Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Which Would You Personally Prefer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
    I won't try to guess Tassman's response, but I'm not sure why I would need a source. Is eyewitness authorship supposed to be some kind of default supposition?
    Yes. It has been accepted for 2000 years. Well, at least that the authors used eye witness accounts. John and Matthew were eye witnesses, Mark and Luke used eye witnesses, although Mark was probably actually there as rogue06 said earlier. He was also Peter's scribe. If you wish to challenge this it would be up to you (or Tassman) to provide proof.
    Last edited by Sparko; 05-14-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      There are many sources that say this, Bart Ehrman for one and Raymond E Brown, who is considered one of the greatest New Testament scholars of our time, is another.

https://lutherwasnotbornagaincom.wor...f-the-gospels/
      Quoting a blog of a book review is not evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Yes. It has been accepted for 2000 years.
        By some people, most of whom are committed to religious dogmas that need eyewitness authorship to defend those dogmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Only one deity. Not deities. Can you definitively show that there is not only one actual/real deity?

Yes. And what they say prove true. You cannot prove uncaused Existence is not the identity of God. You have only proven to me, for one, that you do not understand the Christian good news of the unmerited favor God offers do to your refusal to do so. Yeah, so you know a story of a death, burial and claimed resurrection. But you do not understand how that story is true or why or how it is good news nor the unmerited favor.
          Your argument comes down to demanding I prove your beliefs to be untrue. In short, no argument at all. The onus is yours to show why your beliefs are true.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The "blog" at which you sneer, in the absence of any rebuttal one notes, represents the views of an acknowledged authority on the gospels namely Raymond E Brown, who in turn is reflecting the consensus view of biblical scholars on the dating of the gospels.

The following are mostly the date ranges given by the late Raymond E. Brown, in his book An Introduction to the New Testament, as representing the general scholarly consensus.:

Matthew: c. 70–100 as the majority view, with conservative scholars arguing for a pre-70 date, particularly if they do not accept Mark as the first gospel written.
            Mark: c. 68–73
            Luke: c. 80–100, with most arguing for somewhere around 85
            John: c. 90–110. Dr Brown does not give a consensus view for John, but these are dates as propounded by C K Barrett, among others. The majority view is that it was written in stages, so there was no one date of composition. Cited Wiki.

Also, from Boston College:

https://www.bc.edu/schools/stm/cross...hegospels.html

As for eyewitness reportage, the consensus view is that while eyewitnesses may have originated some of the traditions about Jesus, they were transmitted as anonymous traditions in the early Christian communities, developing in all sorts of ways in the process, and reached the gospel writers as the product of such community transmission and development.
            Last edited by Tassman; 05-15-2018, 12:38 AM.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Your argument comes down to demanding I prove your beliefs to be untrue. In short, no argument at all. The onus is yours to show why your beliefs are true.
              Historically the Hebrews worshipped God whose Name means the self Existent. And the only "thing" self existent is the uncaused Existence itself. I have argued that is God's identity. The argument stands irrefutable.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

By some people, most of whom are committed to religious dogmas that need eyewitness authorship to defend those dogmas.
                By the church, Christians and a majority of historians.

Comment

A book review by Gary, no less. I thought he'd closed up shop after running away from Craig Keener's Miracles.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    A book review by Gary, no less. I thought he'd closed up shop after running away from Craig Keener's Miracles.
                    I didn't even catch that!

Comment

Historically the Hebrews worshipped God whose Name means the self Existent. And the only "thing" self existent is the uncaused Existence itself. I have argued that is God's identity. The argument stands irrefutable.
                      "Historically" many peoples have worshipped many gods. So...?

Comment

And whose fault is that? The only clues I can have are those provided by people who say he exists.
                        Saying God exists is not understanding what and who God is. God being the self Existent existence itself. "In Him we live and move and have our existence." -- the Apostle Paul.

I am an atheist because theists cannot give me a good reason to believe anything they say about God.
                        Yeah, most theists will mistakenly argue for the existence of God. Existence needs no proof, God does as they argue. Yet those who are genuine Christians know God through Christ. That really is the only argument they really need to make, they know God and you can too.
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Yet those who are genuine Christians know God through Christ.
                          You say so.

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          That really is the only argument they really need to make, they know God and you can too.
                          That is no argument. That is an assertion, and you are giving me no reason to believe it.

Comment

Saying God exists is not understanding what and who God is. God being the self Existent existence itself. "In Him we live and move and have our existence." -- the Apostle Paul.
                            How would Paul know?

Yeah, most theists will mistakenly argue for the existence of God. Existence needs no proof, God does as they argue. Yet those who are genuine Christians know God through Christ. That really is the only argument they really need to make, they know God and you can too.
                            That's no argument at all, it's merely a statement of faith unsupported by evidence.

Comment

How would Paul know?
                              A number of reasons.

That's no argument at all, it's merely a statement of faith unsupported by evidence.
                              What attempt have you made to understand?

Comment

You say so.
                                You at one time professed a Christianity. And you didn't know God.

That is no argument. That is an assertion, and you are giving me no reason to believe it.
                                Sure I have. Not in that post. I have cited in other posts that Jesus had argued one can know a teaching comes from God. Now how can one know a teaching came from God? Might it be that God does something by which that individual comes to know the teaching is really from God?

Comment