Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Media Genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    To me, this is a marvelous example of Trump's media genius (about the only thing he qualifies as a genius on...)

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/03...-proposal.html

This flip comment has no chance of being realized because of the checks and balances of the American system of government. But it will cause the left to foam at the mouth, and the media to pick it up and speculate on his seriousness, the ramifications for our democracy, and the "stability" of our current White House occupant.

Sometimes, I wish we could give the entire media establishment a significant dose of valium, so perhaps Trump could not manipulate them so easily. Or maybe we just need to legalize pot nationwide!
    Don't know why you assume Trump isn't being serious. I think it is exactly how he would like to govern. He obviously has no respect for the law or for democracy itself, so why should we not take him seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      There's a difference.

Clinton's impeachment was seen by the public as being a political witch hunt orchestrated by the GOP and Starr, and many found Starr to be abusing his investigative powers into absurd jurisdiction.
      All that aside, Sea, the fact is he was impeached, but not convicted. Unless there's a radical change in the Senate, there's no way there will be a 2/3 vote for conviction.

But I acknowledge the Clinton deal was screwed up - but not just on the GOP side - his own lies and his cabinet members coming to his aid..... it was a mess.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yeah, that! And a conviction in the Senate is what triggers the removal from office.
        The only guys that were in that danger were Johnson and Nixon.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Don't know why you assume Trump isn't being serious.
          Because...

A) Carpe isn't an extreme left wing nutter
          2) He has a brain.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The only guys that were in that danger were Johnson and Nixon.
            I think Nixon more so than Johnson, but, yeah. (in modern times)

Comment

All that aside, Sea, the fact is he was impeached, but not convicted. Unless there's a radical change in the Senate, there's no way there will be a 2/3 vote for conviction.

But I acknowledge the Clinton deal was screwed up - but not just on the GOP side - his own lies and his cabinet members coming to his aid..... it was a mess.
              Clinton did a lot of things wrong as president, but Starr was simply out of control.

Comment

Clinton did a lot of things wrong as president, but Starr was simply out of control.
                Like all special prosecutors he exceeded his commission but a lot of the stories about what he did turned out to be wholly fiction as seen when the Starr Report was published. He was one of the few who didn't leak stuff and Clinton's folks knew it so they would make up all sorts of wild stuff about what he asked when they were finished being interviewed confident in their knowledge that Starr wouldn't contradict it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So many people keep getting this wrong. All it takes for somebody at the federal level to be "impeached" is a simple majority vote of those present and voting in the house of representatives. If that happens, the person is "impeached", and the process moves to the Senate. A "conviction" in a trial in the Senate, usually presided over by the Chief Justice, requires the 2/3 of the members present.

Bill Clinton was "impeached" by the House of Representatives, but not "convicted" in the Senate.
                  You're right. I was talking about the conviction, and used the word "impeach" instead. Thanks for the adjustment.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

There's a difference.

Clinton's impeachment was seen by the public as being a political witch hunt orchestrated by the GOP and Starr, and many found Starr to be abusing his investigative powers into absurd jurisdiction.
                    Which is a great description of how the right apparently sees Mueller and this investigation.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Don't know why you assume Trump isn't being serious. I think it is exactly how he would like to govern. He obviously has no respect for the law or for democracy itself, so why should we not take him seriously.
                      Oh I have no doubt it's how he would like to govern. He has continually shown admiration for "strong men" governments and it was how me managed his companies. But he has essentially no chance of doing that here. I have to admit, however, when he was first elected, I wasn't sure our systems could withstand the assault. So far, with the exception of the fourth estate, they've held up nicely.

Comment

Because...

A) Carpe isn't an extreme left wing nutter
                        2) He has a brain.
                        Umm... you might want to read my post first...

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          Umm... you might want to read my post first...
                          I stand by my post.

Comment

All it's going to take is Mueller finding an impeachable offense, and we'll be talking resignation.
                            The Democrats have been actively investigating Trump for almost two-years now. It started under Obama, it continued in earnest after Trump won the nomination, and now you have Mueller essentially digging through the Trump family's garbage cans and peering through their windows in the hope of finding something, anything to justify what is by all appearances a colossal waste of taxpayer money. If Trump's political enemies (and I include Mueller and his team in that category) haven't found something by now, the chances of them finding anything at all grow increasingly slim. Too bad Jeff Sessions doesn't have the backbone to put an end to the charade.

Nunes, on the other hand, now there's an investigation that is bearing fruit, and there's more to come.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There's a difference.

Clinton's impeachment The Russian investigation [is] seen by the public as being a political witch hunt orchestrated by the GOP and Starr Democrat party and Robert Mueller, and many [find] Starr Mueller to be abusing his investigative powers into absurd jurisdiction.
                              That works.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                The Democrats have been actively investigating Trump for almost two-years now. It started under Obama, it continued in earnest after Trump won the nomination, and now you have Mueller essentially digging through the Trump family's garbage cans and peering through their windows in the hope of finding something, anything to justify what is by all appearances a colossal waste of taxpayer money. If Trump's political enemies (and I include Mueller and his team in that category) haven't found something by now, the chances of them finding anything at all grow increasingly slim. Too bad Jeff Sessions doesn't have the backbone to put an end to the charade.

Nunes, on the other hand, now there's an investigation that is bearing fruit, and there's more to come.
                                You're right, the Nunes investigation is bearing fruit.

It's found money laundering, violations FEC, fraud, identity theft, unregistered foreign agents, tax scams, obstruction of justice ... oh wait, that's wasn't Nunes, that was Mueller.

That Nunes retard just established that the investigation into Page had nothing to do with the Trump campaign, and Papo getting wasted with some Aussie diplomats started the whole thing!

Comment