Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Which Would You Personally Prefer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    But that does not answer my question. You need to explain what you mean by "substantive evidence." I for one do not believe in "Santa" or in multiple "gods." And explain how one is to recognize substantive evidence which constitutes truth.

Comment

• How about engaging and giving a substantive answer instead of evading?

Which one do you mean?
      Last edited by MaxVel; 04-04-2018, 03:47 AM.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
        How about engaging and giving a substantive answer instead of evading?

Which one do you mean?

Comment

The God I know is omnipresent. All caused things are in Him by reason He is the Existance in which even space-time has its existence in. God being infinite and personal being omnipresent.
          I have no idea what to do with this, so I will take it as simply a testament of your faith/beliefs.

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Let me say it in a more intelligible way. Salvation, that is, God forgiveness of men is by undeserved favor alone, through faith in God's Christ alone. And men who fail to believe it, do so not understanding its truth.
          I am familiar with the "by faith alone" credo in Christianity. As for understanding...well, I'm sure someone who believes as you do is going to see someone who believes as I do as "not understanding."

Some truths understood cannot be denied. [Like 1 +1 =2.]
          I understand. I feel pretty much the same about atheism.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Hmm. There is substantive evidence for God. You simply choose to deny that evidence being evidence for God. So you therefore have no evidence for God. You attribute the identifiable evidence not to God. The primary evidence being being (existence uncaused). The universe (all the caused things). Information (its source of intelligence). There being an ultimate source of causation.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              Some truths understood cannot be denied. [Like 1 +1 =2.]
              I understand. I feel pretty much the same about atheism.
              Present it.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Present it.
                Present what?
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Hmm. There is substantive evidence for God.
                  There is no substantive evidence for your god.

What you claim is "substantive evidence for God" is actually non-substantive argument for something you claim is God.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Yes I said God made man good. I said it because God, after He made man, He said it was good.
                    Thats ridiculous. You said that god made man "good" in the sense that man was created inately "good," then you went on to say that a good man then made a bad decision and became evil. That was the argument you were making. Now that argument does agree with the biblical account if by "good" all you mean to say is that Adam was created sinless, the problem with that argument though is that the same applies to everyone and so Adam and Eve wouldn't be responsible for passing on a so called sinful nature to their progeny, their creator would be responsible.
                    So all of this is to ask the question what it is that you mean by "good" or "evil" when applied to the nature of man, or when applied to god for that matter. In the bible, evil is simply disobedience to authority, so "good" is simply obedience. Is that how you would define good and evil, obedience or disobedience to authority, or do you think they have some intrinsic meaning relative to human beings?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post

What you claim is "substantive evidence for God" is actually non-substantive argument for something you claim is God.
                      So what is your proof and substantive evidence that there can be no God. ]Existence does not exist, we are not here.]

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Thats ridiculous. You said that god made man "good" in the sense that man was created inately "good," then you went on to say that a good man then made a bad decision and became evil. That was the argument you were making. Now that argument does agree with the biblical account if by "good" all you mean to say is that Adam was created sinless, the problem with that argument though is that the same applies to everyone and so Adam and Eve wouldn't be responsible for passing on a so called sinful nature to their progeny, their creator would be responsible.
                        So all of this is to ask the question what it is that you mean by "good" or "evil" when applied to the nature of man, or when applied to god for that matter. In the bible, evil is simply disobedience to authority, so "good" is simply obedience. Is that how you would define good and evil, obedience or disobedience to authority, or do you think they have some intrinsic meaning relative to human beings?
                        I read this somewhere:

This is why there was no primeval sin: Adam and Eve were innocent and without sin which means they didn't:

1. know what death was.
                        2. understand threats (you will surely die)
                        3. know what lies and deception were (couldn't tell if the snake was telling the truth or not).
                        4. know what responsibility was.
                        5. know what punishment was.
                        6. know or understand the value of power (you will be like god)
                        7. know what the choice was as, without knowledge, you have no knowledge and can't understand if it's worth having and which is better no knowledge or knowledge.

Man didn't fall; it is without any doubt or contrary possibility that, if a god existed, the test was a prearranged certainty, rigged by god who created sin and sinned by using lies and deception to enforce the inevitable on Adam and Eve. Then he committed the further sin of falsely accusing them of making a free will choice to defy him. If god exists, they didn't fall they were pushed and all sin and evil that followed is god's direct responsibility and creation.

Comment

Hmm. There is substantive evidence for God. You simply choose to deny that evidence being evidence for God. So you therefore have no evidence for God. You attribute the identifiable evidence not to God. The primary evidence being being (existence uncaused). The universe (all the caused things). Information (its source of intelligence). There being an ultimate source of causation.
                          So you keep saying, but what you have yet to explain is why you would attribute the existence of the universe and us to a creator god? And not any old god, but your god!

Comment

So what is your proof and substantive evidence that there can be no God. ]Existence does not exist, we are not here.]
                            I did not claim to have any such thing.

This blatant combined straw-man and attempt to shift the burden of proof is further evidence that there is no substantive evidence for your god, only non-substantive (and flawed) argument. If there was substantive evidence for your god, you wouldn't need to engage in such shenanigans.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I did not make the claim God made man good.
                              Originally posted by 37818 two posts later
                              Yes I said God made man good.
                              TWeb needs better apologists.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Thats ridiculous. You said that god made man "good" in the sense that man was created in[n]ately "good," . . .
                                No. God made man. What God made was good. Man was made without knowing the difference between good and evil. You can believe what you want. Which is what you are going to do anyway.

Comment