Spanish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish.

Learning other languages is difficult. Learning any language is difficult. Honestly though I am having fun learning spanish. I figure that if I can learn even one other language opportunity opens up for me.
    sigpic

It's much easier for English speakers to learn Spanish than it is for Spanish speakers to learn English.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      It's much easier for English speakers to learn Spanish than it is for Spanish speakers to learn English.
      Considering that it is not much of a stretch to learn how feminine and masculine words work in spanish and english does not have that feature I would agree.

It will take time. I am tired.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        English is widely considered one of the most difficult languages to learn in that it in effect has no rules (any supposed rules it has comes with a legion of exceptions).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

that's why you should have your kid learn another language when they are young and their brain is wired to quickly learn language. i started learning english before I could read or write. actually, learning english and computer literacy from a young age are about the only things I can really credit my parents with.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Taco Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Taco Bell.
              That's the Mexican Phone Company!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                English is widely considered one of the most difficult languages to learn in that it in effect has no rules (any supposed rules it has comes with a legion of exceptions).
                Yeah....

We'll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes,
                But the plural of ox becomes oxen, not oxes.
                One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,
                Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.
                You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice,
                Yet the plural of house is houses, not hice.

If the plural of man is always called men,
                Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?
                If I speak of my foot and show you my feet,
                And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?
                If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
                Why shouldn't the plural of booth be called beeth?

Then one may be that, and there would be those,
                Yet hat in the plural would never be hose,
                And the plural of cat is cats, not cose.
                We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
                But though we say mother, we never say methren.
                Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,
                But imagine the feminine: she, shis and shim!

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in
                eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
                English muffins weren't invented in England. We take English for
                granted, but if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can
                work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither from
                Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers
                don't groce and hammers don't ham?
                Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend?
                If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of
                them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?
                If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
                Sometimes I think all the folks who grew up speaking English
                should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.

In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?
                We ship by truck but send cargo by ship...
                We have noses that run and feet that smell.
                We park in a driveway and drive in a parkway.
                And how can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same,
                while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language
                in which your house can burn up as it burns down,
                in which you fill in a form by filling it out, and
                in which an alarm goes off by going on.

And in closing, if Father is Pop, how come Mother's not Mop?

(stolen from the internetzweb)
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The poor fellow studying English as a second language, who once read the headline "Bazaar Pronounced Success", would highly agree.
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

The reason is, English has borrowed/stolen many, many bits and pieces from other languages and mashed them together. So you get grammar and spelling that, in its original language, made perfect sense because it conformed to that language's rules, but doesn't follow the rules of English at all, let alone the rules of the languages that all the other bits came from. So, all mashed together, you get long lists of exceptions and very little that follows what was once the rules of the English language.
                    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      that's why you should have your kid learn another language when they are young and their brain is wired to quickly learn language. i started learning english before I could read or write. actually, learning english and computer literacy from a young age are about the only things I can really credit my parents with.
                      If you don't use it, you'll lose it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                        The reason is, English has borrowed/stolen many, many bits and pieces from other languages and mashed them together. So you get grammar and spelling that, in its original language, made perfect sense because it conformed to that language's rules, but doesn't follow the rules of English at all, let alone the rules of the languages that all the other bits came from. So, all mashed together, you get long lists of exceptions and very little that follows what was once the rules of the English language.
                        Mooshed. Not mashed, but mooshed, as in rhymes with pushed.

(so says my wife)

Comment

If you don't use it, you'll lose it.
                          Same with muscles and faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Mooshed. Not mashed, but mooshed, as in rhymes with pushed.

(so says my wife)
                            I stand corrected! This is probably another example of one of those exceptions we were talking about.
                            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I kind of wish I'd taken Spanish instead of French in school. I took French just because everybody else was taking Spanish, but it's next to useless in the US.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment