Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Online IT degree recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I take that back - they were 8" floppies, and they're still available for purchase!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26783[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26784[/ATTACH]
    I still have a functional 486SX, but nothing quite that old. It takes modern 3.5-in. floppies. The CMOS battery is dead as a doornail, but it still plays my old games just fine.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I take that back - they were 8" floppies, and they're still available for purchase!

Dang that is even before my time. well almost. in high school we had a computer that filled up a room and used paper tape input and a printer as the output. I don't know the brand.

I think it stored programs on magnetic tape.

Comment

NO PROBLEM' MACHINE POSES A PRESIDENTIAL PROBLEM
        By EDWIN McDOWELL
        Published: March 24, 1981

THE normally unflappable Jimmy Carter endured several hours of anxiety recently when he accidentally expunged several manuscript pages from his word processor. What especially hurt, the former President recalled yesterday, was that ''I had labored over them for a couple of days.''

Mr. Carter's tale of electronic perfidy is a familiar one to journalists, since many newspapers have made the switch to word processors, versatile machines that resemble electric typewriters with video display screens. Now a growing number of writers are joining the electronic revolution, including Mr. Carter, who recently signed a contract with Bantam Books to write his memoirs in time for publication next year.

Mastering the Technology

Mr. Carter leased two Lanier ''No Problem'' word processors about a month ago and, despite an occasional electronic setback, he has made excellent progress in mastering their intricacies. ''It's been surprisingly easy,'' he said. ''Only a couple of times, I've had to call Lanier and ask, 'How do you get out of this quandary?' ''

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/24/ar...l-problem.html

I bet Cow Poke helped President Carter with his documents!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          NO PROBLEM' MACHINE POSES A PRESIDENTIAL PROBLEM
          By EDWIN McDOWELL
          Published: March 24, 1981

THE normally unflappable Jimmy Carter endured several hours of anxiety recently when he accidentally expunged several manuscript pages from his word processor. What especially hurt, the former President recalled yesterday, was that ''I had labored over them for a couple of days.''

Mr. Carter's tale of electronic perfidy is a familiar one to journalists, since many newspapers have made the switch to word processors, versatile machines that resemble electric typewriters with video display screens. Now a growing number of writers are joining the electronic revolution, including Mr. Carter, who recently signed a contract with Bantam Books to write his memoirs in time for publication next year.

Mastering the Technology

Mr. Carter leased two Lanier ''No Problem'' word processors about a month ago and, despite an occasional electronic setback, he has made excellent progress in mastering their intricacies. ''It's been surprisingly easy,'' he said. ''Only a couple of times, I've had to call Lanier and ask, 'How do you get out of this quandary?' ''

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/24/ar...l-problem.html

I bet Cow Poke helped President Carter with his documents!!
          I'm still marveling at "electronic perfidy".... and he "expunged" them?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm still marveling at "electronic perfidy".... and he "expunged" them?
            I LOL'd. It's the perfect description of what it's like when relatives and co-workers call me for technical advice. It's always fun trouble shooting tech issues at work without the admin password, so I can't install executable on other people's machines. HOWEVER...the last IT guy got tired of having to come up and type in the admin password on my machine so I could finish fixing the issues on my own computer, he finally just made me an admin on my machine. ^_^
            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

NO! Inconceivable! Will they never stop haunting me????
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

....I used the DisplayWriter from IBM with 8 inch floppies for both program and data. That machine likely saved my job as a clerk typist as I did not type clean documents. Belonged to another office so I had to ask to use it. Did a complicated typing job with a military directive draft that nobody else could finish properly.

But the MemoryWriter was IMHO the BEST automated typewriters ever! Made my job even easier!

Comment

Xerox-615-Memorywriter-Electric-Typewriter-See-Description-_1.jpg

Comment

25zagk.jpg

Comment