Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

2018 Midterm Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    I'm it was just pure coincidence that they decided colonialism was a bad thing right after World War II, when they simply weren't capable of keeping it going due to being so weakened from the war.
    You are too cynical. British colonialism ended because the colonial nations demanded independence and self-rule. It was given to them with good grace by the British government, because it recognised it did not have the power or financial resources to retain them. But the many of the former colonies amalgamated as The Commonwealth of Nations, which is an intergovernmental organisation of over 50 member states, comprising former territories of the British Empire. And many, such as Canada, Australia and NZ, retain the British monarch as their head of state. E.g. the queen’s official title in Australia is Queen of Australia. The resultant parliamentary system under a purely constitutional monarch provides a level of stability that simply doesn't exist in the USA.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      You are too cynical. British colonialism ended because the colonial nations demanded independence and self-rule. It was given to them with good grace by the British government, because it recognised it did not have the power or financial resources to retain them. But the many of the former colonies amalgamated as The Commonwealth of Nations, which is an intergovernmental organisation of over 50 member states, comprising former territories of the British Empire. And many, such as Canada, Australia and NZ, retain the British monarch as their head of state. E.g. the queen’s official title in Australia is Queen of Australia. The resultant parliamentary system under a purely constitutional monarch provides a level of stability that simply doesn't exist in the USA.
      This is a bit too broad. IIRC, the "good grace" was primarily shown to countries primarily populated by white people (Canada, Audtralia, NZ, etc.), and those are the countries that retain th elink to the British Crown. India was not abandoned "with good grace," nor were many (most?) of the African colonies. Things were more mixed in the far east.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        And yet you never seem to learn from them, and instead you just repeat your easily disprovable falsehoods over and over again...

...Like this utterly absurd claim. Who on earth would Europe fall to? The European nations have economies and militaries vastly exceeding any others except China. China would be their only serious challenge and it's on the opposite side of the world so is not a military threat.

A hundred and fifty years ago back when the US was isolationist in its foreign policies, the European nations ruled the world. Britain was the empire on which the sun never set because there were lands under its control all around the world, and the European powers divided up the entirety of Africa between them. They don't do that now only because they decided colonialism was a bad thing, not because they can't do it or don't have the power to do it.

Fall to who? Your delusional fantasy world is fascinating.
        Speaking of isolationalism... You are one of the most isolated people on tweb. Totally clueless about the world but think you are an expert. I guess because you can google charts.

Europe is already falling to muslim immigrants who are moving in en masse. And what comes with that? muslim extremism, bombs, being run over by trucks and vans. And that doesn't even involve the military. And where do you think europe's military get most of their military weapons and equipment?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Speaking of isolationalism... You are one of the most isolated people on tweb. Totally clueless about the world but think you are an expert. I guess because you can google charts.

Europe is already falling to muslim immigrants who are moving in en masse. And what comes with that? muslim extremism, bombs, being run over by trucks and vans. And that doesn't even involve the military. And where do you think europe's military get most of their military weapons and equipment?
          Umm...while Europe is struggling to deal with the refugees from war-torn muslim countries, I see no sign that it is "falling." And while there has been an uptick in terrorist acts in the past decade, it is not clear that any of that is related to the incoming refugees. There's a lot of fear mongering in this post, Sparko....
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Umm...while Europe is struggling to deal with the refugees from war-torn muslim countries, I see no sign that it is "falling." And while there has been an uptick in terrorist acts in the past decade, it is not clear that any of that is related to the incoming refugees. There's a lot of fear mongering in this post, Sparko....
            no. Just observation. Muslim refugees have been flooding into Europe for the last decade or so. They are taking jobs away from native Europeans, they are a burden on the welfare system, and they bring conflict with them, along with some terrorists. That's just the facts. I go to Germany every couple of years to visit family over there. Everytime I do I see more and more muslims and hear more and more complaints about them.

Here are some stats and information:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34131911
            http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36882445
            https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...r-experts-warn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              And where do you think europe's military get most of their military weapons and equipment?
              We build it ourselves, Mr "totally clueless about the world but think you are an expert".
              Last edited by Roy; 03-22-2018, 11:26 AM.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                We build it ourselves, Mr "totally clueless about the world but think you are an expert".
                A lot with American funds through NATO.

And don't forget American bases all over Europe and the UK. Even though they are trying to close a lot of them (bad idea)
                Europe depends on NATO and the Atlantic Resolve to bolster their defense. They can't even put together a united European army.

Comment

This is a bit too broad. IIRC, the "good grace" was primarily shown to countries primarily populated by white people (Canada, Audtralia, NZ, etc.), and those are the countries that retain th elink to the British Crown. India was not abandoned "with good grace," nor were many (most?) of the African colonies. Things were more mixed in the far east.
                  "Good grace" as opposed to going to war to retain the colonies in the face of their demands for independence is what I mean (America obviously being a major exception). Perhaps there were some other exceptions I can't recall off hand. And, actually, there are a lot of non-white Commonwealth countries that have retained the link to the crown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States...n_Elizabeth_II
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    "Good grace" as opposed to going to war to retain the colonies in the face of their demands for independence is what I mean (America obviously being a major exception). Perhaps there were some other exceptions I can't recall off hand. And, actually, there are a lot of non-white Commonwealth countries that have retained the link to the crown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States...n_Elizabeth_II
                    Ok - if "graciousness" is being measured as the lack of war, then I have to agree with the former post. It is an odd use of "graciousness," given the abuses the British visited on countries like India. However, you did edumacate me on the realms of Britain. I had no idea they were so numerous - and I definitely had a wrong perception about white vs. non-white countries.

Comment

Ok - if "graciousness" is being measured as the lack of war, then I have to agree with the former post. It is an odd use of "graciousness," given the abuses the British visited on countries like India.
                      Perhaps "graciousness" is the wrong word. But given that war has more often than not been the result of demands for independence, it's as good as any. It's all relative, as they say.

However, you did edumacate me on the realms of Britain. I had no idea they were so numerous - and I definitely had a wrong perception about white vs. non-white countries.
                      I was surprised myself. I knew there were more than you were suggesting (and not just white either), but not that many more.

Comment

I wasn’t aware that the Army was the only service that exist in European militaries. I also thought it took more than vehicles and guns to win a war.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          I wasn’t aware that the Army was the only service that exist in European militaries.
                          AFAIK the situation is no different for navies and air forces - and you haven't shown otherwise.
                          I also thought it took more than vehicles and guns to win a war.
                          It does - but since the reference I supplied also included body armour, comms equipment, boots, packs, respirators and thermal imaging systems, any point you think you are making is already refuted in advance.

So buzz off, troll.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

AFAIK the situation is no different for navies and air forces - and you haven't shown otherwise.
                            Around 1/3rd of the RAF’s fixed wing aircraft are US built. The Spanish Air Force operates quite a few US planes too. UAV’s, the 130 platform, the -135, and E-3’s are rather popular and operated by about every military in Western Europe.

It does - but since the reference I supplied also included body armour, comms equipment, boots, packs, respirators and thermal imaging systems, any point you think you are making is already refuted in advance.
                            Which again is a small part of the equipment and doesn’t tell us much since a few of these are originally US developments anyway. Do you even have the slightest idea of what it takes to run a military?

So buzz off, troll.
                            That’s funny, coming from the same person that spends his days belittling and insulting Christians on a Christian ran forum. Anymore lack of self awareness charges you care to bring forth?
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              Around 1/3rd of the RAF’s fixed wing aircraft are US built.
                              So around two-thirds are not, hence the RAF does not get most of its fixed wing aircraft from the US.

Thank you for helping prove Sparko wrong.

Comment

So around two-thirds are not, hence the RAF does not get most of its fixed wing aircraft from the US.

Thank you for helping prove Sparko wrong.
                                Thank you for continuing to pick nits.

Comment