Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National School Walkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And who's behind the Women's March?
    Let's see if we can rope in these tangents, deflections, and attempts to draw dots that aren't there.

Here's the actual list of people behind the walk-out.

Alyssa Alhadeff, 14
    Scott Beigel, 35
    Martin Duque, 14
    Nicholas Dworet, 17
    Aaron Feis, 37
    Jaime Guttenberg, 14
    Chris Hixon, 49
    Luke Hoyer, 15
    Cara Loughran, 14
    Gina Montalto, 14
    Joaquin Oliver, 17
    Alaina Petty, 14
    Meadow Pollack, 18
    Helena Ramsay, 17
    Alex Schachter, 14
    Carmen Schentrup, 16
    Peter Wang, 15

If not for these people, there would have been no walk-out, which is more than can be said for any of these alternative lists provided by conspiracy media sources.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Wait...it just dawned on me you might be serious. Having struggled to preserve a thread...my apologies, Lao. I violated the spirit of your thread - and I apologize.
      Overall, I'm pleased with the way folks have responded to my requests.

Just asking, as the o/p, has worked, and because I do it consistently with my started threads, I don't even have to spell out the rules anymore.

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      This is a lao tzu thread.
      Others can do this, too.

Comment

• Looks like the left is bankrolling student protests. Buried way down in the story we find this:

Source: 'Today we start a revolution': Parkland shooting survivors prepare to lead hundreds of thousands in Washington DC on historic March For Our Lives gun-control protests

George and Amal Clooney, Oprah Winfrey, and Cher were among the stars who marched in solidarity with the youngsters and their parents.

The Clooneys and Oprah each donated $500,000 to facilitate the event, as did Steven Spielberg and Jeffrey and Marilyn Katzenberg.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Looks like the left is bankrolling student protests. Buried way down in the story we find this:

Source: 'Today we start a revolution': Parkland shooting survivors prepare to lead hundreds of thousands in Washington DC on historic March For Our Lives gun-control protests

George and Amal Clooney, Oprah Winfrey, and Cher were among the stars who marched in solidarity with the youngsters and their parents.

The Clooneys and Oprah each donated $500,000 to facilitate the event, as did Steven Spielberg and Jeffrey and Marilyn Katzenberg.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And this is an issue because...?
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Because they are anti-gun rights, thankfully little will come of this.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Remember the meme that this is all student led, student organized etc.

Just saw an interview where a girl named Lucy mentioned in an off-hand way how MSNBC helped them get to the rally

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                So people who want to see more gun control should not be "putting their money where there mouth is?" Does that also apply to those who are trying too minimize gun control? Should they likewise keep their wallets in their pockets and not financially support those who advocate for what they believe in?

As for "nothing coming of this," that has been true for a long time. I think, perhaps, as with the #MeToo movement, we are beginning to see the tide turning. It may not turn immediately, but that is a LOT of future voters out there, and they have grown up in fear in high schools across the country. I suspect they are going to make a significant difference. And most of them are only a couple years away from voting - many of them may well be voting by 2020.

Go kids go!
                Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-24-2018, 12:08 PM.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Remember the meme that this is all student led, student organized etc.

Just saw an interview where a girl named Lucy mentioned in an off-hand way how MSNBC helped them get to the rally
                  What was "student led" and "student organized" was the March 14th walk-out. A 17-minute walk-out can quickly be organized by a handful of kids with 1+ million twitter followers each and the borad use of social networking in schools. However, I have seen no suggestions/claims that the March 24th (today) "March for our Lives" was "just students." It has a strong student/youth component, but clearly something of this scale would require significant adult envolvement, and financial support.

It's sad that the actions and voices of these kids are being undermined right and left because adults are helping and adults are funding. But I guess that is to be expected for an issue with such an emotional component to it for so many.
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-24-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• "Trump is Hitler!"

"Disarm us, Trump!!"

"Listen to us, we are kids!!!"

Libs stop pretense of being sophisticated, also intelligent.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Who would you expect other than people in favor of gun control to support a rally for gun control. Similarly, political action against gun control is funded by groups against gun control.

So?

Comment

Go kids go!
                        Kids are clueless, hopefully they will grow up and have some sense.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by hedrick View Post
                          Who would you expect other than people in favor of gun control to support a rally for gun control. Similarly, political action against gun control is funded by groups against gun control.

So?
                          Leftists want to undermine a constitutional right, or destroy it altogether - that is the so...

Comment

Kids are clueless, hopefully they will grow up and have some sense.
                            Kids are smarter than you give them credit for - especially high school kids.

But I agree with you - hopefully they will grow up and show some sense - and help us put some solutions in place to the gun violence in our country.

Comment

Leftists want to undermine a constitutional right, or destroy it altogether - that is the so...
                              Leftists disagree with your interpretation of that right...there's a difference.

The same is true of the right to free speech. Some might argue it is "absolute" and others will disagree with that. Or the right to freedom of religion.

All freedoms have limits. The disagreement is on where those limits should be drawn. That doesn't make anyone "anti-constitution."

But it IS a common argument for people who tend to think in black/white terms...
                              Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-24-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• For those interested in the march, and especially the 800+ worldwide sibling marches, you can see where they are all being held here: https://event.marchforourlives.com/e...events/search/

It's truly amazing the reaction that has resulted. Hopefully, it will give a few politicians some pause. At least there is enough momentum already to (at least partially) address two of the things I advocate for: research and solidifying background checks. It doesn't deal with universalizing them, and there are some who wonder if the freedom to research will make a difference. But it's a start. Perhaps, with all that is happening to day, more will happen going forward. It would be nice to see the carnage end - or at least reduce. I suspect that is something we can all agree on.

Comment