Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

College librarians argue Christians who say 'God bless you' are Islamophobic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    A muslim could say, "Thank your for your wish of a Merry Christmas, but I am Muslim and do not celebrate Christmas!" and I would say, "Oh, sorry for the mistake, Have a happy Ramadan!" and we would both have tolerated one another and lived happily ever after in a world of joy and peace, without fake liberal offenses. the end.
    I would respond, "Well, have a Merry Christmas anyway."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I would respond, "Well, have a Merry Christmas anyway."
      At that point you probably would be crossing over into rudeness. If you are using "Merry Christmas" as a sarcastic dig because you know they are not Christian, then it would be wrong. But the liberals thinking that it is offensive when you don't even know if they are not Christian, that is just moronic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        At that point you probably would be crossing over into rudeness. If you are using "Merry Christmas" as a sarcastic dig...
        I would mean it sincerely.

Comment

Regarding "Merry Christmas," how about this: since it's a widely recognized holiday, can it be considered a mere greeting, whether one is religious or not, or celebrates it or not?
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Regarding "Merry Christmas," how about this: since it's a widely recognized holiday, can it be considered a mere greeting, whether one is religious or not, or celebrates it or not?
            Yes, except to those looking to be offended.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I’m not religious.

During the month of December I often say ‘happy christmas’. Many of the people I work with aren’t Christian- in fact, many of them aren’t white, though they were born here (there’s a large Sikh and Hindu population where I work). None of them seem to mind or care. There are more important things to worry about I guess- though it may also be the culture they grew up with.

Comment

Would a microaggression be like my bearded coloured friends being ‘randomly checked’ at airports? I imagine that would be a situation Psychic Missile describes. It’s a pain in the heiney to go through customs with them- takes ages.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                  Would a microaggression be like my bearded coloured friends being ‘randomly checked’ at airports? I imagine that would be a situation Psychic Missile describes. It’s a pain in the heiney to go through customs with them- takes ages.
                  Probably not. From what I've seen described as a microaggression, they tend to be something entirely unintended and/or unconscious 'bias'. What you're describing would be deliberate.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm not sure, the examples I tend to see from such articles are such things like "you're very articulate for a black person" or something similar that's quite obviously rude.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I'm not sure, the examples I tend to see from such articles are such things like "you're very articulate for a black person" or something similar that's quite obviously rude.
                      That's not microaggression, that's ignorance.

"Microaggression", like "privilege", is a term used by liberals to describe wholly innocent and innocuous behavior as they seek to control the language and paralyze society with a constant dread of accidently offending someone. For instance, by wishing someone a Merry Christmas, or saying, "God bless you," when they sneeze.

Comment

That's certainly an insensitive statement, though given the general state of black culture here one could be forgiven for thinking it (one could say much the same about redneck culture, fwiw).
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          That's certainly an insensitive statement, though given the general state of black culture here one could be forgiven for thinking it (one could say much the same about redneck culture, fwiw).
                          Heck, Jeff Foxworthy made an entire career out of insulting poor white people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Heck, Jeff Foxworthy made an entire career out of insulting poor white people.
                            Well, yeah, cause he kept a target on his own back.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              Pretty much it has become a secular holiday because even non-Christians celebrate it. They replace Jesus with Santa Claus and Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman.

I guess it is only a microaggression if a Christian says "Merry Christmas."

Comment

I would agree that would be rude. It is what is called "a left-handed compliment" - but again, that is deliberate. The guide in the OP is about accidental slights (or what THEY think are slights) - mostly made up offenses. Saying "Merry Christmas" to someone you see or meet is not offensive.

Comment