chinese government routinely fell for Onion articles.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  the left knows there will be no real pushback from the right so they can now use all the institutions they control to purge whoever they want.
                  Smarter libs already know that if they avoid topics like guns, there will be no real pushback from right, just slow retreat, also surrender!
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Who needs satire when we have Donald Trump?
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Indeed. President Trump has you liberals so tied up in knots that you guys have turned into a parody of yourselves.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        And we have you and JimL.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment