Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spanish.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    French, Romanian, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese are all related so I imagine if you know one it wouldn't be too hard to learn another.
    My Associate Pastor, a few churches ago, was from Brazil, so he spoke Portuguese as his native language, learned English to live in the US, then learned Spanish so he could be my Hispanic Associate Pastor. When he translated for me when I was preaching, he was translating from his second language into his third language "on the fly". That always impressed me.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

2. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My Associate Pastor, a few churches ago, was from Brazil, so he spoke Portuguese as his native language, learned English to live in the US, then learned Spanish so he could be my Hispanic Associate Pastor. When he translated for me when I was preaching, he was translating from his second language into his third language "on the fly". That always impressed me.
    I knew a Catholic Priest for whom isiZulu was a first language, English was a second. He also knew Attic Greek, and when learning French, Attic Greek was the only language he had in common with his tutor, so that is what they used
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    I knew a Catholic Priest for whom isiZulu was a first language, English was a second. He also knew Attic Greek, and when learning French, Attic Greek was the only language he had in common with his tutor, so that is what they used
    I did some computer consulting for the EcoLab at Texas A&M in College Station Texas - it was an international lab, and the common language was French. It was kinda fun, cause they didn't know I had a working knowledge of French, and I never told them.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    French, Romanian, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese are all related so I imagine if you know one it wouldn't be too hard to learn another.
    Well apparently if you are Speedlearner1 you will learn Italian in order to learn Latin so you can improve your English.

6. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know a little Spanish (took it in school when I lived in El Paso as a kid) and some German (my mom was German, and I lived there on and off over the years).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I know a little Spanish (took it in school when I lived in El Paso as a kid) and some German (my mom was German, and I lived there on and off over the years).
    I know a little German from watching Combat, The Gallant Men, Hogan's Heroes and The Great Escape. Oh, and Stalag 13!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know a little German from watching Combat, The Gallant Men, Hogan's Heroes and The Great Escape. Oh, and Stalag 13!
    And it's true just like in the movies, everybody speaks English!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    And it's true just like in the movies, everybody speaks English!
    I love those shows (and movies) where they start off in the foreign language with English subtitles, then morph into English.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I love those shows (and movies) where they start off in the foreign language with English subtitles, then morph into English.
    Speaking of SUBTITLES!!!!! One of my favorites....

12. Amen Sparko, Cerebrum123, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "Ve must practice our English Comrade!"