Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

"Who Enjoys Violent Music and Why?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I have no idea what you just said.
    All sounds very touchy feely emo, to me....

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I listen to a lot of metal, but...

Well, I was going to say that I don't listen to anything with overtly violent lyrics, but then I realised that some of it is violent in a "God will crush his enemies" sort of way. But I don't listen to anything that is negative, or satanic, or that has profanity in it. Even the stuff I listen to that is sung in Finnish and the like has to have lyrics I approve of.

Funny story: My mother loves country music, and I absolutely hate it. So I was going somewhere with her one day, and she turns on country music in the car. I complained, and she proceeded to lecture me about how rude it is to tell someone else what they can and can't listen to in their own car, and she wasn't going to change it. Then some time afterwards, she was going somewhere with me in my car. So I turned on the heavy metal full blast like I always do when driving, and she said, "do we HAVE to listen to this garbage?" I told her she can't tell me what to listen to in my own car. She has never made me listen to country music ever again.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture.

Because. Cannons and bells and general coolness.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          I listen to a lot of metal, but...

Well, I was going to say that I don't listen to anything with overtly violent lyrics, but then I realised that some of it is violent in a "God will crush his enemies" sort of way. But I don't listen to anything that is negative, or satanic, or that has profanity in it. Even the stuff I listen to that is sung in Finnish and the like has to have lyrics I approve of.
          Yeah, I pretty much stick to Christian-themed lyrics, with only a handful of exceptions (Eluveitie, Iluvatar).

Funny story: My mother loves country music, and I absolutely hate it. So I was going somewhere with her one day, and she turns on country music in the car. I complained, and she proceeded to lecture me about how rude it is to tell someone else what they can and can't listen to in their own car, and she wasn't going to change it. Then some time afterwards, she was going somewhere with me in my car. So I turned on the heavy metal full blast like I always do when driving, and she said, "do we HAVE to listen to this garbage?" I told her she can't tell me what to listen to in my own car. She has never made me listen to country music ever again.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Before y'all conclude I'm a freak (too late, I know), let me add that I also like Celtic Woman and this, for example:

We sing that on Great Friday, after the burial service.

Valaam has a few recordings in English:
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

When it comes to metal, I only like clean vocals and clean lyrics. (Or instrumentals.) That combination is rare, it seems.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  When it comes to metal, I only like clean vocals and clean lyrics. (Or instrumentals.) That combination is rare, it seems.
                  Epic doom, traditional doom, traditional heavy metal, or power metal might be what you're looking for.

Off the top of my head, Evangelist and Monasterium are pretty great epic doom options, Pylon is a really cool trad doom band, for more traditional heavy metal I think Eternal Champion, Visigoth, and particularly Doomsword are worth a look, and for power metal you could probably just google some bands there (I'm not a big fan of of power metal, but if you can stand the cheese it's usually pretty unobjectionable). Sinbreed, Sabaton, Kamelot, Orden Ogan are a few I can think of off-hand.
                  Last edited by Zymologist; 03-12-2018, 11:04 AM.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture.

Because. Cannons and bells and general coolness.
                    I'm kinda fond of Tchaikovsky's Opus 35 in D Minor. Oops, I thought you meant ...
                    When I Survey....

Comment

I found this recent study, examining the effects of death metal on listeners; both fans and non-fans. The results are fascinating, and indicate that the music will generally elicit two polar opposite responses. Here's the abstract:

Source: Thompson, Geeves, and Olsen "Who Enjoys Violent Music and Why?"

Negative emotions are usually avoided in daily life, yet often appreciated in artistic endeavours. The present study investigated emotional experiences induced by Death Metal music with extremely violent themes, and examined whether enjoyment of this genre of music is associated with personality traits. Fans (N=48) and non-fans (N=97) listened to 60-second excerpts of Death Metal music and rated their emotional experiences. Compared with non-fans, fans experienced a wide range of positive emotions including power, joy, peace, and wonder. In contrast, non-fans reported uniformly negative experiences, including tension, anger and fear. Fans and non-fans were also distinguished by personality traits, with fans lower in conscientiousness and agreeableness, and in their motivations for listening to music. Results suggest that individuals with certain personality and music-listening motivations are drawn towards aggressive music with violent themes, and their enthusiasm for this genre promotes a range of positive emotional responses to this music.

Who enjoys listening to violent music and why? (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._music_and_why [accessed Mar 08 2018].

© Copyright Original Source

This rings true in my personal experience. Death metal is simultaneously an acquired taste (I took a while to get to where I'm at today), and also a style of music that most people simply won't "get," no matter how much they listen to it (although they might gain appreciation for certain elements). A song that I can find exciting, interesting, intricate etc. could repulse and disgust somebody else. I've been sharing a lot of music with a friend of mine lately, and he's been a remarkably good sport about it. He's what the study--and I--would classify as a non-fan of death metal: he finds it jarring and unpleasant, if not outright scary and/or repulsive. Although he's gained an appreciation for it that he didn't have before, he's probably one of those people who just won't really "get it," due to his personality. Kudos to him for giving it a shot, though.
                      Interesting. I listen to some similar stuff. Demon Hunter is my favorite at the moment.
                      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

In contrast, non-fans reported uniformly negative experiences, including tension, anger and fear.
                        Whenever I hear death metal, I experience tension due to guitars that somehow managed to overdrive and distort the sound of static, drums that sound like a random bunch of clanging, and vocals that .... sound like they are in a lot of tension.

I experience anger upon realizing that a drummer, guitar player, bass player, vocalist/singer shrieker, a producer, a record label, and the thousands of fans actually label that kind of noise as "music."

I also experience fear when I see that this music is still becoming more popular while the glory days of rock music (brought to you by the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, Clapton, Aerosmith, and other real musicians) continue to fade into the background.

It continues to baffle me why some many people enjoy the sound of agony.

Comment