Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

College librarians argue Christians who say 'God bless you' are Islamophobic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College librarians argue Christians who say 'God bless you' are Islamophobic

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/05/college-librarians-argue-christians-who-say-god-bless-are-islamophobic.html

If you’ve ever wished someone a “Merry Christmas” or said “God bless you” when someone sneezes, you’ve committed an act of “Islamomisic microaggressions,” according to college librarians at a Massachusetts college.

The Anti-Oppression Library Guide at Simmons College in Boston is a collaborative effort among the school’s librarians, reported CampusReform.org.

“Islamomisic Microaggressions are commonplace verbal or behavioral indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, which communicates hostile, derogatory, or negative slights in relation to the beliefs and religious practices of Muslims,” the librarians argue. “They are structurally based and invoke oppressive systems of religious/Christian hierarchy.”

The librarians argue Christians are especially guilty of Islamomisic microaggressions for using phrases like “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Easter,” and “God bless you.”

Some other microaggressions aimed at Muslims include “endorsing religious stereotypes,” such as viewing hijabs as fashionable, suggesting Muslims practice the “wrong” religion, and having “the assumption of one’s own religious identity as the norm.”

The controversial resource argues “people who follow Christianity have institutionalized power,” or “Christian privilege,” which is demonstrated when they “expect to have time off work to celebrate religious holidays” or worship without fear of violence or threats.

© Copyright Original Source

Christian Privilege is now a thing.

If you define "privilege" as "an expectation to worship without fear of violence or threats," sure. The examples read like they're from the Babylon Bee.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It's pretty much gotten to the point where I've become macro-aggressive. Screw this "micro" nonsense, if you want to be offended then I'm going to give it to you in the face with both barrels.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So, Christians can't ever be offended? Oh, but we don't have to be offended or take revenge. Someone Else will. Someday...
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

How is "God bless you" Islamaphobic? Do they think Muslims don't believe in God?

Even if you wish an Atheist "God bless you" how is that an aggression? Wishing a blessing upon someone is not an aggression. If a Hindu said, "Krishna bless you" to me, I would not be offended. They were trying to be nice. Like saying "Have a good day"

Comment

What if I just say "bless you?"

Got to be 'phobic of something, I'm just not sure what.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              How is "God bless you" Islamaphobic? Do they think Muslims don't believe in God?

Even if you wish an Atheist "God bless you" how is that an aggression? Wishing a blessing upon someone is not an aggression. If a Hindu said, "Krishna bless you" to me, I would not be offended. They were trying to be nice. Like saying "Have a good day"
              If you look at the original source the article is talking about, you'll see that "God bless you" is an example of an "assumption of one's own religious identity as the norm". This list and example is taken from an article in the Journal of Muslim Mental Health, which takes it from another article called "Religious microaggressions in the United States: Mental health implications for religious minority groups" where it is used as a generic list of religious microaggressions rather than a list of specifically Islamophobic microaggressions. In that list, both in the JoMMH article and the librarian article, "God bless you" is an example of a microaggression where the assumption is that everyone believes in God. So as far as the original authors are concerned, it is not an Islamophobic microaggression. The library website just copied the list without editing it.

Many microaggressions involve offense through stereotyping or belittlement, but others are a reinforcement of the idea of a group being dominant and normal. Two otherwise similar people can have very different experiences if one is a part of the dominant group that the group assumes everyone else to be a part of and the other is a part of a minority group that is always made to feel marginalized.

Also, you shouldn't support articles like this. This is a non-story, and the purpose of the article is to attract clicks and get people angry. Don't contribute to outrage culture.

Comment

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/05/college-librarians-argue-christians-who-say-god-bless-are-islamophobic.html

If you’ve ever wished someone a “Merry Christmas” or said “God bless you” when someone sneezes, you’ve committed an act of “Islamomisic microaggressions,” according to college librarians at a Massachusetts college.

The Anti-Oppression Library Guide at Simmons College in Boston is a collaborative effort among the school’s librarians, reported CampusReform.org.

“Islamomisic Microaggressions are commonplace verbal or behavioral indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, which communicates hostile, derogatory, or negative slights in relation to the beliefs and religious practices of Muslims,” the librarians argue. “They are structurally based and invoke oppressive systems of religious/Christian hierarchy.”

The librarians argue Christians are especially guilty of Islamomisic microaggressions for using phrases like “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Easter,” and “God bless you.”

Some other microaggressions aimed at Muslims include “endorsing religious stereotypes,” such as viewing hijabs as fashionable, suggesting Muslims practice the “wrong” religion, and having “the assumption of one’s own religious identity as the norm.”

The controversial resource argues “people who follow Christianity have institutionalized power,” or “Christian privilege,” which is demonstrated when they “expect to have time off work to celebrate religious holidays” or worship without fear of violence or threats.

Do these idiots think that Muslims are atheists and don't believe in God and would be offended?

Are these morons unaware of the fact that Muslims believe they worship the same God as do Christians?

Do these halfwits tie their own shoes or do they need someone to do that for them?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  If you look at the original source the article is talking about, you'll see that "God bless you" is an example of an "assumption of one's own religious identity as the norm". This list and example is taken from an article in the Journal of Muslim Mental Health, which takes it from another article called "Religious microaggressions in the United States: Mental health implications for religious minority groups" where it is used as a generic list of religious microaggressions rather than a list of specifically Islamophobic microaggressions. In that list, both in the JoMMH article and the librarian article, "God bless you" is an example of a microaggression where the assumption is that everyone believes in God. So as far as the original authors are concerned, it is not an Islamophobic microaggression. The library website just copied the list without editing it.

Many microaggressions involve offense through stereotyping or belittlement, but others are a reinforcement of the idea of a group being dominant and normal. Two otherwise similar people can have very different experiences if one is a part of the dominant group that the group assumes everyone else to be a part of and the other is a part of a minority group that is always made to feel marginalized.

Also, you shouldn't support articles like this. This is a non-story, and the purpose of the article is to attract clicks and get people angry. Don't contribute to outrage culture.
                  um, How is saying "God bless you" anything other than a polite response to someone who sneezes? And as far as I can recall, Muslims believe in God, as do Jews. And so what if someone assumes their religion as the norm? I am sure muslims do too. And Jews. Who cares? It doesn't offend me if a Jew says, "Shalom" when they greet me, or if a Muslim says, "As-salamu alaykum?"

When I travel overseas, guess what? The people in that country assume they are the norm and will usually greet me in their own phrases and language. When I go to Germany they say, "Guten Tag!" - oh no, they ASSUMED I was German!!! It is a micro-aggression! Call out the PC Police!!

The whole "don't do anything that someone can construe as offensive" is offensive in itself. In fact, that you are trying to defend such behavior is reprehensible and I find it highly offensive. I demand you apologize to me at once.

Comment

Psychic Missile? More like Psychic Snowflake.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      It's pretty much gotten to the point where I've become macro-aggressive. Screw this "micro" nonsense, if you want to be offended then I'm going to give it to you in the face with both barrels.
                      You are walking macro-aggression!
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Micro-aggressions lead to the micro-dark side.

Or something...I'm pretty sure that's how the quote went, right?
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          Micro-aggressions lead to the micro-dark side.

Or something...I'm pretty sure that's how the quote went, right?

Comment

God Bless you.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

um, How is saying "God bless you" anything other than a polite response to someone who sneezes? And as far as I can recall, Muslims believe in God, as do Jews. And so what if someone assumes their religion as the norm? I am sure muslims do too. And Jews. Who cares? It doesn't offend me if a Jew says, "Shalom" when they greet me, or if a Muslim says, "As-salamu alaykum?"

When I travel overseas, guess what? The people in that country assume they are the norm and will usually greet me in their own phrases and language. When I go to Germany they say, "Guten Tag!" - oh no, they ASSUMED I was German!!! It is a micro-aggression! Call out the PC Police!!

The whole "don't do anything that someone can construe as offensive" is offensive in itself. In fact, that you are trying to defend such behavior is reprehensible and I find it highly offensive. I demand you apologize to me at once.
                              I don't know why you're talking about speaking in a different language. That has nothing to do with this topic. I think "God bless you" is probably one of the weakest examples of a microaggression, so I have no reason to argue in favor of its inclusion in the list in the OP. I was just explaining to you the rationale behind it.

Comment