Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

College librarians argue Christians who say 'God bless you' are Islamophobic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    I don't know why you're talking about speaking in a different language. That has nothing to do with this topic. I think "God bless you" is probably one of the weakest examples of a microaggression, so I have no reason to argue in favor of its inclusion in the list in the OP. I was just explaining to you the rationale behind it.
    The rationale is that all other races, genders and religions are extremely fragile and that the mighty White Christian Male can accidentally shatter their psyche with even the slightest of gestures.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      The rationale is that all other races, genders and religions are extremely fragile and that the mighty White Christian Male can accidentally shatter their psyche with even the slightest of gestures.
      Gesundheit!

Comment

I don't know why you're talking about speaking in a different language. That has nothing to do with this topic. I think "God bless you" is probably one of the weakest examples of a microaggression, so I have no reason to argue in favor of its inclusion in the list in the OP. I was just explaining to you the rationale behind it.
        Bless your heart, Psychic Missile.

When you visit or live among different cultures around the world you will quickly notice that each place has it's own biased view of the world and will assume you share it, or not give a crap if you don't. If you are in a muslim country you will be greeted in traditionally muslim greetings, which include blessings from Allah. If you are in India, you will be in a Hindu culture that will address you in traditional Hindu ways, probably including blessings from various Hindu Gods. In China, it's Buddhism, and you will probably be greeted with bows instead of handshakes.

If you are in America, you will probably hear traditional Christian greetings or sayings, like "God Bless you" and people will want to shake your hand instead of bowing to you. It is not a micro-aggression. It is not "privilege" it is simply Americans expressing their own culture.

In fact, don't liberals respect other cultures and even get angry if someone "appropriates" another person's culture?

Comment

"Mighty White Christian Male" would be a great name for a band.

It would fit right in with the title of Stryper's latest album...

strypergoddamnevilcd.jpg
          Last edited by DesertBerean; 03-15-2018, 01:13 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In my experience straight white male Christians are the most fragile group of all. The article in the OP and people's reaction to it is a good example.

Comment

In my experience straight white male Christians are the most fragile group of all. The article in the OP and people's reaction to it is a good example.
              So in your mind it is just fine to attack an entire group of people with made-up injustices and if they complain, why they not only deserve it, but it means that they are weak and fragile, so they deserve it even more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Bless your heart, Psychic Missile.

When you visit or live among different cultures around the world you will quickly notice that each place has it's own biased view of the world and will assume you share it, or not give a crap if you don't. If you are in a muslim country you will be greeted in traditionally muslim greetings, which include blessings from Allah. If you are in India, you will be in a Hindu culture that will address you in traditional Hindu ways, probably including blessings from various Hindu Gods. In China, it's Buddhism, and you will probably be greeted with bows instead of handshakes.

If you are in America, you will probably hear traditional Christian greetings or sayings, like "God Bless you" and people will want to shake your hand instead of bowing to you. It is not a micro-aggression. It is not "privilege" it is simply Americans expressing their own culture.

In fact, don't liberals respect other cultures and even get angry if someone "appropriates" another person's culture?
                It doesn't make sense for you to be against the idea of microaggressions if don't understand what they are. Speaking a different language or a custom like bowing aren't microaggressions. Stereotyping someone or showing preference for someone of your group in a neutral context are microaggressions. They aren't things that people normally take huge offense to. They are minor announces that happen regularly to minorities that people part of the majority group (group in power) don't have to deal with.

So in your mind it is just fine to attack an entire group of people with made-up injustices and if they complain, why they not only deserve it, but it means that they are weak and fragile, so they deserve it even more!
                I'm not the strawman you concocted in your imagination, so no.

Comment

It doesn't make sense for you to be against the idea of microaggressions if don't understand what they are. Speaking a different language or a custom like bowing aren't microaggressions. Stereotyping someone or showing preference for someone of your group in a neutral context are microaggressions. They aren't things that people normally take huge offense to. They are minor announces that happen regularly to minorities that people part of the majority group (group in power) don't have to deal with.

I'm not the strawman you concocted in your imagination, so no.
                  They are claiming that White Americans are saying things like "God Bless You" to people who may not be of their culture. They are claiming that is a microaggression. My examples showed the same in reverse. If you were in a muslim country, they would assume their culture and address you in the manner of their culture. It would not be a microaggression there either, and I think you recognize that fact. The problem is that you cannot connect the two because it would cause cognitive dissonance in your head and you might explode in a puff of illogic.

Comment

I'm uncertain how offended I should be at this. Help, anyone?
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      I'm uncertain how offended I should be at this. Help, anyone?
                      well let's see:

1. Liberals are whining about WMCs' offending them accidentally without even knowing it.
                      2. When WMC's complain about how they are offended at being blamed for stuff they didn't do, they are told they are whiny and should take it.

So it's only bad when liberals are offended. When conservatives are offended that is OK because they deserve to be offended.

Comment

You are such a micro-agressor! Shame on you!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So it's only bad when liberals are offended. When conservatives are offended that is OK because they deserve to be offended.
                          I worked with someone who pretty much said that back when Clinton was president.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I worked with someone who pretty much said that back when Clinton was president.
                            And...??? Do you want to draw a general conclusion based on that particular example?
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

The hypocrisy is strong with this one.

Comment

Liberal 1: "I'm offended!"
                                Liberal 2: "Then I will fight for your right not to be offended, and I will keep fighting until we achieve social justice!"

White Christen Male: "I'm offended!"
                                Liberal: "LOL stop whining."

Comment