Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jesus and His disciples ate the Passover when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Before trying to determine the date of the Passover meal (or the resurrection) you'd better determine whether or not the Bible has enough detailis even precise enough for you to make a judgement one way or the other.
    OK. I wonder, what is your reason to subscribe to this thread?
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      The Passover occurs on the 14th day. This would be Tuesday night. Then Jesus the real lamb of God would also be killed later on the 14th (Wednesday afternoon).

Exodus 12:18-19
      In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even. Seven days shall there be no leaven found in your houses: for whosoever eateth that which is leavened, even that soul shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he be a stranger, or born in the land.

Joshua 5:10-11
      And the children of Israel encamped in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the month at even in the plains of Jericho.
      And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day.

Ezekiel 45:21
      In the first month, in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten.

Note: Some sources say that the Passover is eight days, but the Bible seems to contradict this doctrine. Most likely, the eighth day or 21st of Nisan is the point at which they were allowed to eat regular bread again.
      Thank you.

There are three interpretations as to the poll. Your presentation is very good to say the least (Wednesday day being the 14th of Nisan). For the Wednesday crucifixion view. In 33 AD the 14th of Nisan is on the Friday (tradition). It is my understanding the Passover day 14th of Nisan (Mark 14:12). Is followed by the 7 day feast of unleavened bread, the 15th through the 21st. It was also called the Passover (Luke 22:1). And the 14th and the 15th through 21st makes the 8 days. Modern Jews Passover begins on the 15th of Nisan, which is marked on some calendars as the first day of Passover. And the Jewish observance begins the evening before (compare Mark 14:17, 18). The Jewish days begin on the evening before the day.

I am of the persuasion that the crucifixion was on the Thursday. (These views are secondary issues. But they are if interest.) For my self, my personal discovery of this view was in about 1969. My question then was, was it the (traditional) Friday or Wednesday? Mark 14:12 identified as the 14th of Nisan. And the following evening (Mark 14:17) marked the beginning of the 15th of Nisan. Mark 15:42, "And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath, . . ." marked the beginning of the Preparation, making the next day Friday it being before the Sabbath. Of course there is more to this.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        OK. I wonder, what is your reason to subscribe to this thread?
        I'm mildly interested in the topic.

ETA: I have to ask though, why edit my quote?

Comment

Originally posted by 37818
          Mark 14:12 identified as the 14th of Nisan. And the following evening (Mark 14:17) marked the beginning of the 15th of Nisan. Mark 15:42, "And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath, . . ." marked the beginning of the Preparation, making the next day Friday it being before the Sabbath. Of course there is more to this.
          I think your theory has more problems than mine. First, it seemingly makes Jesus eat the Passover on the wrong day (the 15th) in violation of the law. Second, it would make the crucifixion occur on the 15th which was supposed to be a sabbath. While the Jews were not opposed to murder, they would have certainly abhored to do it on a sabbath.

The more reasonable explanations are that Mark 14:12 either:
          1) Refers to Tuesday evening as the time when the animal was killed, or
          2) Uses a gentile timing system, and merely calls Tuesday day (the 13th) as part of the same day as Tuesday night (the 14th).

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            I'm mildly interested in the topic.

ETA: I have to ask though, why edit my quote?
            I made a mistake. I should have written "details" instead of just "detail." It's not just being precise, it's having enough details to help us understand what really happened. eta I'm funny that way--don't mind me too much.
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I think your theory has more problems than mine. First, it seemingly makes Jesus eat the Passover on the wrong day (the 15th) in violation of the law. Second, it would make the crucifixion occur on the 15th which was supposed to be a sabbath. While the Jews were not opposed to murder, they would have certainly abhored to do it on a sabbath.

The more reasonable explanations are that Mark 14:12 either:
              1) Refers to Tuesday evening as the time when the animal was killed, or
              2) Uses a gentile timing system, and merely calls Tuesday day (the 13th) as part of the same day as Tuesday night (the 14th).
              The Friday tradition also wants to make Mark 14:12 the 13th of Nisan.
              "The time was about six o'clock in the morning on the Friday of the Passover festival. Pilate said to the Jews, 'Look, here's your king!'" -- John 19:14., GOD'S WORD® Translation.

In 33 AD the 14th of Nisan fell on a Friday. With that interpretation Jesus would have eaten the Passover the Thursday evening.

The sin offering was made on the first day of feast , the 15th of Nisan (Numbers 28:21, 22). And by Jesus' day 7 such offerings were being made during the week (Ezekiel 45:22, 23). Each day was a "preparation" (v.22, 24). Besides the 7 lambs according to the Law (Numbers 28:21).
              Last edited by 37818; 04-21-2014, 02:09 PM.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I guess TM and Cathy gave good answers, but I wonder about the best way to help the skeptic. And maybe in trying to determine what the best date is, we might learn more about the events in the Bible.
                I guess the best way to help the skeptic is to get to understand where he is coming from and what type of skeptic is he. If he is a genuine skeptic, help him to work through his issue and never belittle his point of view. Probably nothing is harder than convincing someone the truth after he's been called stupid.

If he is skeptic that will refuse to believe, place him in God's inbox, pray for him, and move on.

Doing this takes some discernment and patience for the skeptic to reveal what type he is.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by 37818
                  The sin offering was made on the first day of feast , the 15th of Nisan (Numbers 28:21, 22). And by Jesus' day 7 such offerings were being made during the week (Ezekiel 45:22, 23). Each day was a "preparation" (v.22, 24). Besides the 7 lambs according to the Law (Numbers 28:21).
                  All sacrifices were "sin offerings" in one way or another. Anyway, that is beside the point. Your interpretation would have the Jews killing Jesus in violation of the sabbath. That is unrealistic. And it is contrary to this verse:

John 19:31
                  The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

The worry seems to have been that the sabbath was about to begin. The sabbath refers to the 15th.

As best I can tell, on the 14th they were supposed to eat one lamb. On the other days they were supposed to kill 7 animals for each day.
                  Last edited by Obsidian; 04-21-2014, 09:41 PM.

Comment

All sacrifices were "sin offerings" in one way or another. Anyway, that is beside the point. Your interpretation would have the Jews killing Jesus in violation of the sabbath. That is unrealistic. And it is contrary to this verse:

John 19:31
                    The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

The worry seems to have been that the sabbath was about to begin. The sabbath refers to the 15th.

As best I can tell, on the 14th they were supposed to eat one lamb. On the other days they were supposed to kill 7 animals for each day.
                    It has been my understanding that following evening after Christ died was the beginning of the Preparation, the day before the Sabbath. (Mark 15:42).

As it was, it is my understanding Jesus' arrest and trial was illegal.

http://livingtheway.org/jesustrial.html

http://www.jewfaq.org/holidaya.htm

Comment

Mark 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath...

I don't know why you cite this verse. It proves that Jesus was killed on the 14th (and/or on a Friday).

Comment

Mark 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath...

I don't know why you cite this verse. It proves that Jesus was killed on the 14th (and/or on a Friday).
                        There are two ways to understand this. The traditional interpretation. Which you have just defended. Actually supporting the disciples eating the Passover the afternoon of the 13th before sunset and beginning of 14th of Nisan.

"And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?" -- Mark 14:12. Denying that this is the 14th of Nisan.

"And in the evening he cometh with the twelve. . . . "-- Mark 14:17.Denying this is the evening prior to the day of the 15th of Nisan.

"And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath, . . ." -- Mark 15:42.Interpreting that this is the afternoon (not after sunset, the beginning) of the Preparation day, the day before the 7th day Sabbath.

The Hebrew transliterated into Greek as "Sabbath" means in the Hebrew a Rest observed on the 7th day. And the Koine Greek usage refers to the 7th day, and so its plural is translated as to mean a "week." (This is unique to the NT Greek text usage.)

The second (not common) way, that those "evenings" were at "sunset" and the start of the next Jewish day. Mark 14:12 being the 14th of Nisan.
                        Last edited by 37818; 04-23-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Mark's language might just be imprecise both times.

"And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the Passover" might mean --> Tuesday, the Passover

"And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath" might mean --> Wednesday, the day before the Thursday Sabbath. We could interpret it literally, to mean that evening already came and Joseph of Arimethea was an hour or two late when getting the body into the ground. Or we could interpret it to mean something like "The evening was fast approaching."

If the verse were saying that "The evening was come, making this the start of the 14th," then the verse would have no meaning because that would mean that Joseph had a full 24 hours to get the body into the ground, and there wouldn't be any hurry at all. The sabbath started on the 15th, by law.

And I still think it is ridiculous to argue that Pharisees would murder a man on the sabbath.
                          Last edited by Obsidian; 04-23-2014, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I am confused. A reason is that every sunset is the end of the old day and the start of the new day. In any case I realize now that "evening" does not necessarily mean "sunset"; it could mean either before or after. When the day is old or when it is new. I tried to make a timeline following modern convention, but I got stuck in the mud.

Comment

I am confused. A reason is that every sunset is the end of the old day and the start of the new day. In any case I realize now that "evening" does not necessarily mean "sunset"; it could mean either before or after. When the day is old or when it is new. I tried to make a timeline following modern convention, but I got stuck in the mud.
                              The Greek word translated "evening" can mean "late afternoon." The Greek word means "late." So it can also be the beginning of night as translated "evening."

"And at even, when the sun did set, . . ." -- Mark 1:32.
                              "And the same day, when the even was come, . . ." -- Mark 4:35.

Even so after the evening, when the sun sets is always the beginning of the next Jewish day.

So no matter what, Mark 14:12 being the 14th of Nissan, Mark 14:17 indicates, in my understanding, Jesus and His disciples age the traditional Passover the evening of the 15th of Nisan just as Jews do today.

Comment

Then why was Joseph of Arimathea concerned about leaving the body unburied, if the sabbath was already past?

Comment