Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
I'm sort of embarrassed to be posting one of those "Bible problem" questions but I'm not sure what to make of Matthew 6:33. Everybody knows it: Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteous, and all these things shall be added unto you. It's the last part. The meaning seems clear enough. Craig Keener http://www.craigkeener.com/tag/all-t...dded-unto-you/ explains that it means that if you seek God's righteousness, then your basic needs like shelter and food will be taken care of. However, how do we interpret this when it comes to the issue of homelessness and people struggling to make ends meet? There are homeless Christians out there. Does this mean that they failed to trust God? Or does this mean that Jesus's statements should not be taken as a literal promise? I remember reading a news story about a trucker who got stranded in a snowstorm. His body was found with diary entries about how he was certain God would provide. It would seem like he followed the instructions given in this verse to a T.
Maybe it should be taken as hyperbole ? Jesus, and the early Christian community, could hardly have been unaware of the objection, yet the problematic passage was retained as part of early Tradition, and became part of the Gospel text.

Why would the passage be intended as a promise ? To take it as a promise multiplies the problem it poses. Doing so reads too much into those words.