Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Finding The Will Of God, A Pagan Notion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Deflection and avoidance of the issues at hand duly noted.
    Wow. Slow down, my brother.

I'm beginning to reconsider the idea of taking you seriously.
    Interesting.

Did you have a point, or were you merely attempting to sow confusion? Continued avoidance will merely confirm the latter position. I'm looking for meat here, and your response is leaving me starving.
    Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. (Prov. 6:1-5)

"In the house of the righteous there is much treasure, but trouble befalls the income of the wicked." (Prov. 15:6)

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." (Matt. 16:9)

These are two examples of disparate voices within the scriptures. The thrust of the book of proverbs is a voice of wisdom that affords one the opportunity and justification to lead a safe, tranquil existence -- a normal life essentially indistinguishable from unbelievers on a practical level, by and large -- the majority of Christian's in wealthy nations choose to follow this voice, for obvious reasons. Then there is the radical voice of Jesus and his Apostle's that calls for believers to walk a narrow, difficult path and this voice (if literally obeyed) produces more fanatical minded believers -- such as the C.T Studd's and Paul Washer's of the world -- "We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored!" (1Cor. 4:10).

Now, if you disagree or find yourself confused; please, ask for clarification or disagree in a civilized manner. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Scrawly; 03-17-2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I'll expand a bit further, and perhaps I am misstating things, if so, I would happily receive correction and revise my view. Please be reminded that I am not so much highlighting contradictions. Rather, I am highlighting disparate voices that result in "wise Christian's" and "radical Christian's". Let's take a look at Matt. 19:29 & 1Tim. 5:8.

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life."

"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

It seems that the nascent Jesus-movement resulted in radical calls of abandon to the will of God with the Kingdom in full view, and the cares of this life ruthlessly set aside. Then the church became more organized and structured and the radicalism gradually dissipated to a more wise way of conducting oneself in this world. To this very day we have devout Christian's that deeply desire to follow the will of God, and they end up following in the spiritual steps of the "wise Christian's" or the "radical Christian's". Now, a brief exchange between a "wise Christian" and a "radical Christian", if I may:

Radical Christian:

"Dear Friend, this world is passing away! Let us use our God given talents, our resources, nay; our very lives for his eternal kingdom! O, dear friend! This life is but a breath in light of eternity! Let us abandon to the will of God with the single-mindedness displayed by our Lord and his Apostle's -- I desire to know nothing but Christ crucified! I will not serve money! I trust my Master to take care of my needs! I will advance against the kingdom of darkness with all that I have and all that I am! How could I do any less for my God who has redeemed me unto eternal salvation!?"

Wise Christian:

"Yes, well, it appears you are displaying characteristics of unwise fanaticism. Perhaps it is advisable to speak with a professional and/or conduct a CAT scan to ensure that your fanatical tendencies are not the result of any sort of brain damage or the like, and are truly grounded in God's will for your life. You see, I'm afraid your attitude and emphasis does not take into account the totality of revelation. Despite being Christian, we are still human and we need to function wisely in this world and live a balanced life in all godliness and goodness and enjoy the God-given pleasures that he has graciously bestowed upon us, my dear friend.
      Last edited by Scrawly; 03-18-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        As for the OP, I have a hard time considering how "finding the will of God" is a "me centered" thing. Surely nothing could be less self centered than seeking to do the will of God. I do mean "finding the will of God" in the most general sense, and not referring to those looking for actual voice instruction or whatever.
        I think the reference is to looking at a search for detailed instructions on specific issues. It is as though God requires us to seek out our secret guide to life God want us to live. It is this "secret" will that is the self centered business, at least as far as I am able to see.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
          I'll expand a bit further, and perhaps I am misstating things, if so, I would happily receive correction and revise my view. Please be reminded that I am not so much highlighting contradictions. Rather, I am highlighting disparate voices that result in "wise Christian's" and "radical Christian's". Let's take a look at Matt. 19:29 & 1Tim. 5:8.

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life."

"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

It seems that the nascent Jesus-movement resulted in radical calls of abandon to the will of God with the Kingdom in full view, and the cares of this life ruthlessly set aside. Then the church became more organized and structured and the radicalism gradually dissipated to a more wise way of conducting oneself in this world. To this very day we have devout Christian's that deeply desire to follow the will of God, and they end up following in the spiritual steps of the "wise Christian's" or the "radical Christian's". Now, a brief exchange between a "wise Christian" and a "radical Christian", if I may:

Radical Christian:

"Dear Friend, this world is passing away! Let us use our God given talents, our resources, nay; our very lives for his eternal kingdom! O, dear friend! This life is but a breath in light of eternity! Let us abandon to the will of God with the single-mindedness displayed by our Lord and his Apostle's -- I desire to know nothing but Christ crucified! I will not serve money! I trust my Master to take care of my needs! I will advance against the kingdom of darkness with all that I have and all that I am! How could I do any less for my God who has redeemed me unto eternal salvation!?"

Wise Christian:

"Yes, well, it appears you are displaying characteristics of unwise fanaticism. Perhaps it is advisable to speak with a professional and/or conduct a CAT scan to ensure that your fanatical tendencies are not the result of any sort of brain damage or the like, and are truly grounded in God's will for your life. You see, I'm afraid your attitude and emphasis does not take into account the totality of revelation. Despite being Christian, we are still human and we need to function wisely in this world and live a balanced life in all godliness and goodness and enjoy the God-given pleasures that he has graciously bestowed upon us, my dear friend.
          If your intent was to confirm my inclination to not take you seriously, you've succeeded.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            If your intent was to confirm my inclination to not take you seriously, you've succeeded.
            What specifically is wrong with his reasoning here?

I'm not in full agreement with the implications he presents but there are reasonable questions presented.
            Last edited by KingsGambit; 03-18-2018, 07:25 PM.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              What specifically is wrong with his reasoning here?

I'm not in full agreement with the implications he presents but there are reasonable questions presented.
              Yes, it is a thorny issue, to be sure. Now, this will undoubtedly open an eschatological can of worms but I think it directly ties into the fanaticism we find in scripture -- the belief in the imminent return of the Messiah. Passages of scripture seem to clearly indicate that the Apostle's and early believers were expecting Christ to return "soon". Therefore, why on earth (which is passing away) would you spend time engrossed in the affairs of this life, and not go all out for our King -- who is standing at the door -- ready to judge the living and the dead -- and usher in our eternal dwelling! It is quite reasonable, nay, sane to be a fanatic, if you believe the end is at hand. Some scriptures to investigate, if you so desire: 1 Jn. 2:17-18; Rev. 1:3; 1 Cor. 10:11; Heb. 10:36-37; Jas. 5:8,9; 1 Pet. 4:7, etc. The modern day "radical Christian" echoes this fanaticism and instead focuses on the brevity of life (and the radical commands) as opposed to the imminent return of Christ.

Comment

Whether we call them "contradictions" or "disparate voices," Scrawly is making excellent points. Why dismiss them so high-handedly, as if reconciling the diverse passages of Scripture is some trivial matter?
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

In the vast majority of cases, the "will of God," in the sense of "What should I do and how should I behave in this situation?" is covered by "Love your neighbor as yourself" and "Treat others as you wish others to treat you."

I've heard some believers opine along the lines that the only way God "speaks" to us today is through Scripture. (I've sometimes heard the expression, "propositional statements of Scripture," or something close to that.) That's the kind of incorrect (or at least incomplete) understanding that, in the case of a questionable personal character, can lead to Joy Behar-type mockery.

Others have beaten me to the punch in pointing out places such as Acts 15:28 and 16:6, where believers got some sort of direct guidance. In a few of his books, such as Gift and Giver -- The Holy Spirit for Today, Keener shares some interesting personal anecdotes of being led by the Spirit.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment