Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Which Would You Personally Prefer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by element771 View Post
    I always likened it to applauding after a great concert / performance or praising a chef after a fantastic meal. They don't demand praise but we feel compelled to let them know how much we appreciate their creation.
    I think worship also keeps us humble, remembering that God is God, not us...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I think worship also keeps us humble, remembering that God is God, not us...
      Right.

In my analogy, part of the appreciate is the recognition that we cannot do what the performer, chef, or artist does. That is why we feel the need to praise them. If everyone could do what they do, no one would feel that need to offer praise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        If that is the only purpose in your life, then I feel sorry for you Tassy. That is really sad.
        Obviously, one has many absorbing interests and hobbies and fulfilling family commitments etc, but the overriding purpose in life for all creatures is one of survival and reproduction. Clearly, for those who want to believe in eternal life, this is insufficient.

It's not praising. It is glorifying. And he deserves it. Why do we glorify anything or anyone? We glorify him by our actions. He created us, and when we do good, and love one another, it reflects back on him as glory. The universe declares his glory. Everything good does.

Glory:
        1. high renown or honor won by notable achievements.

2. magnificence or great beauty.
        This is all very well, but surely it is unseemly that he should demand it.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Obviously, one has many absorbing interests and hobbies and fulfilling family commitments etc, but the overriding purpose in life for all creatures is one of survival and reproduction. Clearly, for those who want to believe in eternal life, this is insufficient.

This is all very well, but surely it is unseemly that he should demand it.
          Your idea of God as some petulant child demanding worship or he will send you to hell is incorrect and ridiculous. It is a strawman God you make up to feel better about your rejection of him. Many people have corrected you on this over the years, but you stubbornly cling to your delusion. All you are accomplishing is making it impossible to have an actual conversation with you, since you insist on creating a false version of God and Christianity which you then argue against instead of what we really believe.

It would be like if I insisted that all atheists are evil criminals who eat babies in their basement. We would have no chance at a true dialogue as long as I just kept accusing you of being that.

Comment

It would be like if I insisted that all atheists are evil criminals who eat babies in their basement.
            They aren't, they don't?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              They aren't, they don't?
              Everyone knows they eat babies in the kitchen.

Comment

Everyone knows they eat babies in the kitchen.
                They know God exists...they just don't want to admit it.

After all, atheism is a religion that requires a tremendous amount of faith.

Comment

Originally posted by element771 View Post
                  They know God exists...they just don't want to admit it.

After all, atheism is a religion that requires a tremendous amount of faith.
                  That's just silly talk. We don't know that god exists anymore than you do, thats why it's called a belief/faith.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    That's just silly talk.
                    I agree.

Do you get the point now?

Comment

• Originally posted by element771 View Post
                      I agree.

I was going to say something, but decided to let Jim continue to put his foot in his mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by element771 View Post
                        I agree.
                        Good.
                        I get the point that you think you are making, you think we don't understand your religion. We do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Your idea of God as some petulant child demanding worship or he will send you to hell is incorrect and ridiculous.
                          “It is an absurdity to believe that the deity has human passions and one of the lowest of human passions, a restless appetite for applause” – David Hume.

It is a strawman God you make up to feel better about your rejection of him.
                          You're projecting. One can’t reject what doesn’t exist; there are no substantive reasons to think gods and demons and spirits exist...even you reject most of them.

Many people have corrected you on this over the years, but you stubbornly cling to your delusion. All you are accomplishing is making it impossible to have an actual conversation with you, since you insist on creating a false version of God and Christianity which you then argue against instead of what we really believe.
                          The delusions are yours, I’m the one doing the “correcting”. Delusions are beliefs unsupported by facts and maintained despite evidence to the contrary.

It would be like if I insisted that all atheists are evil criminals who eat babies in their basement. We would have no chance at a true dialogue as long as I just kept accusing you of being that.
                          False analogy! What you regard as “true dialogue” is “I’m right and you’re wrong”, without supplying substantive evidence as to why you should be regarded as right. Personal testimonies don’t count and they’re all you’ve got.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            I get the point that you think you are making, you think we don't understand your religion. We do.
                            Then why don't your posts reflect that you do?

If you really understood it, you would not make such moronic mistakes and mischaracterizations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              “It is an absurdity to believe that the deity has human passions and one of the lowest of human passions, a restless appetite for applause” – David Hume.
                              Great, David Hume agrees with me that your belief that God has human passions and a restless appetite for applause is absurd.

You're projecting. One can’t reject what doesn’t exist; there are no substantive reasons to think gods and demons and spirits exist...even you reject most of them.
                              Another one of your strawman idiotic tactics. You argue against God and his qualities, yet when it is pointed out to you that you are wrong, you retreat to, "well he doesn't even exist so there!" like a petulant child.

The delusions are yours, I’m the one doing the “correcting”. Delusions are beliefs unsupported by facts and maintained despite evidence to the contrary.
                              No you are the one positing strawman arguments and thinking that by defeating them you have successfully defeated theism. All you have defeated is your own idiotic made-up argument.

False analogy! What you regard as “true dialogue” is “I’m right and you’re wrong”, without supplying substantive evidence as to why you should be regarded as right. Personal testimonies don’t count and they’re all you’ve got.
                              It was a perfect analogy. You keep wanting to destroy our faith by claiming God is a petulant child who demand out worship. Except that is not who God is, nor why we worship him. As long as you keep making up false beliefs to beat up, you will never touch our actual faith, and you make yourself look ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Good.

not in the least.

Comment