Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spanish.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    that's why you should have your kid learn another language when they are young and their brain is wired to quickly learn language. i started learning english before I could read or write. actually, learning english and computer literacy from a young age are about the only things I can really credit my parents with.
    If you don't use it, you'll lose it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    The reason is, English has borrowed/stolen many, many bits and pieces from other languages and mashed them together. So you get grammar and spelling that, in its original language, made perfect sense because it conformed to that language's rules, but doesn't follow the rules of English at all, let alone the rules of the languages that all the other bits came from. So, all mashed together, you get long lists of exceptions and very little that follows what was once the rules of the English language.
    Mooshed. Not mashed, but mooshed, as in rhymes with pushed.

(so says my wife)

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    If you don't use it, you'll lose it.
    Same with muscles and faith.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Mooshed. Not mashed, but mooshed, as in rhymes with pushed.

(so says my wife)
    I stand corrected! This is probably another example of one of those exceptions we were talking about.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I kind of wish I'd taken Spanish instead of French in school. I took French just because everybody else was taking Spanish, but it's next to useless in the US.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I kind of wish I'd taken Spanish instead of French in school. I took French just because everybody else was taking Spanish, but it's next to useless in the US.
    It served me well in Haiti. French, that is, as they speak Creole, but it's enough like French that you can figure out what they're saying.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I stand corrected! This is probably another example of one of those exceptions we were talking about.
    I think she makes up her words as she goes - if you're sitting in the, she'll ask "can you scoochie over a bit..."

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I can't speak a word of Spanish. Which was highly frustrating when watching a TV series on Amazon Prime (Justified) that suddenly decided it was going to use the Spanish language track for two episodes and no amount of fiddling would make it play the English track (yay subtitles).

Maar ek is twee taalig want ek kan Afrikaans praat want dit is my twede taal. But kinda struggle to hold a conversation in it now as it's been nearly 11 years since I needed to.

I'm slowly trying to learn Te Reo.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    French, Romanian, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese are all related so I imagine if you know one it wouldn't be too hard to learn another.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    People used to get those CDs or DVDs to learn Spanish (Rosetta?), thinking that it would help them with dealing with the folks who come across our Southern border - but those learning programs are Spain Spanish, not Mexican Spanish. The Mexicans kinda snicker when you speak formal Spain Spanish to them.