Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Real Reason For The Second Amendment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Reason For The Second Amendment...

Really?

Washington Post Crusades Against 2nd Amendment, Claims Guns Keep White Men On Top

The Washington Post ran an article Friday claiming gun violence is “rooted in white supremacy” and white men turn to guns as a way to “reassert their authority.”

The story, by Nathan Wuertenberg, goes on to say the Second Amendment was twisted by white men so they could “exercise authority over black men and women by violent means.” Wuertenberg blames society for having “incentivized white male violence” and believes there is a correlation between mass shootings and the empowerment of minorities.

“It’s no coincidence that the rate of gun violence, and mass shootings in particular, has risen in tandem with the expansion of rights and representation for people of color and women in recent decades,” he writes. “Mass shooters have routinely expressed white-supremacist views or motivations.”

http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/09/wa...2nd-amendment/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Close; it was actually intended to preserve slavery.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Really?
      I wonder if they tell blacks, or any other racial minority, who own a firearm that they're white supremacists and trying to reassert white authority

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Close; it was actually intended to preserve slavery.
        Starlight pushed that line awhile back.
        Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        In the slave-States, it was necessary for them to do regular patrols with their state militias to prevent the slaves escaping. It was a constant fear that the federal government would use legal loopholes in order to abolish slavery, and one of the loopholes they thought of was the idea that the federal government might ban the States from operating militias. This part of the 2nd amendment was thus written in order to guarantee the rights of individual states to operate military forces, and prevent the federal government from banning them from doing so. That was consistently how courts interpreted the amendment.
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        The Founding Fathers loathed the concept of a standing army in the control of the federal government. They considered it a threat to freedom.

For instant during the Constitutional Convention back in 1787 James Madison, long considered the "Father of the Constitution," warned against the dangers of a permanent army stating that, "A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty." He added that, "Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people."

Madison's Vice President, Elbridge Gerry (one of only three attendees to the Constitutional convention who refused to sign the U. S. Constitution because it did not then include a Bill of Rights) described standing armies as "the bane of liberty" and that the purpose of state militias was to make them unnecessary.

Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist Paper no. 8 described a standing army as being an institution that was "unfriendly to liberty."

Samuel Adams wrote in 1776 that a standing army was, "always dangerous to the Liberties of the People." He argued that professional soldiers were likely to consider themselves separate from the populace, to become more attached to their officers than their government, and to be conditioned to obey commands unthinkingly.

The fact of the matter is that standing armies terrified them. Thomas Jefferson called them "engines of tyranny" and considered them to be "dangerous to our liberties."

These men were influenced not only by their experiences with the British army who many of them saw as being comprised of ruffians and drunken thugs and thus predisposed toward a citizen army, but also by the writings of folks like the Scottish writer Thomas Gordon who wrote under the pseudonym "Cato" in the 1720s and was an adamant opponent of standing armies, viewing them as a key method of undermining ancient English liberties as can be seen his Discourse of 1722:

"There are but two Ways in Nature to enslave a People, and continue that Slavery over them; the first is Superstition, and the last is Force: By the one, we are perswaded that it is our Duty to be undone; and the other undoes us whether we will or no. I take it, that we are pretty much out of Danger of the first, at present; and, I think, we cannot be too much upon our guard against the other; for, tho’ we have nothing to fear from the best Prince in the World, yet we have every thing to fear from those who would give him a Power inconsistent with Liberty, and with a Constitution which has lasted almost a Thousand Years without such a Power..."

So your claims that militias were somehow snuck into the Bill of Rights by slaveholding states desperate to keep the federal government out of their affairs is utter nonsense.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

'The story, by Nathan Wuertenberg, goes on to say the Second Amendment was twisted by white men so they could “exercise authority over black men and women by violent means.”'

I guess that explains the epidemic of black-on-black violence in liberal cities.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            'The story, by Nathan Wuertenberg, goes on to say the Second Amendment was twisted by white men so they could “exercise authority over black men and women by violent means.”'
            This doesn't even make any sense. An armed woman vs an armed man is in a much better position than an unarmed woman vs an unarmed man.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Strange how most of the gun violence in America is done by gun-toting blacks in gangs. If it is because of white privilege how come the increase in gun violence is mostly black?

Comment

But historically it was white men who had the guns. But it was because that is what the society at the time was, a white society led by white men. The guns didn't give them the power, it was thousands of years of society and culture. It wasn't until the 20th century that women were recognized as equals in society. And yes, they would not be giving guns to slaves, or any enemies, like Indians. That is common sense. Slavery was wrong, but it was the norm in that society. You can't call it "white privilege" because the term would not make any sense.

But all that has nothing to do with today. The WaPo article was trying to show that the NRA is made up of mostly white men. So what? The NRA members are not the ones going around killing people with guns. It's the non-NRA folks: crazy teenagers, gangs, criminals, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Strange how most of the gun violence in America is done by gun-toting blacks in gangs. If it is because of white privilege how come the increase in gun violence is mostly black?
                  I'm sure there is some liberal wacko out there who genuinely believes that whites are deliberately arming blacks so they'll kill each other.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment