Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Embarrassed' to accept Darwinism ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Embarrassed' to accept Darwinism ...

Of course, I've known about such things for years. Here is a recent article that once again exposes their underhanded, Gestapo-like tactics. Comments in green are mine.

The Campaign to Embarrass Christians into Accepting Darwinism

It’s not often that Christians join forces with atheists, I disagree - this happens very often in today's post-modern society but in recent decades certain elite members of both groups have formed a loose coalition known as the Darwin lobby. Their common ground is joint alarm over the low numbers of religious Americans who accept evolution. In response, they’ve embarked on an aggressive campaign to convince Christians to accept neo-Darwinism.

Atheist Darwin lobbyists wage the campaign trusting that increased public acceptance of evolution will corrode religion’s influence on society. Religious members of this alliance believe they are saving religion from embarrassing brethren who ignorantly reject the “consensus.” Ultimately, these theistic evolutionists hope their campaign will make faith more intellectually attractive to a skeptical world. In fact, these TEs are embarrassing themselves and selling out their faith. But most of them are too dumb to realize this. The others that do fully realize what they are doing are the proverbial 'wolves in sheep's clothing'.

Though couched as cultural analysis and buried under piles of recent historical references, the subtext of Randall J. Stephens and Karl W. Giberson’s 2011 book The Anointed: Evangelical Truth in a Secular Age aims to make a case for the Darwin lobby’s campaign.

ONE LONG AD HOMINEM ARGUMENT Ah yes, ad hominem -- one of the favorite tactics of these rabid, agenda-driven 'wolves'.

According to this Harvard University Press book, “almost two-thirds” of evangelicals are “at war with science” because they reject Darwinian evolution. How many times do we hear that argument? If you don't accept Evolution then you are "ignorant" or "at war with with science" or just plain "stupid". Evangelicalism purportedly has a “tortured relationship with modern science,” where its scholars are “amateur” and “out of touch with their putative fields.” In the view of Stephens and Giberson, evangelicals are “unable to distinguish between meaningful scholarship and…‘gibberish,’” and are stuck in “intellectual isolation.” In a New York Times op-ed, they likewise lament the “simplistic theology, cultural isolationism and stubborn anti-intellectualism” that they claim characterizes evangelical Christians. ad hominem unleashed!!!

This embarrassing state of affairs cannot be tolerated by Christian scholars such as Stephens and Giberson, who seek favor with mainstream academia. Their solution is to embarrass evangelicals further by cherry picking examples that reinforce the worst cultural stereotypes of Christians. (Ironically, they protest supposed ad hominem attacks against theistic evolutionists.) Their strategy extends not just to evolution, but also to American history, bioethics, and family counseling. They hope readers will be embarrassed into capitulating to the “consensus,” presumably just like they were. Yup --- they capitulated and now work for the Enemy and they're trying hard to get you to do the same.

FALSE CHOICES AND ERRORS OF OMISSION

Though Giberson is not a biologist, and Stephens not a scientist, The Anointed relies heavily on credentialism. Ah yes, Credentialism. I've spoken of that here on TWeb in years long past. Hey, "you don't have a PhD in biological sciences ergo you're too ignorant to understand Evolution ad that's why you oppose it". The book opens quoting Don McLeroy, a dentist who chaired the Texas State Board of Education during its 2009 hearings on evolution education, stating, “I disagree with these experts.” In their pejorative style they write, “The self-assured McLeroy” ignored the “several scientists” who testified in favor of evolution, and instead “invoked ‘other’ authorities” who “pointed to Earth’s being 6,000 to 10,000 years old, just as the Bible taught.” Having sat through the Texas evolution hearings, I can self-assuredly say the authors are revising history to suit their narrative. Has anyone besides myself noticed that these people use exactly the same tactics as the Gestapo, KGB, Orwellian-types, and "liberal collectivists"?

It’s true that McLeroy is a young-earth creationist, and he did say those words. But context is critical. McLeroy made it unmistakably clear during the hearings that he opposed teaching creationism in public schools. Moreover, the authorities he endorsed were well-credentialed scientists and scholars who were not young-earth creationists. Let's not let the facts get in the way of The Agenda, okay?

The hearings invited six experts to testify: three endorsed teaching evolution dogmatically and three encouraged teaching the “strengths and weaknesses.” The latter group included Ralph Seelke, now department chair and professor of microbial genetics at the University of Wisconsin-Superior, Baylor University biochemistry professor Charles Garner, and Stephen Meyer, a Ph.D. in philosophy of science from Cambridge University. They testified extensively about scientific challenges to evolution and presented more than one hundred mainstream scientific papers challenging key aspects of biological and chemical evolution. One hundred mainstream scientific papers? Okay. Scientific papers that challenge key aspects of biological and chemical Evolution? NOT OKAY - burn the heretics!!! If it goes against the Mother Religion then it cannot and will not be allowed in classrooms or any place where that Mother Religion is preached -period!

Somehow "Somehow"? There's no "somehow" about it. It's the same old dishonest tactics used time and time again. Just like in filthy corrupt politics, the ends justify the means. these facts were excluded from The Anointed, which instead paints McLeroy as an ignorant, unqualified, crusading fundamentalist who scoffs at credible scientists. These omissions are important for two reasons…

Here's the link to the full article ...
    http://www.thepoachedegg.net/the-poa...winism.html?er

Enjoy!

Jorge

Originally posted by Jorge the welcher View Post
    Of course, I've known about such things for years. Here is a recent article ... http://www.thepoachedegg.net/the-poa...winism.html?er
    The URL alone is enough to demonstrate that it isn't a recent article, and all is saying is that he's known for years about something that has been available for years - which is even more pointless than the rest of his drool.

YEC credibility score: 0
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

A couple quick (hopefully) notes
      • Whenever you see the Theory of Evolution called "Darwinian Evolution," nine out of ten times you can bet your bottom dollar you're about to read one-sided, often wildly inaccurate, propaganda.
      • Your blatant hypocrisy about "Christians join forces with atheists" knows no bounds considering how you joyfully hop into bed with Richard Dawkins over how we should understand Scripture while squawking about Christians agreeing with an atheist on a scientific issue.
      • "According to this Harvard University Press book, “almost two-thirds” of evangelicals are “at war with science” because they reject Darwinian evolution." ... It should be noted that the Barna Group, an evangelical Christian polling firm, conducted a five year study which revealed that evolution deniers have a major role in driving young people away from Christianity.

In 2011 the Barna Research Group (an evangelical Christian polling firm based in Virginia) released the results of a five year study that found that a primary reason that a large number of teens and young adults in the U.S. abandon Christianity is because of a perceived antagonism toward science. And the one group most hostile toward science are the YECs.

They published the conclusions drawn from the study in a book called You Lost Me: Why Young Christians are Leaving Church and Rethinking Church and listed hostility toward science as reason number three. They found that nearly three out of ten young adults with a Christian background feel that “churches are out of step with the scientific world we live in” (29%) with a full quarter (25%) stating out-right that "Christianity is anti-science."

And what is the example cited most frequently to support this feeling? Creationism's attacks against evolutionary theory. On in four (25%) specifically declared that they have "been turned off by the creation-versus-evolution debate."

The undeniable fact is that some YECs are largely responsible for driving younger Christians away from their faith.
      • For you to be bringing up "credentialism" is incredibly ironic considering how you went out and bought a PhD to give yourself some gratis. A quick look at the articles on YEC websites reveals that YECs always tout any degrees they have even if they have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject being discussed.

Finally, if, for example, I'm suffering from heart problems I'm going to trust the opinions of cardiologists far more than I would the opinion of the mechanic that works on my car. That isn't "credentialism." It's common sense.
      • The memorable quote by Don McLeroy when he headed the Texas School Board Chairman isn't “I disagree with these experts” but rather the much more arrogant and humorous “Someone has to stand up to the experts." Oh, the hubris.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Whenever you see the Theory of Evolution called "Darwinian Evolution," nine out of ten times you can bet your bottom dollar you're about to read one-sided, often wildly inaccurate, propaganda.
        A simpler diagnostic of that in this case is the author being Casey Luskin.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

[*]For you to be bringing up "credentialism" is incredibly ironic considering how you went out and bought a PhD to give yourself some gratis.
          Also, Luskin complains about credentialism only to two paragraphs later trot out the credentials of Seelke, Meyer and Garner.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

All this time I thought Jorge was the leader of the movement to embarrass Christians away from wild YEC beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
              A simpler diagnostic of that in this case is the author being Casey Luskin.
              Enter ad hominem. Your kind is sooooo predictable, Lurchie Boy.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                Of course, I've known about such things for years. Here is a recent article that once again exposes their underhanded, Gestapo-like tactics. Comments in green are mine.

The Campaign to Embarrass Christians into Accepting Darwinism

It’s not often that Christians join forces with atheists, I disagree - this happens very often in today's post-modern society but in recent decades certain elite members of both groups have formed a loose coalition known as the Darwin lobby. Their common ground is joint alarm over the low numbers of religious Americans who accept evolution. In response, they’ve embarked on an aggressive campaign to convince Christians to accept neo-Darwinism.

Atheist Darwin lobbyists wage the campaign trusting that increased public acceptance of evolution will corrode religion’s influence on society. Religious members of this alliance believe they are saving religion from embarrassing brethren who ignorantly reject the “consensus.” Ultimately, these theistic evolutionists hope their campaign will make faith more intellectually attractive to a skeptical world. In fact, these TEs are embarrassing themselves and selling out their faith. But most of them are too dumb to realize this. The others that do fully realize what they are doing are the proverbial 'wolves in sheep's clothing'.

Though couched as cultural analysis and buried under piles of recent historical references, the subtext of Randall J. Stephens and Karl W. Giberson’s 2011 book The Anointed: Evangelical Truth in a Secular Age aims to make a case for the Darwin lobby’s campaign.

ONE LONG AD HOMINEM ARGUMENT Ah yes, ad hominem -- one of the favorite tactics of these rabid, agenda-driven 'wolves'.

According to this Harvard University Press book, “almost two-thirds” of evangelicals are “at war with science” because they reject Darwinian evolution. How many times do we hear that argument? If you don't accept Evolution then you are "ignorant" or "at war with with science" or just plain "stupid". Evangelicalism purportedly has a “tortured relationship with modern science,” where its scholars are “amateur” and “out of touch with their putative fields.” In the view of Stephens and Giberson, evangelicals are “unable to distinguish between meaningful scholarship and…‘gibberish,’” and are stuck in “intellectual isolation.” In a New York Times op-ed, they likewise lament the “simplistic theology, cultural isolationism and stubborn anti-intellectualism” that they claim characterizes evangelical Christians. ad hominem unleashed!!!

This embarrassing state of affairs cannot be tolerated by Christian scholars such as Stephens and Giberson, who seek favor with mainstream academia. Their solution is to embarrass evangelicals further by cherry picking examples that reinforce the worst cultural stereotypes of Christians. (Ironically, they protest supposed ad hominem attacks against theistic evolutionists.) Their strategy extends not just to evolution, but also to American history, bioethics, and family counseling. They hope readers will be embarrassed into capitulating to the “consensus,” presumably just like they were. Yup --- they capitulated and now work for the Enemy and they're trying hard to get you to do the same.

FALSE CHOICES AND ERRORS OF OMISSION

Though Giberson is not a biologist, and Stephens not a scientist, The Anointed relies heavily on credentialism. Ah yes, Credentialism. I've spoken of that here on TWeb in years long past. Hey, "you don't have a PhD in biological sciences ergo you're too ignorant to understand Evolution ad that's why you oppose it". The book opens quoting Don McLeroy, a dentist who chaired the Texas State Board of Education during its 2009 hearings on evolution education, stating, “I disagree with these experts.” In their pejorative style they write, “The self-assured McLeroy” ignored the “several scientists” who testified in favor of evolution, and instead “invoked ‘other’ authorities” who “pointed to Earth’s being 6,000 to 10,000 years old, just as the Bible taught.” Having sat through the Texas evolution hearings, I can self-assuredly say the authors are revising history to suit their narrative. Has anyone besides myself noticed that these people use exactly the same tactics as the Gestapo, KGB, Orwellian-types, and "liberal collectivists"?

It’s true that McLeroy is a young-earth creationist, and he did say those words. But context is critical. McLeroy made it unmistakably clear during the hearings that he opposed teaching creationism in public schools. Moreover, the authorities he endorsed were well-credentialed scientists and scholars who were not young-earth creationists. Let's not let the facts get in the way of The Agenda, okay?

The hearings invited six experts to testify: three endorsed teaching evolution dogmatically and three encouraged teaching the “strengths and weaknesses.” The latter group included Ralph Seelke, now department chair and professor of microbial genetics at the University of Wisconsin-Superior, Baylor University biochemistry professor Charles Garner, and Stephen Meyer, a Ph.D. in philosophy of science from Cambridge University. They testified extensively about scientific challenges to evolution and presented more than one hundred mainstream scientific papers challenging key aspects of biological and chemical evolution. One hundred mainstream scientific papers? Okay. Scientific papers that challenge key aspects of biological and chemical Evolution? NOT OKAY - burn the heretics!!! If it goes against the Mother Religion then it cannot and will not be allowed in classrooms or any place where that Mother Religion is preached -period!

Somehow "Somehow"? There's no "somehow" about it. It's the same old dishonest tactics used time and time again. Just like in filthy corrupt politics, the ends justify the means. these facts were excluded from The Anointed, which instead paints McLeroy as an ignorant, unqualified, crusading fundamentalist who scoffs at credible scientists. These omissions are important for two reasons…

Here's the link to the full article ...
                http://www.thepoachedegg.net/the-poa...winism.html?er

Enjoy!

Jorge
                As expected, nothing in the replies except ad hominem, mud-slinging and rabid nonsense.

Let me go collect my earnings on this bet. Hehehe

Jorge

Comment

Enter ad hominem. Your kind is sooooo predictable, Lurchie Boy.
                  Jorge, in another thread:
                  It's simply in your nature to be less-than-forthright.
                  "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

As expected, nothing in the replies except ad hominem, mud-slinging and rabid nonsense.

Let me go collect my earnings on this bet. Hehehe

Jorge
                    You are probably the last person who should be talking about collecting on a bet considering your sordid history of being a welcher

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                      Jorge, in another thread:
                      Burn.

You are probably the last person who should be talking about collecting on a bet considering your sordid history of being a welcher
                      Scorch.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Also, Luskin complains about credentialism only to two paragraphs later trot out the credentials of Seelke, Meyer and Garner.
                        You expected consistency from that crowd?

Comment

You expected consistency from that crowd?
                          no

Comment