Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Online IT degree recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online IT degree recommendations?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, so if I've made a mistake perhaps the mods can move the thread to wherever is more appropriate.

I've been considering a career change. I'm not sure how much, but I want to learn more about digital forensics. To that end, I'm interested in pursuing certifications or degrees associated with digital forensics (like Information Security, Cybersecurity, even networking, etc.). Essentially I want to get some training in related IT areas because I have no real formal training (was a computer science major for a while but didn't pursue it too far).

I know we have some current and former IT professionals on Tweb, so I thought I'd seek some input. I'm looking for online only certificate programs or degree programs (2-year preferred because I'm not sure how much money I'm willing to put into this venture just yet). So...ideas, anyone?
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Good luck!

I don't know any programs I can recommend, but I will insert a caution. Again and again, I've seen for-profit online programs that are barely above scams, and some that are less than that. Accreditation scams are especially common. Please don't put money down without posting the program you're considering here so I can check it out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      Good luck!

I don't know any programs I can recommend, but I will insert a caution. Again and again, I've seen for-profit online programs that are barely above scams, and some that are less than that. Accreditation scams are especially common. Please don't put money down without posting the program you're considering here so I can check it out for you.
      Here's an example of a clear scam.

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/ranki...gy-it-degrees/

At a glance, none of these schools are advertised as regionally accredited, making me immediately suspicious of these rankings. Looking further ...
      *The schools listed above are sponsored. Sponsored school listings are distinct paid advertisements and are clearly marked with a “SPONSORED” or “FEATURED” tag to distinguish them from editorially ranked schools. Learn more about how rank schools or contact us with questions.

Looking back, none of the recommended schools are "clearly marked with a “SPONSORED” or “FEATURED” tag," but in the tiny print above the list, there it is, "FEATURED COLLEGES."

Comment

A true Computer IT guy would be able to hack the college and give himself a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
          I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, so if I've made a mistake perhaps the mods can move the thread to wherever is more appropriate.

I've been considering a career change. I'm not sure how much, but I want to learn more about digital forensics. To that end, I'm interested in pursuing certifications or degrees associated with digital forensics (like Information Security, Cybersecurity, even networking, etc.). Essentially I want to get some training in related IT areas because I have no real formal training (was a computer science major for a while but didn't pursue it too far).

I know we have some current and former IT professionals on Tweb, so I thought I'd seek some input. I'm looking for online only certificate programs or degree programs (2-year preferred because I'm not sure how much money I'm willing to put into this venture just yet). So...ideas, anyone?
          Hmmmm... I started my IT career back in the early 80's by reading PC Magazine and PC World cover to cover, building clones, and playing with computers. I got a hold of a copy of Ashton Tate dBase, and started putting together a membership program for my Church, as - in those days - you really couldn't buy "off the shelf" stuff for less than thousands of dollars, and they came with a live-in programmer.

Some of my buddies had Computer Science degrees, but when they got stuck on a server problem (Novell, back in those days) I was the one they came to to bail them out.

Since then, I managed to get certifications in CCNA and other areas, but no other formal education in computers.

I really don't know of a legit online-only IT program.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am old enough that when I got into IT there really wasn't much in the way of IT college degree courses out there. Like me, most IT guys were self-taught or went to technical schools.

Comment

Usually if you have something like Microsoft Certification or Comptia A+ that is good enough for most firms. I think IT is still enough of a new field that they still look more for qualified people who know what they are doing than someone with a degree under their belt.

But an actual degree certainly helps, especially in management positions.

Comment

Look for a brick and mortar not for profit college with online options. That's your best bet.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Usually if you have something like Microsoft Certification or Comptia A+ that is good enough for most firms. I think IT is still enough of a new field that they still look more for qualified people who know what they are doing than someone with a degree under their belt.

But an actual degree certainly helps, especially in management positions.
                  Like Carpe and I were discussing, a certification like CCNA may help you get your foot in the door for somebody who does not know you, but "passing a test" does not mean you can do the job. Virtually all of my computer customers came from word of mouth - I did ZERO advertising - from customers who knew me and knew I was a problem solver. Eventually, one of my better clients asked me to come on full-time - no job application, interview or anything like that.

And when I hired techs, the MS A+ was a factor, but I was actually looking for experience, not just "training" or "test taking".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am old enough that when I got into IT there really wasn't much in the way of IT college degree courses out there. Like me, most IT guys were self-taught or went to technical schools.
                    Yeah, and the problem is that the IT field moves so fast -- by the time somebody is certified to teach IT and gets a job teaching, the technology is drastically different. A friend decided to do the "computer science" route years ago, and they were teaching MS FrontPage (are they still around?) and dBase. And a lot of programming, which isn't bad if you want to be a code writer, but I was required to write very little code in my career - when I needed code written, I hired that out.

And, I'm trying to say this politely, but the IT field can be so lucrative, that if somebody is really good at IT, why are they teaching it instead of working it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Like Carpe and I were discussing, a certification like CCNA may help you get your foot in the door for somebody who does not know you, but "passing a test" does not mean you can do the job. Virtually all of my computer customers came from word of mouth - I did ZERO advertising - from customers who knew me and knew I was a problem solver. Eventually, one of my better clients asked me to come on full-time - no job application, interview or anything like that.

And when I hired techs, the MS A+ was a factor, but I was actually looking for experience, not just "training" or "test taking".
                      Yeah. I got my last job by having some previous experience on my resume and taking my laptop to the job interview to show what I did, and basically talked the talk and walked the walk. They called me on the way home from the interview to offer me the job.

Comment

Yeah, and the problem is that the IT field moves so fast -- by the time somebody is certified to teach IT and gets a job teaching, the technology is drastically different. A friend decided to do the "computer science" route years ago, and they were teaching MS FrontPage (are they still around?) and dBase. And a lot of programming, which isn't bad if you want to be a code writer, but I was required to write very little code in my career - when I needed code written, I hired that out.

And, I'm trying to say this politely, but the IT field can be so lucrative, that if somebody is really good at IT, why are they teaching it instead of working it?
                        Frontpage was discontinued 10 years ago. It was actually a good web design program.

Comment

Yeah. I got my last job by having some previous experience on my resume and taking my laptop to the job interview to show what I did, and basically talked the talk and walked the walk. They called me on the way home from the interview to offer me the job.
                          OK, had a really good LONG response - cloudfare ate it.

Comment

Frontpage was discontinued 10 years ago. It was actually a good web design program.
                            I used it for quick-and-dirty webpages for clients, where they could actually maintain the website. Mostly, it replaced "consultants" who would charge $1,000 for a website, constant fixes, and never got it right, but kept billing outrageous amounts.

Comment

I used it for quick-and-dirty webpages for clients, where they could actually maintain the website. Mostly, it replaced "consultants" who would charge $1,000 for a website, constant fixes, and never got it right, but kept billing outrageous amounts.
                              yeah it was great for standard HTML sites. Which is what most companies needed. Basically brochure sites. I even did a few frontpage with paypal ordering sites for companies with limited products.

Comment