Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National School Walkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son's middle school staged a walkout, but according to son, very few of the students even knew why. There was a general announcement that everybody was allowed to leave the school at a certain time, and so they did because it wasn't like there was anything productive happening in the classrooms at that time, so what was the point of staying inside? I have to wonder amidst all the crowing by liberals how typical my son's experience was.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I couldn't care less what you buy into, Chuckypoo.
      Not in this thread, please.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        Not in this thread, please.
        Tell him.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          I'm following your comments with interest, but I don't have much experience with high school students. We do have a dual-enrollment high school on campus, but it's less than 100 kids total. I like 'em, but I rarely see them in my classes anymore because they have their own instructors. I recruited one of them for my peer tutor program last semester.

When I did have a couple of dual-enrollment students from an offsite high school in one of my classes, I was instructed to treat them like any of my other students. If they're on campus, in my class, then they're "officially" adults, and not even their parents can ask me for any details on their attendance.

I'm not sure what detentions are, but I'm pretty sure I'll never have to give them.
          In my district, the dreaded "detention" is a 25 minute "time-out" that you have to serve before school (7:00 am) or after (between 2:30-3:25). If you skip, we'll give you another to teach you a lesson. (Actually, you can get in school suspension or Sat. detention that way.)
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
            In my district, the dreaded "detention" is a 25 minute "time-out" that you have to serve before school (7:00 am) or after (between 2:30-3:25). If you skip, we'll give you another to teach you a lesson. (Actually, you can get in school suspension or Sat. detention that way.)
            When I was a kid, if you skipped school, they would suspend you for a week. I never understood the logic behind that.

Comment

Looks like a bunch of students in Chicago used the walkout as an opportunity to trash a WalMart and steal snacks

Source: Chicago students trash Walmart during walkout over gun violence

Chicago police are trying to identify the dozens of students from Simeon Career Academy who they say took part in a vandalism spree while they were supposed to be protesting guns.

Shoppers and store employees were stunned by the destruction Wednesday morning at the Walmart in Chatham Market on the South Side.

Chicago police say it started when students at neighboring Simeon Career Academy were allowed to leave the school for 17 minutes to take part in the nationwide walkout to protest guns.

Police say between 40 and 60 of those students crossed the street and trashed parts of the store, knocking over product displays, yanking items off shelves, breaking packages and stealing small items like chips and candy.

In a statement, a Chicago Public Schools spokesperson says: "We are very concerned by these allegations and we are reviewing the matter."

Some of the students that FOX 32 talked to at Simeon say they're angry that a walkout intended to promote peace instead led to vandalism and violence.

FOX 32 showed the video to 21st Ward Alderman Howard Brookins, who was instrumental in getting the big box retailers to move to the South Side.

"We've worked too hard to try to get these national retailers here in our community. And this doesn't help us. It makes no sense to tear up the community which you call home,” he said.

A Chicago police spokesman says they're reviewing what he calls "high quality" video surveillance from Walmart to identify the students at fault, as well as videos posted to social media.

He says those students will likely be charged with misdemeanors and face discipline from the school.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Looks like a bunch of students in Chicago used the walkout as an opportunity to trash a WalMart and steal snacks

Source: Chicago students trash Walmart during walkout over gun violence

Chicago police are trying to identify the dozens of students from Simeon Career Academy who they say took part in a vandalism spree while they were supposed to be protesting guns.

Shoppers and store employees were stunned by the destruction Wednesday morning at the Walmart in Chatham Market on the South Side.

Chicago police say it started when students at neighboring Simeon Career Academy were allowed to leave the school for 17 minutes to take part in the nationwide walkout to protest guns.

Police say between 40 and 60 of those students crossed the street and trashed parts of the store, knocking over product displays, yanking items off shelves, breaking packages and stealing small items like chips and candy.

In a statement, a Chicago Public Schools spokesperson says: "We are very concerned by these allegations and we are reviewing the matter."

Some of the students that FOX 32 talked to at Simeon say they're angry that a walkout intended to promote peace instead led to vandalism and violence.

FOX 32 showed the video to 21st Ward Alderman Howard Brookins, who was instrumental in getting the big box retailers to move to the South Side.

"We've worked too hard to try to get these national retailers here in our community. And this doesn't help us. It makes no sense to tear up the community which you call home,” he said.

A Chicago police spokesman says they're reviewing what he calls "high quality" video surveillance from Walmart to identify the students at fault, as well as videos posted to social media.

He says those students will likely be charged with misdemeanors and face discipline from the school.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Why should we be surprised at this? After all, this is what BLM and others have taught is the way to protest
                We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

29216643_917582078422160_1742657249202929664_n.jpg

Comment

When I was a kid, if you skipped school, they would suspend you for a week. I never understood the logic behind that.
                    There isn't any.

On the specific point though, we no longer do out of school suspension because, in the most astounding confusion/conflation of causation and correlation, policy makers have decided that kids who get out-of-school suspension are more likely to end up in prison, thus the out-of-school suspension is clearly the only thing that could cause it.

fwiw,
                    guacamole
                    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

There isn't any.

On the specific point though, we no longer do out of school suspension because, in the most astounding confusion/conflation of causation and correlation, policy makers have decided that kids who get out-of-school suspension are more likely to end up in prison, thus the out-of-school suspension is clearly the only thing that could cause it.

fwiw,
                      guacamole
                      well obviously if they are out of school they are committing crimes. duh. Like truancy. That's a felony right? 20 years?

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26981[/ATTACH]
                        Yes, let's ignore the fact that the President is protected by some of the best armed security in the world.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Yes, let's ignore the fact that the President is protected by some of the best armed security in the world.
                          This is why teenagers can't set policy - they are too ignorant...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            This is why teenagers can't set policy - they are too ignorant...
                            I can't remember who the wag was who quipped that last week these are the folks who last week were eating laundry detergent, but now think they can set national policy.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's a common conservative meme that grown ups are using kids--and I'm not saying that doesn't happen--but not every instance here is one of adults using kids. There's some genuine fear and rage among these children. They will be able to vote, at some point, and it's possible that the conservatives are losing future voters. I think this is just one more step in hastening the conservative demographic suicide.

fwiw,
                              guacamole
                              The walkout at our local high school was student initiated, student planned, and student executed. The limit of the school involvement is that the school elected to give students an option: if they simply went to the walk-out, then they were "cutting classes" and they had to deal with the usual consequences (detention for a period equivalent to twice the time absent). However, they could avoid the detention if a) they were present at the demonstration for its entire duration, and b) did one of the following:
                              • submit a written essay that defends their position on guns, gun violence, and gun control. The paper has to be at least 3 pages, plus formal references/citations, and has to be turned in within 1 week of the walk-out. The paper has to be reviewed and accepted to avoid detention, or
                              • do community service for the equivalent of the time they walked-out

I love schools that take advantage of situations like this to turn it into a learning experience.
                              Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-16-2018, 04:17 PM.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                The walkout at our local high school was student initiated, student planned, and student executed. The limit of the school involvement is that the school elected to give students an option: if they simply went to the walk-out, then they were "cutting classes" and they had to deal with the usual consequences (detention for a period equivalent to twice the time absent). However, they could avoid the detention if a) they were present at the demonstration for its entire duration, and b) did one of the following:
                                • submit a written essay that defends their position on guns, gun violence, and gun control. The paper has to be at least 3 pages, plus formal references/citations, and has to be turned in within 1 week of the walk-out. The paper has to be reviewed and accepted to avoid detention, or
                                • do community service for the equivalent of the time they walked-out

I love schools that take advantage of situations like this to turn it into a learning experience.
                                One of the local schools required that any students cutting class to attend the rally had to send their teachers a video of them there.

Comment