Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

In Space no-one can hear you Twitter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Space no-one can hear you Twitter.

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/14/president-trump-space-force/

President Trump wants to create a military ‘Space Force’

This week, while addressing service members at the Marine Corps Air Station in Miramar, California, President Trump discussed creating a branch of the armed services specifically designed to operate in space. He called it a "Space Force."

Apparently, the idea started out as a joke. "I said, 'Maybe we need a new force, we'll call it the Space Force,' and I was not really serious. Then I said, 'What a great idea,' maybe we'll have to do that," the president said. He continued to discuss why the Space Force would be a good idea. It's unclear whether the president was joking. We've asked the White House for clarification on whether the president was, in fact, in jest when he discussed this.

Joke or not, President Trump isn't close to the first person to discuss militarizing space. The Air Force already has a Space Command division that oversees our country's military operations in space. While militarizing space is a bad idea for many reasons, it's already happening. Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coates said in 2017 that "Both [China and Russia] will continue to pursue a full range of antisatellite (ASAT) weapons as a means to reduce US military effectiveness."

President Trump didn't give us any details about what exactly the Space Force would do. He said, "We may even have a Space Force, develop another one, Space Force. We have the Air Force, we'll have the Space Force." This isn't the first time such a military organization has been suggested; language that would divide the Air Force into two different branches was proposed back in 2017, but ultimately didn't make it into the defense authorization bill.

© Copyright Original Source

It is a great idea, and I'm not sure why we don't have orbital military platforms already. Seems like a no-brainer, and we've been talking about it ever since the first man-made object was launched into space.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It is a great idea, and I'm not sure why we don't have orbital military platforms already. Seems like a no-brainer, and we've been talking about it ever since the first man-made object was launched into space.
      well if we do it then so will the chinese and the russians. Do you really want nukes pointed at you from space? Or even kinetic weapons which could destroy whole cities without radiation fallout? Space should remain international and peaceful. As soon as one country tries to militarize it we will have a new cold war.

Comment

If the military space race ever happens, all I know is that I don't want the US being in last place.

Comment

If the military space race ever happens, all I know is that I don't want the US being in last place.
          It would be stupid to announce it and tell the world you are creating a "Space Force"

Comment

Outer Space Treaty 1967
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

That, of course, has not stopped our enemies from researching space-based weapons. The problem is that, thanks to previous presidential administrations, the United States is at least a decade behind in that department.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                well if we do it then so will the chinese and the russians. Do you really want nukes pointed at you from space? Or even kinetic weapons which could destroy whole cities without radiation fallout? Space should remain international and peaceful. As soon as one country tries to militarize it we will have a new cold war.
                So, just like airplanes, tanks, and nukes. It would be great if space were to remain international and peaceful. It only takes one aggressor to change that, however, and humanity is not a peaceful species.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  So, just like airplanes, tanks, and nukes. It would be great if space were to remain international and peaceful. It only takes one aggressor to change that, however, and humanity is not a peaceful species.
                  Any aliens visiting us would wonder, "Why are they pointing all their weapons at themselves?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Any aliens visiting us would wonder, "Why are they pointing all their weapons at themselves?"
                    Why to people always assume that alien visitors will be enlightened and unified and not suffer from the same divisiveness that plagues humanity?

Comment

Why to people always assume that alien visitors will be enlightened and unified and not suffer from the same divisiveness that plagues humanity?
                      Don't you watch Star Trek? The Aliens are warlike Klingons who want to enslave us. duh.

Comment

They could suffer from the same divisiveness that plagues humanity. However I sometimes image the aliens discovered us long ago but really take no interest in talking or connecting with us since they find us, even me, too stupid.
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          They could suffer from the same divisiveness that plagues humanity. However I sometimes image the aliens discovered us long ago but really take no interest in talking or connecting with us since they find us, even especially me, too stupid.

Comment

Well even if that is true they have not found you interesting enough to visit us though they would be bothered by me. So at least we can conclude you are not clever enough to make up for me.
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                              Well even if that is true they have not found you interesting enough to visit us though they would be bothered by me. So at least we can conclude you are not clever enough to make up for me.
                              Are these barely coherent attempts at insults part of a new schtick, or is this just you?

Comment