Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump replaces Tillerson on Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump replaces Tillerson on Twitter

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/13/rex-tillerson-gets-bad-news-on-twitter/

Rex Tillerson gets his bad news just like we do: on Twitter
    Trump tweeted that he's replacing the Secretary of State with CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

Donald Trump tweeted today that Rex Tillerson will no longer be serving as Secretary of State and will be replaced by CIA Director Mike Pompeo. However, according to State Department Under Secretary Steve Goldstein, Tillerson didn't find out about his removal from the president and it appears that he may have heard the news through Trump's tweet. "The Secretary did not speak to the President and is unaware of the reason, but he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling," Goldstein said in a statement. Tillerson just returned from a week-long trip in Africa and the New York Times reports that there had been no sign that Tillerson was set to be fired while he was on that trip. This isn't the first time a Trump-appointed official has found out about their removal through an announcement rather than a conversation with the president. Ex-FBI Director James Comey reportedly thought he was being pranked when he learned about his firing through the news last year.

ScreenHunter_.jpg

© Copyright Original Source

Well if this is what happened, then it is just wrong. Trump should give people the respect of firing them in person rather than just posting it on Twitter.

Very unprofessional.

Come on, you really believe this?

In other news, Goldstein was fired for ignorantly running his mouth.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018...ons-dismissal/
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Come on, you really believe this?

In other news, Goldstein was fired for ignorantly running his mouth.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018...ons-dismissal/
      So what IS the Whitehouse's official story then?

The original article said that Tillerson was made aware that he would be replaced as SoS but not given any time frame. Then Trump tweeted that he was out of there. The proper way would be to call Tillerson in to his office, thank him for his service and then have a press conference announcing what happened AFTER the fact, not tweeting about it before the fact.

Comment

I really doubt that Twitter was the first time Tillerson was made aware.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          So what IS the Whitehouse's official story then?

The original article said that Tillerson was made aware that he would be replaced as SoS but not given any time frame. Then Trump tweeted that he was out of there. The proper way would be to call Tillerson in to his office, thank him for his service and then have a press conference announcing what happened AFTER the fact, not tweeting about it before the fact.
          Tillerson is going to be holding a press conference so we'll soon know exactly what he is claiming.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They're calling it "Rexit". He seems to have spoken. Said to be downbeat - "I will now return to private life."
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

[The Council on American-Islamic Relations, the largest Muslim lobbying organisation in the US, has released a statement opposing the nominations of Pompeo and Haspel.

"Those, like Mr Pompeo, who have expressed Islamophobic views and have been associated with an anti-Muslim hate group, or like Ms Haspel, who personally oversaw the torture of detainees, should have no role in our nation's government, let alone at the highest levels of policy-making," the group's director said in a statement.]
              - BBC News

I noticed that too.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                [The Council on American-Islamic Relations, the largest Muslim lobbying organisation in the US, has released a statement opposing the nominations of Pompeo and Haspel.

"Those, like Mr Pompeo, who have expressed Islamophobic views and have been associated with an anti-Muslim hate group, or like Ms Haspel, who personally oversaw the torture of detainees, should have no role in our nation's government, let alone at the highest levels of policy-making," the group's director said in a statement.]
                - BBC News

I noticed that too.
                Are you kidding? Who would listen to anything CAIR said?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/...-daniel-pipes/
                Last edited by seer; 03-13-2018, 02:28 PM.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Are you kidding? Who would listen to anything CAIR said?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/...-daniel-pipes/
                  You’re getting a bit sidetracked there, seer.

[Gina Haspel, the newly nominated first-ever female director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), is a career intelligence officer with more than 30 years' experience.

Controversially, she ran a prison in Thailand where suspected al-Qaeda members were tortured by waterboarding in 2002.

The so-called black sites - secret overseas locations where the CIA carried out what it termed "enhanced interrogation" techniques - were closed by former US President Barack Obama.

However, President Donald Trump has since spoken out in favour of the harsh interrogation of suspects.]
                  - BBC News

[Mike Pompeo has previously defended the National Security Agency's bulk data collection programme and opposes shutting the prison at Guantanamo Bay.

After visiting the detention facility in 2013, he remarked that some inmates who had declared a hunger strike looked like they had put on weight.

Mr Pompeo also defended the CIA after the 2014 release of a Senate report on torture, which detailed such practices as waterboarding.

He declared: "These men and women are not torturers, they are patriots."

The CIA tactics, he said, "were within the law, within the constitution".]
                  -BBC News

So, Haspel is a torturer and Pompeo thinks torture is a patriotic duty.

Comment

You’re getting a bit sidetracked there, seer.

[Gina Haspel, the newly nominated first-ever female director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), is a career intelligence officer with more than 30 years' experience.

Controversially, she ran a prison in Thailand where suspected al-Qaeda members were tortured by waterboarding in 2002.

The so-called black sites - secret overseas locations where the CIA carried out what it termed "enhanced interrogation" techniques - were closed by former US President Barack Obama.

However, President Donald Trump has since spoken out in favour of the harsh interrogation of suspects.]
                    - BBC News

[Mike Pompeo has previously defended the National Security Agency's bulk data collection programme and opposes shutting the prison at Guantanamo Bay.

After visiting the detention facility in 2013, he remarked that some inmates who had declared a hunger strike looked like they had put on weight.

Mr Pompeo also defended the CIA after the 2014 release of a Senate report on torture, which detailed such practices as waterboarding.

He declared: "These men and women are not torturers, they are patriots."

The CIA tactics, he said, "were within the law, within the constitution".]
                    -BBC News

So, Haspel is a torturer and Pompeo thinks torture is a patriotic duty.
                    I don't see the problem here...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

- BBC News

I noticed that too.
                      If CAIR is against him that's a good reason to support him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        I don't see the problem here...
                        I know. That’s ‘cos you’re the problem.

I’m watching you.

Comment

I’m watching you.
                          Oh yeah - what am I wearing?

Comment

[The Council on American-Islamic Relations, the largest Muslim lobbying organisation in the US...
                            It would not surprise me in the least if you actually bought this phony front as the real deal.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              If CAIR is against him that's a good reason to support him.
                              Slam dunk!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment