Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National School Walkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post

I reminded him that if I were to be armed, it would be with a long gun, propped in the corner, and that he'd better have his homework in on time.
    [Fake Liberal Media Outrage] You threatened a student! You need to be thrown in jail or impeached!!! [/FLMO]

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Parading kids around as political pawns is pretty loathsome.
      It's a common conservative meme that grown ups are using kids--and I'm not saying that doesn't happen--but not every instance here is one of adults using kids. There's some genuine fear and rage among these children. They will be able to vote, at some point, and it's possible that the conservatives are losing future voters. I think this is just one more step in hastening the conservative demographic suicide.

fwiw,
      guacamole
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        It's a common conservative meme that grown ups are using kids--and I'm not saying that doesn't happen--but not every instance here is one of adults using kids. There's some genuine fear and rage among these children. They will be able to vote, at some point, and it's possible that the conservatives are losing future voters. I think this is just one more step in hastening the conservative demographic suicide.

fwiw,
        guacamole
        Oh I do believe these kids are indeed scared. And I think some adults are taking advantage of that fear and using it to "guide" the children's responses by suggesting things they should do, like "walk-outs" and protests. Then they organize these protests and rope the kids into it and parade them around as political pawns to try to shame their political opponents into submission. "look at these poor frightened and angry kids! How dare you not ban guns? Don't you want to keep our children safe?" and so on.

Comment

Good!

New Jersey school district plans on punishing students who participated in walkouts: report

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...o-participated
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Saw this on Facebook.

A wise mother:

gun.jpg
            Last edited by Sparko; 03-15-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Good!

New Jersey school district plans on punishing students who participated in walkouts: report

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...o-participated
              I suspect they will be hailed by the left as martyrs for the "cause".
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I suspect they will be hailed by the left as martyrs for the "cause".
                I imagine most school districts are giving consequences for the walkout, if for no other reason than they don't want to give students any way to wiggle out of consequences for cutting classes on any other day.
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Oh I do believe these kids are indeed scared. And I think some adults are taking advantage of that fear and using it to "guide" the children's responses by suggesting things they should do, like "walk-outs" and protests. Then they organize these protests and rope the kids into it and parade them around as political pawns to try to shame their political opponents into submission. "look at these poor frightened and angry kids! How dare you not ban guns? Don't you want to keep our children safe?" and so on.
                  On my campus, the protest was facilitated by two faculty members, the other Jesse and a music instructor, but it was organized by student government. The administration helped out by granting their requests for space and facility support, but it didn't cost anything. The A/V folks were on the clock anyway.

The protest wasn't so much agitation for any particular action so much as agitation for change. I don't require students to have a solution in hand to justify their protest. We don't require babies to explain why they're crying. Standing behind posters of 17 dead from a community 30 miles away makes a powerful point. This is unacceptable.

This needs to change.

Comment

On my campus, the protest was facilitated by two faculty members, the other Jesse and a music instructor, but it was organized by student government. The administration helped out by granting their requests for space and facility support, but it didn't cost anything. The A/V folks were on the clock anyway.

The protest wasn't so much agitation for any particular action so much as agitation for change. I don't require students to have a solution in hand to justify their protest. We don't require babies to explain why they're crying. Standing behind posters of 17 dead from a community 30 miles away makes a powerful point. This is unacceptable.

This needs to change.
                    What happens is that the politicians don't really care if the students know what they are protesting, or even if they ARE protesting guns or something else. They just want to be able to say "Look at this nationwide protest of students from all over the country, coming together in solidarity to protest for more gun control" -- in other words THEY create the "reason" for the protest even if the kids are just thinking "cool we get out of class for a few hours"

Comment

Our instructions were to coordinate with another teacher who had less than 50% walk out. How we were supposed to do that, at the literal last second, and what other teachers were supposed to do with the extra kids is unclear.
                      Unfortunately that was just the sort of chaos and confusion I suspected would result.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I imagine most school districts are giving consequences for the walkout, if for no other reason than they don't want to give students any way to wiggle out of consequences for cutting classes on any other day.
                        Many of the supporters of the walk-out are claiming it is a teachable moment, which I find hard to disagree with. But, one lesson that ought to go with it is that often being willing to take a stand comes with consequences, which would in this case be what usually happens when a student cuts class.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

fwiw,
                          guacamole
                          It's funny that you think future votes will be decided on anything other than hard racial lines. Actually they're already decided on hard racial lines for everybody except white people (who decide them on soft racial lines instead).
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

This needs to change.
                            I dunno what student government is like at your school but here in Toronto the student governments at all 3 univeristies is far to the left of the admins and professors (who aren't exactly sieg heiling anytime soon to begin with). I go to a college associated with one of them and the campus is littered with communist propaganda posters, largely produced by the student government and their pet clubs. As annoying as liberal professors are the student tyrants are far worse (and more dangerous).
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Unfortunately that was just the sort of chaos and confusion I suspected would result.
                              I imagine that the schools that decided to run programs did it as a means to controlling the kids rather than a hard and fast endorsement of a political position.

Originally posted by rogue
                              Many of the supporters of the walk-out are claiming it is a teachable moment, which I find hard to disagree with. But, one lesson that ought to go with it is that often being willing to take a stand comes with consequences, which would in this case be what usually happens when a student cuts class.
                              I agree. Our district believes that it's a teachable moment but that if it's important enough for you, it's important enough for at least two or three detentions.
                              Save me, save me"

Comment

Source: California High School Teacher On Leave After Questioning School Shooting Walkout

A Rocklin High School teacher is on paid administrative leave over her views about the national school walk out. The teacher says all she did was open up a debate about the politics of the protest in her classroom.

Mrs. Benzel teaches history at Rocklin High School.

She says it was only appropriate to talk to her class about the politics of organized protests, ahead of the school walkout.

But she says the school disagreed with her views and told her to stay home Wednesday morning.

“We had a dialogue in class about it in Thursday and Friday. And today I received the call. So I am aghast,” said Julianne Benzel.

Benzel says she never discouraged her students from participating in the national school walk out, but she did question whether it’s appropriate for a school to support a protest against gun violence if they’re not willing to support all protests.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

The last sentence is one of the things I'm concerned about. I don't think I'm too far off asserting that most school districts will only allow their students to protest for politically correct or liberal causes. Imagine, for instance, the reaction if an illegal alien killed someone that lived near a school in a "sanctuary city" and the students wanted to protest. Can you even envision a school permitting that?

Comment