Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Media Genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Probably so - traveling, and just hopping on and off occasionally.
    Question was - clearly $20 is a "small" donation, and $100,000 is a "large" donation. You suggested that people making "large" donations are activists and should recuse themselves. My question was: where's the line?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Question was - clearly $20 is a "small" donation, and $100,000 is a "large" donation. You suggested that people making "large" donations are activists and should recuse themselves. My question was: where's the line?
      Here's what I actually said...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      My opinion, not that you asked for it, is that BIG donors - activists - should recuse themselves. I think that's just downright reasonable.
      It might not be so much the dollar amount, but that they're clearly advocating "for" one person over another. A lot of people in politics give money to both parties "just in case". Somebody who was working for the election of a particular candidate - not just financially, but promoting them - would be an "activist".

But, then, I think the whole system stinks, and am equally disgusted with both sides -- I'm an equal opportunity disgusticator.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's what I actually said...

It might not be so much the dollar amount, but that they're clearly advocating "for" one person over another. A lot of people in politics give money to both parties "just in case". Somebody who was working for the election of a particular candidate - not just financially, but promoting them - would be an "activist".

But, then, I think the whole system stinks, and am equally disgusted with both sides -- I'm an equal opportunity disgusticator.
        So I go back to my original point - I don't think donating to one party or another is an automatic basis for dismissal or recusal. I don't think being a member of a party is an automatic basis for dismissal or recusal. I think that should happen when we show clear, inappropriate favortism in our work - or if we are too "close" to the subject of the investigation (e.g., a family member, a financial business partner, etc.), or if we made public statements that suggest an inability to be impartial in our work.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          So I go back to my original point - I don't think donating to one party or another is an automatic basis for dismissal or recusal. I don't think being a member of a party is an automatic basis for dismissal or recusal. I think that should happen when we show clear, inappropriate favortism in our work - or if we are too "close" to the subject of the investigation (e.g., a family member, a financial business partner, etc.), or if we made public statements that suggest an inability to be impartial in our work.
          Still, you shouldn't have jumped to conclusions like you conclude others are doing.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Still, you shouldn't have jumped to conclusions like you conclude others are doing.
            There are days that jumping to conclusions is the most exercise some of us get during the afternoon

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment