Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Pedestrian Footbridge under construction in Miami collapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedestrian Footbridge under construction in Miami collapses

A pedestrian walkway still under construction near Florida International University (FIU) near Miami collapsed atop a number of people and cars. The Florida Highway Patrol confirmed that there are fatalities.

FIU Bridge Collapse: ‘Several’ Dead, 8 Cars Trapped Underneath

Multiple people killed in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami

Miami pedestrian bridge collapses, killing several, police say

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

oh man.

Comment

Comment

Ahhh, that's so sad. Praying for all who were involved.

Comment

Apparently, the companies involved with the construction have had this happen before. Also, it looks like the bridge was being worked on when it collapsed. It's pretty irresponsible to not redirect traffic underneath if you're still working on it, especially if the suspension cables aren't up yet.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...t-miami-bridge
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
            Apparently, the companies involved with the construction have had this happen before. Also, it looks like the bridge was being worked on when it collapsed. It's pretty irresponsible to not redirect traffic underneath if you're still working on it, especially if the suspension cables aren't up yet.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...t-miami-bridge
            Apparently they were conducting a stress test. Why they were doing this and allowing traffic to continue to pass underneath while they did it is indeed the question.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I saw on the news last night, someone called to report significant cracks in the bridge. It was left as a voice mail or message. It was either missed or ignored...either way, there was a warning before it happened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.04c631e65efb
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Just heard and read that the engineer that called said he did not think the public was in danger.
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Makes you wonder if this was one of those projects where they cut corners to maximize profits.

Comment

Reminders on my commute, every morning.

Ramp to SW 8th Street East
                    Closed
                    Use caution

Ramp to SW 8th Street EB
                    Closed
                    Use caution

Closed
                    Use caution

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      Reminders on my commute, every morning.

Closed
                      Use caution

Ramp to SW 8th Street EB
                      Closed
                      Use caution

Closed
                      Use caution
                      I have been wondering how close to you this was.

Comment

First the school shooting near him, now the footbridge? Jesse you need to move.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I have been wondering how close to you this was.
                          The debris is visible from the expressway.

FIUBridge.jpg

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          First the school shooting near him, now the footbridge? Jesse you need to move.
                          And the hurricane that took out the tree that took out my car.

And the parking garage collapse on my main campus that wiped the construction crew, but that wasn't this year. (They had to move c. 300 classes to nearby high schools and another campus further north.)

So long as they keep missing, I'll keep ducking.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27041[/ATTACH]

And the parking garage collapse on my main campus that wiped the construction crew, but that wasn't this year. (They had to move c. 300 classes to nearby high schools and another campus further north.)

Back in 1990 when a tornado clipped my condo (blew out the windows plastering stuff inside with dirt, pine needles, broken glass and other debris) and took off a corner of the roof, my first reaction as I watched a newspaper comic I clipped out and put on my refrigerator float down in front of me, was to sneer and mutter "missed." Basically it was similar to saying "was that your best shot"?

But, ever since that day, I do pay a lot more attention to tornado warnings.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27041[/ATTACH]

I forgot about the hurricane. Dang it Jesse, you need to be careful.

Comment