Spanish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Well apparently if you are Speedlearner1 you will learn Italian in order to learn Latin so you can improve your English.
    There's actually some logic there but I wonder why he picked Italian. Is Italian the most closely related to Latin? I guess that would make sense...

I think if you live in the US it would make the most sense to just go with Spanish.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      There's actually some logic there but I wonder why he picked Italian. Is Italian the most closely related to Latin? I guess that would make sense...

I think if you live in the US it would make the most sense to just go with Spanish.
      Or just study English to improve your English?

But if you want to learn a useful foreign language, I would say that in the US, Spanish would be the most useful since Mexico and most of middle and South America speak it and we have a lot of Spanish speaking people in the US.

In Europe, probably German is a good one to learn. It is spoken in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Dutch is pretty close to German so you could probably get by in Holland, the Netherlands, and Belgium.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I did some computer consulting for the EcoLab at Texas A&M in College Station Texas - it was an international lab, and the common language was French. It was kinda fun, cause they didn't know I had a working knowledge of French, and I never told them.
        I have similar happening.

There are a fair number of South African ex-pats in New Zealand, and quite often I will be in the shop and hear a couple having a conversation in Afrikaans, thinking it's private because we live in NZ where the languages are English and Te Reo.

But the funniest story about that comes from an Aussie mate of mine who lives in Brisbane. Whilst Chris is Australian, he lived for many many years in South Africa (his wife is South African) and so has a working knowledge of Afrikaans. He was on the train home one evening and there was a girl having a loudish and x-rated conversation in Afrikaans with her boyfriend about what she was going to do to him when she got home. Being in Brisbane, she thought speaking in Afrikaans made it private......until Chris greeted her in Afrikaans....
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          I have similar happening.

There are a fair number of South African ex-pats in New Zealand, and quite often I will be in the shop and hear a couple having a conversation in Afrikaans, thinking it's private because we live in NZ where the languages are English and Te Reo.

But the funniest story about that comes from an Aussie mate of mine who lives in Brisbane. Whilst Chris is Australian, he lived for many many years in South Africa (his wife is South African) and so has a working knowledge of Afrikaans. He was on the train home one evening and there was a girl having a loudish and x-rated conversation in Afrikaans with her boyfriend about what she was going to do to him when she got home. Being in Brisbane, she thought speaking in Afrikaans made it private......until Chris greeted her in Afrikaans....
          One of my favorite such incidents comes from an old WWII movie, where a couple of GI's are in liberated Paris, and are asking a Parisian - painfully so - in French (laboriously consulting their English-to-French conversion handbook) where a certain Cafe is. After allowing the GI to stumble through this long question, the Parisian answers in crystal clear English -- "Down the street that way two blocks, then turn left - it's on your right".

(or some such drivel)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I kind of wish I'd taken Spanish instead of French in school. I took French just because everybody else was taking Spanish, but it's next to useless in the US.
            Same here. I wanted to take German in middle or high school but never got around to it, so now I'm taking a semester of it in college. We learned Spanish in my elementary school in 4th and 5th grade, so I know a handful of random vocab words and can understand where it's similar to French, but that's about it.
            Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
              Same here. I wanted to take German in middle or high school but never got around to it, so now I'm taking a semester of it in college. We learned Spanish in my elementary school in 4th and 5th grade, so I know a handful of random vocab words and can understand where it's similar to French, but that's about it.
              As long as you can order tacos and enchiladas and beer and know where the restrooms are, you should be OK.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

French used to be the THE universal language. I'm told Queen Elzabeth still uses French in Europe ..m
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  French used to be the THE universal language. I'm told Queen Elzabeth still uses French in Europe ..m
                  I think air travel changed that --- it became the universal language of the air and sea.

Comment

There is now even something known as Euro English which is (ironically) kinda sorta the lingua franca of EU countries and AFAICT is influenced a good bit by French terms and structure.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      As long as you can order tacos and enchiladas and beer and know where the restrooms are, you should be OK.
                      I like the #11. The enchilada, burrito and taco.

And once when I was asked what I wanted to drink I inquired if they had Sol beer. They did but were taken aback that a gringo even knew of this beer (at least then some 30 or more years ago). If you ever saw a six pack (again, back then) you noticed that the beers were all at slightly different levels.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment