Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

"Who Enjoys Violent Music and Why?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Who Enjoys Violent Music and Why?"

I found this recent study, examining the effects of death metal on listeners; both fans and non-fans. The results are fascinating, and indicate that the music will generally elicit two polar opposite responses. Here's the abstract:

Source: Thompson, Geeves, and Olsen "Who Enjoys Violent Music and Why?"

Negative emotions are usually avoided in daily life, yet often appreciated in artistic endeavours. The present study investigated emotional experiences induced by Death Metal music with extremely violent themes, and examined whether enjoyment of this genre of music is associated with personality traits. Fans (N=48) and non-fans (N=97) listened to 60-second excerpts of Death Metal music and rated their emotional experiences. Compared with non-fans, fans experienced a wide range of positive emotions including power, joy, peace, and wonder. In contrast, non-fans reported uniformly negative experiences, including tension, anger and fear. Fans and non-fans were also distinguished by personality traits, with fans lower in conscientiousness and agreeableness, and in their motivations for listening to music. Results suggest that individuals with certain personality and music-listening motivations are drawn towards aggressive music with violent themes, and their enthusiasm for this genre promotes a range of positive emotional responses to this music.

Who enjoys listening to violent music and why? (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._music_and_why [accessed Mar 08 2018].

© Copyright Original Source

This rings true in my personal experience. Death metal is simultaneously an acquired taste (I took a while to get to where I'm at today), and also a style of music that most people simply won't "get," no matter how much they listen to it (although they might gain appreciation for certain elements). A song that I can find exciting, interesting, intricate etc. could repulse and disgust somebody else. I've been sharing a lot of music with a friend of mine lately, and he's been a remarkably good sport about it. He's what the study--and I--would classify as a non-fan of death metal: he finds it jarring and unpleasant, if not outright scary and/or repulsive. Although he's gained an appreciation for it that he didn't have before, he's probably one of those people who just won't really "get it," due to his personality. Kudos to him for giving it a shot, though.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Is it just noise? Are there lyrics? Are there bad words in the lyrics?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Is it just noise? Are there lyrics? Are there bad words in the lyrics?
      No, most of the time, and sometimes (though probably less often than you'd think).

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        No, most of the time, and sometimes (though probably less often than you'd think).
        OK, so when we used to have these discussions back in the 'rock and roll' days, and I'd point out some of the horrific lyrics of some of the songs, the standard response was "well, I don't listen to the words".

Comment?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          OK, so when we used to have these discussions back in the 'rock and roll' days, and I'd point out some of the horrific lyrics of some of the songs, the standard response was "well, I don't listen to the words".

Comment?
          Most of the time I don't actually listen to the words.

That said, I could find a variety of interesting lyrical subjects in death metal: mythology, history, politics, ancient Egypt, aliens and sci-fi in general, the work of Lovecraft or Tolkien, religion and philosophy, Star Wars...I could probably come up with more if I thought about it.

Comment

Is this the same as Screamo? cuz I can't stand that. But I think OBP likes it.

Comment

Most of the time I don't actually listen to the words.

That said, I could find a variety of interesting lyrical subjects in death metal: mythology, history, politics, ancient Egypt, aliens and sci-fi in general, the work of Lovecraft or Tolkien, religion and philosophy, Star Wars...I could probably come up with more if I thought about it.
              A tabletop wargame from the 80's, war (e.g., WWI or WWII), CS Lewis, ancient Rome....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                No, screamo is for angsty dweebs with ear gauges and skinny jeans.

Death metal is for men who can appreciate quality music.
                Last edited by Zymologist; 03-08-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Before y'all conclude I'm a freak (too late, I know), let me add that I also like Celtic Woman and this, for example:

Comment

Death Metal, Violent music, Sumo... I am sensing a pattern here.

Keep sharp objects away from Zym.

Comment

Death Metal, Violent music, Sumo... I am sensing a pattern here.

Keep sharp objects away from Zym.
                      Don't forget juggling and unicycles

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A tabletop wargame from the 80's, war (e.g., WWI or WWII), CS Lewis, ancient Rome....

I think there's a couple based on The Wheel of Time, too (I remember one called Lanfear).
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I don't care as much for Mortification albums after Post Momentary Affliction because they switched from growl vocals to a more screamo type vocal.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I don't care as much for Mortification albums after Post Momentary Affliction because they switched from growl vocals to a more screamo type vocal.
                            I have no idea what you just said.

Comment

Interesting study. Thank you for sharing it. When I was a teen I listened to heavy metal music all the time. Of courses I lived a very different lifestyle at that time. The lyrics of the music was very important to me when I was listening to it. It could be because I was a girl. We tend to be a bit more on the emotional side or at least I am. I can still enjoy that kind of music but most of the lyrics not so much anymore. Music is a very unique thing. It amazes me how different people really are. I guess that makes life interesting.

Comment