Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Online IT degree recommendations?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Like Carpe and I were discussing, a certification like CCNA may help you get your foot in the door for somebody who does not know you, but "passing a test" does not mean you can do the job. Virtually all of my computer customers came from word of mouth - I did ZERO advertising - from customers who knew me and knew I was a problem solver. Eventually, one of my better clients asked me to come on full-time - no job application, interview or anything like that.

And when I hired techs, the MS A+ was a factor, but I was actually looking for experience, not just "training" or "test taking".
    Yeah. I got my last job by having some previous experience on my resume and taking my laptop to the job interview to show what I did, and basically talked the talk and walked the walk. They called me on the way home from the interview to offer me the job.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, and the problem is that the IT field moves so fast -- by the time somebody is certified to teach IT and gets a job teaching, the technology is drastically different. A friend decided to do the "computer science" route years ago, and they were teaching MS FrontPage (are they still around?) and dBase. And a lot of programming, which isn't bad if you want to be a code writer, but I was required to write very little code in my career - when I needed code written, I hired that out.

And, I'm trying to say this politely, but the IT field can be so lucrative, that if somebody is really good at IT, why are they teaching it instead of working it?
    Frontpage was discontinued 10 years ago. It was actually a good web design program.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah. I got my last job by having some previous experience on my resume and taking my laptop to the job interview to show what I did, and basically talked the talk and walked the walk. They called me on the way home from the interview to offer me the job.
    OK, had a really good LONG response - cloudfare ate it.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Frontpage was discontinued 10 years ago. It was actually a good web design program.
    I used it for quick-and-dirty webpages for clients, where they could actually maintain the website. Mostly, it replaced "consultants" who would charge $1,000 for a website, constant fixes, and never got it right, but kept billing outrageous amounts.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I used it for quick-and-dirty webpages for clients, where they could actually maintain the website. Mostly, it replaced "consultants" who would charge $1,000 for a website, constant fixes, and never got it right, but kept billing outrageous amounts.
    yeah it was great for standard HTML sites. Which is what most companies needed. Basically brochure sites. I even did a few frontpage with paypal ordering sites for companies with limited products.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    yeah it was great for standard HTML sites. Which is what most companies needed. Basically brochure sites. I even did a few frontpage with paypal ordering sites for companies with limited products.
    If I remember correctly, they had a feature that allowed you to "include" a page into a website, and it dynamically updated that webpage. For instance - I would have the customer update a static HTML page on their server, and the FrontPage site would "lnclude" that updated page without them having to open or use FrontPage. It was kind of a poor man's CMS without all the hassle. It also seemed they made it really simple to have these "included" pages added or deleted based on date ranges, so you could automatically have a "Thanksgiving Day" page that would pop up on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and disappear on Thanksgiving at midnight - without programming.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If I remember correctly, they had a feature that allowed you to "include" a page into a website, and it dynamically updated that webpage. For instance - I would have the customer update a static HTML page on their server, and the FrontPage site would "lnclude" that updated page without them having to open or use FrontPage. It was kind of a poor man's CMS without all the hassle. It also seemed they made it really simple to have these "included" pages added or deleted based on date ranges, so you could automatically have a "Thanksgiving Day" page that would pop up on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and disappear on Thanksgiving at midnight - without programming.
    Yeah and they had "themes" basically shared elements and page borders. You could have a common heading on all pages which made doing menus a lot easier. Just change the top border page and it changed on all pages that included it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah and they had "themes" basically shared elements and page borders. You could have a common heading on all pages which made doing menus a lot easier. Just change the top border page and it changed on all pages that included it.
    Again, it's been a long time, but it also seems it was really easy to "import" a whole website, then "export" it to another - like if you were changing hosting companies.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And, I don't remember version numbers, but didn't each "new" version of FrontPage seem worse? I remember doing my best to hang onto one of the older versions, because it was simpler and more manageable.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Again, it's been a long time, but it also seems it was really easy to "import" a whole website, then "export" it to another - like if you were changing hosting companies.
    As long as the server had Frontpage extensions on it, yeah you could sync the online version with your offline version and republish it to other sites.