Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Grand Sumo March Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe you should change your username to Sumologist.

Comment

It ain't pretty

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

It ain't pretty
        It's definitely hard on the body.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          It's definitely hard on the body.
          And after they leave the sport they are ill-trained to live any sort of normal life

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            And after they leave the sport they are ill-trained to live any sort of normal life
            What do you mean? They have the perfect body shape to become mall cops!

Comment

I'd like to give a shoutout to Kaisei. In a group of guys that are generally respectful to each other, he seems to be a particularly courteous wrestler. When he wins, he's quick to lend a hand to the other guy to help him up, keep a handle on the other guy's belt to keep him from falling off the dohyo, etc.

One of the reasons I like sumo so much is the respect and restraint they all exercise. IMO Kaisei stands out as above average in that regard. (he also happens to be sharing the lead in the tournament so far, which is cool)

Comment

Shohozan is also doing really well this tournament. Here's a fun match from yesterday:

Comment

Today is Day 9, and though I haven't watched today yet the rest of the tournament has been worthwhile. Kaisei is one of the two leaders who is still undefeated (8-0), along with Yokozuna Kakuryu. There have been a lot of intense and exciting matches so far; Tochinoshin in particular has had a couple of very impressive throws. (watch this, and skip to about 14:25 for the match I have in mind:)

Comment

Since everyone has been waiting with barely-controlled anticipation for my thoughts on the tournament, I'll sum them up here:

1. It was good to see Kakuryu totally dominant, given how poor of a year 2017 was for him. To come back in 2018 and, two tournaments in a row, secure not just a winning tournament (i.e. a minimum 8-7 score) but double-digit wins and clenching a title, is cool to see. He's still a Yokozuna.

2. Kaisei had his personal best-ever tournament (12-3, an excellent score), and was even leading the tournament with Kakuryu for a while. Staying classy and respectful as ever, Kaisei is a good one to watch.

3. Tochinoshin--who won the January tournament this year--returned at the third-highest rank of Sekiwake to not only take double-digit wins (10-5), but also be the only one to beat Kakuryu this tournament. If he can repeat that performance in the May tournament, he might make the case for promotion to Ozeki.

There were lots of interesting and exciting matches in this tournament. Now begins the long wait for May....
                    Last edited by Zymologist; 03-27-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment