Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Robots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robots

Two thirds of Americans believe robots will soon perform most of the work done by humans while 80% believe their jobs will be unaffected.

So, what’s the plan? How do we earn a living in the robot age? Do the masses of unemployed go to war against the robots and bomb the corporations who make them?

“Australian company Fastbrick Robotics has developed a robot, the Hadrian X, that can lay 1,000 standard bricks in one hour – a task that would take two human bricklayers the better part of a day or longer to complete.”

“In a recent report, the World Economic Forum predicted that robotic automation will result in the net loss of more than 5m jobs across 15 developed nations by 2020, a conservative estimate.”

- The Guardian Jan 2017

As companies automate jobs their profits will rise so long as there are people able to buy the products they make. As purchasing power reduces are we going to see enclaves where the super rich reside on prime real estate, completely self contained and away from the mass populations who are forced to fend for themselves in the poorest and least productive parts of the country. The rich will take the coasts and the farmland where the robots work and leave the deserts to the rest – they are given Free State status where no taxes are collected and no welfare is provided.

The supers occasionally amuse themselves by going on hunting trips in the Free State to help keep down the risk of disease spreading to the US.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

First thing I thought of.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

It's called "raise the minimum wage".
      When I Survey....

Comment

The most common solution being discussed is a UBI. While that seems politically impossible in the US, I imagine things might change if unemployment were to ramp out of control.

I'm quite pessimistic about how this will play out for society. I'm a professional driver and for that reason alone I support banning self driving vehicles.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'll be one of the tech lords with my own army of robots, I dunno about the rest of you.

I recommend getting on my good side now while it counts.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            I'll be one of the tech lords with my own army of robots, I dunno about the rest of you.

Such an edgelord.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

Metal Blade best weapon.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post

Loading up on a bunch of Rock'em Sock'em Robots probably doesn't count

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I'm a professional driver and for that reason alone I support banning self driving vehicles.
                  I had considered that, but then I wonder, can you really ban something that makes a business more efficient and profitable? And where do we go after that? Start banning all automation and return to the days when everything was assembled by hand? Is that really practical, or even desirable?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    The most common solution being discussed is a UBI. While that seems politically impossible in the US, I imagine things might change if unemployment were to ramp out of control.

I'm quite pessimistic about how this will play out for society. I'm a professional driver and for that reason alone I support banning self driving vehicles.
                    Yes, Universal Basic Income (up and working in Finland). Paid for by a robot tax? The working class in the US have to appreciate the fact that they have the numbers but they are not coordinated because the 1% have all the levers of power and control public opinion and define what’s wrong. They are not going to give it away – the workers will have to ‘revolt’ and take political power.

Trump is a symptom of the complaint but he is not the solution. The US has to take a political swing to the left.

Criticism here:
                    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-welfare-state
                    Last edited by firstfloor; 03-11-2018, 05:12 AM.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

"Super fighting robot, Mega Man!"

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        Yes, Universal Basic Income (up and working in Finland). Paid for by a robot tax? The working class in the US have to appreciate the fact that they have the numbers but they are not coordinated because the 1% have all the levers of power and control public opinion and define what’s wrong. They are not going to give it away – the workers will have to ‘revolt’ and take political power.

Trump is a symptom of the complaint but he is not the solution. The US has to take a political swing to the left.

Criticism here:
                        https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-welfare-state
                        How eerily similiar this sounds. It sounds like the communist manifesto.
                        sigpic

Comment

People have been complaining about automation taking their jobs since the industrial revolution, yet we still find new jobs for people. Computers were going to take away jobs, yet now almost every job involves people USING computers instead of being replaced by them. Jobs will change but there will always be jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            People have been complaining about automation taking their jobs since the industrial revolution, yet we still find new jobs for people. Computers were going to take away jobs, yet now almost every job involves people USING computers instead of being replaced by them. Jobs will change but there will always be jobs.
                            This analysis is too simplistic. The point of automation is to reduce the total number of jobs. You may have one computer operator to make up for six jobs lost elsewhere.

Comment

yeah the idiotic comparisons with the industrial revolution are getting tiresome. we already have significant % of the population doing subsidized BS jobs. Eventually the dam is gonna break.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment