Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Student kicked out for telling professor there are only two genders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    For those rejecting the report from being from Fox News, a more neutral report of the situation than the original post can be found here.

To me, the question isn't whether the student was right or wrong in his objections on things like biology of genders or wage gap, but whether the manner in which he expressed them was reasonable or not, as that was what got him kicked out. As I said earlier in the topic, most of the information being reported is from the student's personal account of what happened, meaning that our information principally comes from someone with a rather big self-interest in it. This doesn't mean they're wrong, but it does make me pause before immediately accepting everything he says. And apparently, the college is on spring break this week, making alternate accounts slower and less likely to emerge until classes be
    hence no one else being around to give any alternate accounts. Actually, I'm left wondering if the fact it broke during spring break, when any confirmations or denials of the student's account would be much harder to get, is a coincidence or not.

In the meantime, the only source about the conflict besides the student is the description of the alleged violation from the teacher, which makes claims of "disrespectful objection to the professor's class discussion structure," "refusal to stop talking out of turn" and "angry outbursts" do seem like, if true, are valid complaints. Although I will note that the requested sanction in that document seems inappropriate. A written apology to the professor is reasonable. Even the requirement that they address all the points is in the realm of plausibility. But "Lake will begin class with an apology to the class for his behavior and then listen in silence as the professor and/or any student who wishes to speak shares how he or she felt during Lake's disrespectful and disruptive outbursts"? It's not clear whether this was a request of the teacher or the provost, but it feels like it serves only as an attempt at shaming rather than serving a constructive purpose.

Nevertheless, the post the student made (and later deleted) shown in the article does contain this:
    So by his own admission, other professors have had issues with him. Is this because they were also being close-minded and disliking dissent (possible, they're university professors after all), or because the student was, irrespective of the quality of his arguments, being legitimately disruptive to the class? It's unclear.

I did look up the professor in question on the Rate My Professors site to see what previous students have said; you can find her page here. Notably, the reviews--all of them--are positive. Granted, if you read the comments, they're mostly praising the teacher being an easy grader, but at any rate no one left a negative review. In case you're wondering what's going on with the huge number of votes for each review being "not useful", I should point out that (thanks to Google's cache service letting me see the page as it appeared in February 25 for comparison), it appears that all of those votes occurred after this story broke.

That's really all the information I can find right now that could corroborate or contradict the student's claim as to what happened. Perhaps, once spring break ends, we'll be able to see statements from others, including classmates, that may be able to give us more insight as to exactly what his behavior was like. But at present, I don't think there's enough information available right now to us to make a real judgment on the topic of whether his behavior warranted kicking him out or not.

Though, there is one thing that bothers me, and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it before. The class in question was called "Self, Sin and Salvation". Now I tried looking at the university's website to see if a more detailed description of the course was available, but was unable to find any, so admittedly I am going solely off the title. But here's the question I have: What in the world do things like the alleged gender wage gap have to do with the apparent topic of the course?
    Those are all good points. We only do have the student's point of view. I wish other kids in the class would speak up so we can hear a more complete version. The student will try to make it all sound like he is the good guy and the professor is the bad guy. But if he is correct, then the professor would indeed be biased and would make the report seem like the student was the bad guy.

And also, yeah what is up with the topic? If it is a religion class about sin and salvation, why are they talking about genders and wages?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      The source doesn't matter, it's the same story, the students word against the professors, with a hearing on it scheduled for the 19th of March. I tend to believe the professor, you tend to believe the student, but how about you wait for some actual evidence as to who may be telling the truth before smearing the professor due to your persecution complex.
      You are the one who has made the judgment already. Not me.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        Just a suggestion, next time try to stick with what most liberals do, not what most right-wing propaganda outlets say most liberals do. Cause, ya know, they lie about the mainstream because if folks don't mistrust the mainstream, they're out of a job.
        Just a suggestion, next time try not to broad brush an entire class with an accusation of moral turpitude. If you have a specific accusation, fine. You're not looking a whole lot better than the post you're maligning, here.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          You are the one who has made the judgment already. Not me.
          No, that would be you Sparko, you've done so in this very thread more than once. Need it be pointed out to you?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Just a suggestion, next time try not to broad brush an entire class with an accusation of moral turpitude. If you have a specific accusation, fine. You're not looking a whole lot better than the post you're maligning, here.
            I'm comfortable maligning propagandists as liars by definition. I am similarly comfortable pointing out that there are no right wing outlets that are not primarily propaganda outlets. I've looked. They're very open about it.

Many have no reporting staff at all. For them, it's all editorial, all about the bias, with no accountability for counterfactuals.

That's true for too much of the left-wing as well, some of which is populated by parasites not just aggregating others' reporting, but stealing it by pasting over the originals with their own bylines.

But, on the left, there remain notable exceptions, like Rolling Stone and Democracy Now, that are better known for accurate, original reporting that the paper couldn't cover.

Comment

No, that would be you Sparko, you've done so in this very thread more than once. Need it be pointed out to you?
              Yes please.

Comment

I'm comfortable maligning propagandists as liars by definition. I am similarly comfortable pointing out that there are no right wing outlets that are not primarily propaganda outlets. I've looked. They're very open about it.

Many have no reporting staff at all. For them, it's all editorial, all about the bias, with no accountability for counterfactuals.

That's true for too much of the left-wing as well, some of which is populated by parasites not just aggregating others' reporting, but stealing it by pasting over the originals with their own bylines.

But, on the left, there remain notable exceptions, like Rolling Stone and Democracy Now, that are better known for accurate, original reporting that the paper couldn't cover.
                "Rolling Stone" and "accurate, original reporting" probably don't belong in the same sentence. Can you say "A Rape on Campus"?

The last time I thumbed through a copy I really saw little difference between them and Mother Jones.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thanks for the insight on your outlook. Rolling Stone?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yes please.
                    Post #31) You obviously don't know who is being truthful as to what went on in the classroom, yet you are accusing the Professor and defending the student.
                    Post #40) Again, you weren't there, yet you continue to accuse the professor and defend the student.
                    Post #42) You suggest that the "liberal Professor" has no tolerance for conservative views suggesting that to be the reason why the student was booted.
                    Post #47) You suggest that the Professor lied in the complaint document about what happened and why she booted the student.

Okay, you have no idea what went down, you have no idea if the student was being disruptive, you have no idea if the professor is lying in the complaint she filed, yet you are judging her to be guilty because that is how your brain has been fixed.

Comment

The fact that you name Rolling Stone and Democracy Now as exceptions to liberal propaganda and examples of "original, accurate reporting" destroys what little credibility your post might otherwise have had.

Unless you were being sarcastic?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Post #31) You obviously don't know who is being truthful as to what went on in the classroom, yet you are accusing the Professor and defending the student.
                        Post #40) Again, you weren't there, yet you continue to accuse the professor and defend the student.
                        Post #42) You suggest that the "liberal Professor" has no tolerance for conservative views suggesting that to be the reason why the student was booted.
                        Post #47) You suggest that the Professor lied in the complaint document about what happened and why she booted the student.

Okay, you have no idea what went down, you have no idea if the student was being disruptive, you have no idea if the professor is lying in the complaint she filed, yet you are judging her to be guilty because that is how your brain has been fixed.
                        Wow I am impressed Jim! You actually went back and looked it up. This is all true.

But if you notice, after Terraceth's post (http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post526646), I said:
                        Those are all good points. We only do have the student's point of view. I wish other kids in the class would speak up so we can hear a more complete version. The student will try to make it all sound like he is the good guy and the professor is the bad guy. But if he is correct, then the professor would indeed be biased and would make the report seem like the student was the bad guy.

And also, yeah what is up with the topic? If it is a religion class about sin and salvation, why are they talking about genders and wages?

Yet you are still already convinced the professor is innocent, and you made up your mind without even considering any other alternative, based solely on it was "Fox News!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Unless you were being sarcastic?
                          It isn't like the non-existent one has never trolled before.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wow I am impressed Jim! You actually went back and looked it up. This is all true.

But if you notice, after Terraceth's post (http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post526646), I said:

Yet you are still already convinced the professor is innocent, and you made up your mind without even considering any other alternative, based solely on it was "Fox News!"
                            No, I'm not convinced, I tend to believe the professor because unlike you I haven't been taught to believe that professors are all evil liberals who hate, and go out of their way to get conservatives. I'm not convicting the student, but I'm not convicting the professor either, you did.

Comment

No, I'm not convinced, I tend to believe the professor because unlike you I haven't been taught to believe that professors are all evil liberals who hate, and go out of their way to get conservatives. I'm not convicting the student, but I'm not convicting the professor either, you did.
                              So we can agree that nobody here knows for sure, but we each tend to believe the side that we want to believe?

Comment

So we can agree that nobody here knows for sure, but we each tend to believe the side that we want to believe?
                                Absolutely. But only one of us posts stories and defend them as if they are facts that support their ideological perspective.

Comment