Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Media Genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Suuuurre... Rogue. That's exactly what I saw.... (backing away slowly)....
    Carpedm sees reality, runs back to Fake News, also latest MediaFactCheckBias site. Sad!
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      My opinion, not that you asked for it, is that BIG donors - activists - should recuse themselves. I think that's just downright reasonable.
      Oh, so now it's BIG donors and activists!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        I think some leeway should be permitted...say, any donors in excess of 300 lbs?
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• What carpe said:

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          And another sign of the incredible strength of our "leader." Trump has apparently signaled that he only wants to back legislation "that can pass."
          What the story actually says:

Source: The Washington Post

“He hasn’t backed away from these things at all,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said during a contentious back-and-forth with reporters Monday. “But he can’t make them happen with a broad stroke of the pen. You have to have some congressional component to do some of these things, and without that support, it’s not as possible.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.fde407233e15

© Copyright Original Source

So Trump never "signaled" that he will only back legislation "that can pass" -- in fact, the phrase "that can pass" doesn't even appear in carpe's source even though he put it in quotes to deceptively imply that he was quoting Trump. Rather, the Trump administration acknowledges that the President can't simply take action on his own but has to negotiate with Congress to get legislation passed. This is actually how our system is designed to operate, and Ms. Sanders saying that Trump "can’t make them happen with a broad stroke of the pen" seems like a direct slap at President Barack "I can do anything I want with a pen and a phone" Obama.

Second, why should the President spin his wheels trying to push through pie-in-the-sky legislation that doesn't have a chance in hell of passing when he can negotiate with his legislatures and craft something that won't simply be a waste of everybody's time? This is, in fact, exactly what a leader is supposed to do, he's supposed to drive the process, negotiate with all sides, consider all arguments, and push for something that actually has a good chance of arriving on his desk. It's the exact the opposite of Obama's "Do whatever you want and talk to me afterwards" leading-from-behind approach.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Suuuurre... Rogue. That's exactly what I saw.... (backing away slowly)....
            I'm sure in your case it is oh so obviously nothing but another right wing meme

Look at Obamacare for example. Obama left it up to Pelosi and Reid to do all the work and then send it up to him to sign.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              What carpe said:

What the story actually says:

Source: The Washington Post

“He hasn’t backed away from these things at all,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said during a contentious back-and-forth with reporters Monday. “But he can’t make them happen with a broad stroke of the pen. You have to have some congressional component to do some of these things, and without that support, it’s not as possible.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.fde407233e15

© Copyright Original Source

So Trump never "signaled" that he will only back legislation "that can pass" -- in fact, the phrase "that can pass" doesn't even appear in carpe's source even though he put it in quotes to deceptively imply that he was quoting Trump. Rather, the Trump administration acknowledges that the President can't simply take action on his own but has to negotiate with Congress to get legislation passed. This is actually how our system is designed to operate, and Ms. Sanders saying that Trump "can’t make them happen with a broad stroke of the pen" seems like a direct slap at President Barack "I can do anything I want with a pen and a phone" Obama.

Second, why should the President spin his wheels trying to push through pie-in-the-sky legislation that doesn't have a chance in hell of passing when he can negotiate with his legislatures and craft something that won't simply be a waste of everybody's time? This is, in fact, exactly what a leader is supposed to do, he's supposed to drive the process, negotiate with all sides, consider all arguments, and push for something that actually has a good chance of arriving on his desk. It's the exact the opposite of Obama's "Do whatever you want and talk to me afterwards" leading-from-behind approach.
              What? carpe twisting things beyond recognition -- including fabricating fake quotes? Color me surprised.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                You're just looking for a sumo exemption aren't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  You're just looking for a sumo exemption aren't you?
                  Good point...given that my man Ichinojo weighs about 470, I may need to rethink my criterion.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

You made me snort coffee up my nose....
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I'm sure in your case it is oh so obviously nothing but another right wing meme
                      Yeah - pretty much.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Look at Obamacare for example. Obama left it up to Pelosi and Reid to do all the work and then send it up to him to sign.
                      Actually, Obama went out and campaigned for it extensively, even mistating the extent to which people would be able tokeep their existing plans/doctors (i.e., he made it too absolute). And he did that at a time when it is far from certain that the plan would pass. The issue wasn't who created it - but rather whether or not the president has the cojones to go out and push for a less than sure thing. Trump appears to be largely unwilling to do so.

Well - except for the candidates he is backing, of course...
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        I never said otherwise. I simply asked a question.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, BIGLY donors!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You made me snort coffee up my nose....
                            Coke is better - the fizzy kind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Coke is better - the fizzy kind.
                              Did you miss the question about "the line?"

Comment

Did you miss the question about "the line?"
                                Probably so - traveling, and just hopping on and off occasionally.

Comment