Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National School Walkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    These kids are picking up momentum. They've already caused some political fall-out, like this one. I hope they turn out to be the magic that turns the tide on the gun discussion. Personally, I'm tired of being herded by the NRA and the gun industry. It is time for things to start changing.
    Me too. But what we actually need to policies built on evidence. Replacing the NRA with just as doctrinaire people who want gun control doesn't help. It appears that there are combinations of gun laws that will help, but that's unlikely to be the only thing we need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by hedrick View Post
      Me too. But what we actually need to policies built on evidence. Replacing the NRA with just as doctrinaire people who want gun control doesn't help. It appears that there are combinations of gun laws that will help, but that's unlikely to be the only thing we need to do.
      Agreed, which is why advocate for universal background checks, a gun registration database, and funding for research, and nothing else to start.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

These kids are picking up momentum. They've already caused some political fall-out, like this one. I hope they turn out to be the magic that turns the tide on the gun discussion.
        Sounds like plan of Fake News is working, sad!

'kids are silly, but let's trust in ''''''magic''''''' of theirs, 'magic' of being manipulated by adults.'
        Last edited by demi-conservative; 03-17-2018, 07:43 PM.
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post

'kids are silly, but let's trust in ''''''magic''''''' of theirs, 'magic' of being manipulated by adults.'
          Please post using proper English, or post elsewhere.

This is not a troll thread.

Comment

That's exactly what it is. If you look at the names behind the walkout, it's a "who's who" of big money liberal activists. This is anything but grassroots.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ed-moveon-org/
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              That's exactly what it is. If you look at the names behind the walkout, it's a "who's who" of big money liberal activists. This is anything but grassroots.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ed-moveon-org/
              This story doesn't check out.

These people were not behind the walkout on my campus and no evidence is provided that they were behind the walkouts anywhere else. There are no locations, no contacts, none of the things one would expect to see from someone who is organizing walkouts.

Again, the source.

This is not conservative media, which I think it's important to follow, but conspiracy media, which has sucked much of the air out of the conservative media room, and which I think it's important to oppose, because it has sucked much of the air out of the conservative media room.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                This story doesn't check out.

These people were not behind the walkout on my campus and no evidence is provided that they were behind the walkouts anywhere else. There are no locations, no contacts, none of the things one would expect to see from someone who is organizing walkouts.

Again, the source.

This is not conservative media, which I think it's important to follow, but conspiracy media, which has sucked much of the air out of the conservative media room, and which I think it's important to oppose, because it has sucked much of the air out of the conservative media room.
                It's interesting how you go to extremes to "connect the dots" when it involves Trump and Russian ham sandwiches but show a sudden lack of curiosity in this case even when the dots are obvious and easily connected.

First, from the the ultra right-wing CNN: "Women's March organizers are encouraging students, teachers and their allies to walk out of schools on March 14 to protest gun violence."

And who's behind the Women's March? Good question. Maybe somebody should write an article about it.

Comment

It's interesting how you go to extremes to "connect the dots" when it involves Trump and Russian ham sandwiches but show a sudden lack of curiosity in this case even when the dots are obvious and easily connected.

First, from the the ultra right-wing CNN: "Women's March organizers are encouraging students, teachers and their allies to walk out of schools on March 14 to protest gun violence."

And who's behind the Women's March? Good question. Maybe somebody should write an article about it.
                  Sure. And other people were encouraging the students not to walk out.

I don't have any objection to the idea that the Parkland students and others were helped in publicity by existing liberal PR organizations. That doesn't detract with the commitment of the students involved.

I teach Sunday School to 5th - 7th grade. We talked briefly at the beginning of the session about the march. I was interested whether any had participated. A few had. One 7th grader was part of the planning committee at the middle school. She said it was entirely planned by students. But that doesn't mean they didn't talk to any adults. Some parents suggested that they simply go out in the hall rather than leave the building, and that was the official plan. (She, however, with a few others, actually did leave the building.) Knowing her, I don't have any doubt that she and a few of her friends could have done this themselves. But obviously they heard about the idea from someplace. Probably TV news. I'm sure her parents were on board. But does it only count if you get expelled and your parents throw you out of the house? In the high school they didn't walk out. My co-teacher teaches there. He would have been happy to see them do it, and I suspect the administration would have as well. But the kids didn't organize it.

Comment

CNN is right wing?

And yes - many groups have been encouraging the young people to speak out. This is not a conspiracy - it is people with a particular view encouraging others who might share that view and have a voice to exercise it. This is no different than many similar places on the right where people are encouraged to "speak out."

As for the rest of your post, since I find Brietbart to be an uncredible source (and yes - I know you're going to defend them to the end), my only response is.

The article has a title that supports a strong right-ring agenda, most of the article cites money that supported the woman's march, and (by implication only) the student march. There is also nothing odd about people who have the money and an agenda putting their words and means behind those who might speak for them. If this is a problem, why are the Koch brothers not a problem?

We have Brietbart (again) speaking out of a politically biased agenda. Big surprise...
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

CNN is right wing?
                      Do I really need to point out that I was being sarcastic?

Comment

Do I really need to point out that I was being sarcastic?
                        Which leaves everything else unresponded to...

But no need. I think we can predict the response: Brietbart is a trusted impartial news source - no one has ever successfully shown their partiality - and the liberals of this country are low-browed misanthropes out to destroy the body politic for their own personal gain....

....yeah.... right....

You know, you, Demi, and DE should form a club.

Comment

Which leaves everything else unresponded to...
                          What was there to respond to? You didn't dispute the fact that big-money liberals were behind this "grassroots" walkout, where students were turned into political puppets with liberal groups pulling the strings.

Comment

What was there to respond to? You didn't dispute the fact that big-money liberals were behind this "grassroots" walkout, where students were turned into political puppets with liberal groups pulling the strings.
                            I dispute that big money liberals were behind the "grassroots" walkout. What major backers said on their websites does not dictate what motivated these kids. Despite the right-wing meme, I know of no students who received funding from any contributors. Encouragement, yes. If you know otherwise, then please show the statistics that prove that most of these students were actually funded by liberals sources. Or...

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              I polled a third class, this one on a different campus, a different neighborhood, and a "different demographic," as I keep hearing from administrators. The results were noticeably different.

Not quite half the class said they'd feel safer if I were armed. It was less than half, more of them would not, but still, that's a lot more than just one out of the other two classes I'm teaching this term.

Then I asked how they'd feel about the instructor next door being armed. Then I asked how they felt the students next door, who didn't know me, would feel about me being armed.
                              'Feel'? This should be about thinking! You know better!!!
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

You know better!!!
                                Not in this thread, please.

Comment